Dunhill lighter flint help

I actually went through this same process with a gold St DuPont lighter I bought in Italy. First, you should know that there is a replacement flint hidden inside the lighter, James Bond style. That little lever to the left of the word "Dunhill" pushes down and releases a small catch that opens and shows extra flints inside. One, maybe two.

Here is where you can order the red flints you need,

http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalog/Dunhill-Replacement-Flints-1662.html#SID=123

Nice little pickup CQ!

What kind of gas does it take? I heard it can be hard to fill the older dunhill models because the older inlets on the bottom.

Looks very smart mate.

Side strike lighters are a joy to use, plus I much prefer lighting with a soft flame.

Will you be giving this a restoration treatment like you did with your duponts?

Nice little pickup CQ!

What kind of gas does it take? I heard it can be hard to fill the older dunhill models because the older inlets on the bottom.

Looks very smart mate.

Side strike lighters are a joy to use, plus I much prefer lighting with a soft flame.

Will you be giving this a restoration treatment like you did with your duponts?

Butane! I only found out a few days ago that Dunhill were apparently the first people to make butane lighters too.

I've moved away from torch flames completely over the last year too, the lighting is a lot more relaxing for me; even when taking my time with a torch it felt similar to that point when you're frying a steak and a few seconds too much or too less will mess everything up lol

Restoring hopefully although it's mostly cosmetic, a bit of cleaning and silver polish etc. it's in working order apparently so no major surgery planned, fingers crossed.

I looked into the internals and these things come apart completely around a simple central spine and nearly all failures are the rubber o-rings which you can get replacements for with a how-to guide for £2, sorted! :D no 5 hour dupont jigsaw puzzles hopefully lol

My mrs bought me a Dupont lighter for our first year together, things a pain in the arse to fill but I love her so I love the lighter and all its faults, much like her haha.

Top stuff! Got a pic?

I've two Colibri butane cans and think I'm going to pick up a can of the Dunhill gas too as it's the same price, between the official can and the half dozen adapters that come with Colibri cans hopefully I can get fire!

I can't imagine it being more finicky than the dupont; screwing in adapters, rubbing this, chanting that etc etc God I hope not!!

Thanks! I think Dunhill actually use the softest flints out of all lighters to create the biggest spark and ease wear and tear on the parts, they say to regularly brush down the wheel etc to make sure this softer flint build-up doesn't affect the working of the lighter.

I actually feel like a kid at Christmas waiting for it to arrive, for the price of a box of RyJ Cedros de luxe #3 I think I know the feeling of the eBay high! :D

Greetings, I just bought a Dunhill S Type Rollagas from 1972 for $60 yesterday. it's pretty nice and it is silver plated. It may need repaired but I hope not. I will post a pic after I get it , clean it up and it's working. Thanks for reminding me to get a vintage Dunhill. It will probably be my go to lighter when wind is not an issue. This will be a good conversation piece like yours, because it is different and decades old. Thanks !!!!

Very cool, do some before and after pics! From what I saw, dunhills seem a lot more fixable by someone who just has lots of patience, like if you used to make airfix models, and there are complete guides on the Internet to help you along.

Replacement o-rings are on eBay (for the lighter, not you if you get too stressed) for cheap too so more good news!