Visit to El Laguito

Went out to El Laguito for a visit, security does seem to have tightened in the place, which is not a bad thing really.

Good to see people there again. Jose, the new director, for just over a year now, gave us a warm welcome and some news about the factory.

Production was up last year, didn't go into numbers, they are building on more space at the back of the building to allow for even more production.

Currently they are experiencing a shortage of decent quality wrappers, there were weather issues last year. We heard the same from farmers when we went out to Pinar del Rio. They are making do though.

While we were there, they were banding up the Trinidad Vigias for the Wednesday night festival event.

Only the festival Vigias were to be rolled in El Laguito, regular production, we were told, will be at the Trinidad factory in Pinar del Rio.

Pictures

Banding the Vigias

post-3053-0-77403400-1394793498_thumb.jp

If your Cohibas taste a bit like Guinness in 2014/15, here's your reason..

post-3053-0-50391400-1394793501_thumb.jp

Jose and Berta, good people

post-3053-0-70161600-1394793505_thumb.jp

Panoramic shot of the despilallo

post-3053-0-66059900-1394793508_thumb.jp

Behikes

post-3053-0-08085000-1394793513_thumb.jp

Vigias

post-3053-0-53582300-1394793516_thumb.jp

Banding station

post-3053-0-65080200-1394793520_thumb.jp

Colour sorting

post-3053-0-97249400-1394793524_thumb.jp

More sorting/quality control

post-3053-0-63262800-1394793529_thumb.jp

Some cigars

post-3053-0-20110600-1394793537_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Great pics, thanks for sharing... but those shorts! surprised.gifno.gif

I'll have you know, those shorts got a lot of compliments.

At least. people honked horns, laughed and gave me a thumbs up!

smile.png

I walked into a field in Pinar del Rio and my bottom half disappeared..

Thanks for the awesome pictures and info.

Currently they are experiencing a shortage of decent quality wrappers, there were weather issues last year.

So what have they been using instead? Bad quality, or other type like sun grown to make up for the lack of shade grown?

Thank you for the insight, Andy and good to see Berta.

I concur with the "shortage" comment made to you, as friends at EL involved in production told me privately that EL had no "materia prima" to roll cigars and was only open because of the Festival with closures planned due to said lack of material.

• Like 1

Thank you for the insight, Andy and good to see Berta.

I concur with the "shortage" comment made to you, as friends at EL involved in production told me privately that EL had no "materia prima" to roll cigars and was only open because of the Festival with closures planned due to said lack of material.

Something I noticed too, it did seem a little quieter there this year. The room with the pallet of Behikes in the picture was literally filled with pallets last year, of course some of that might have been a timing thing.

Thanks for the awesome pictures and info.

So what have they been using instead? Bad quality, or other type like sun grown to make up for the lack of shade grown?

It's one of those questions in Cuba. "Production is up but good quality wrappers are harder to find". There might be 100 answers to that question, 50 of those correct. It's hard to explain.

Having said that, the wrappers on the cigars I saw looked very good.

Guys, I think it what answered before but being short of good leaves now will reflect in which year/month boxes??

Did you explain to the colour girl sorting that as a matter of fact she was doing the PE/HQ/PSP quality control?

• Like 1

It depends where in the factory the bundle is but it usually means that the bundle has been through whatever process it is due to go through at that point in the factory, colour sorting, quality control etc. a visual indicator that that bundle is ready to move on.

• Like 1