Tough EU smoking rules approved

Anti smoking legislation is to be introduced across the EU in an attempt the cut the number of smokers by 2.4 million

The rules, voted in by the EU parliament, mean picture health warnings will have to dominate the front and back of all packaging.

There will also be a total ban on flavoured cigarettes, such as menthol.

Source- BBC

What is it, like 1 out of 5 cigarette smokers develop lung cancer? How about the other 4? Obviously, cigarette smoking is bad, but a lot of developing cancer is genetic. People that enjoy smoking should be able to enjoy it without any nasty pics on packages. Also, It's also not going to make a difference to people who are already hooked.

• Like 2

It's the Bureaucracy validating their existence Dan. In many places the State is the largest employer. Since they aren't a real business they are in the business of passing laws and regulations about how we can behave. To fund these twits they tax us and the products they deem "harmful." It's a sickness that is spreading uncontrollably across the globe.

El Prez said it the best in another thread, that Australia was the most expensive place in the world to do anything fun.

In slightly confused why cars don't have graphic pictures front, side and back of car crashes, the effects of kids being hit by cars, millions of children worldwide with asthma because they live in polluted cities with toxic air from exhausts etc

I guess I'm just not smart enough to understand the difference!

• Like 1

Welcome to the club the pack warnings will no doubt be followed by tax hikes that's what's happened here on OZ

What is it, like 1 out of 5 cigarette smokers develop lung cancer? How about the other 4? Obviously, cigarette smoking is bad, but a lot of developing cancer is genetic. People that enjoy smoking should be able to enjoy it without any nasty pics on packages. Also, It's also not going to make a difference to people who are already hooked.

As someone that's worked in the medical profession for the last 12 years,predominantly in and around the oncology/haematology field,I can tell you that the vast and overwhelming number of cancers I've seen are completely unrelated to lifestyle in any way (purely empirically based on my own behalf).

Something else that also seems to stand out to me is the number of times I've heard people say words to the effect of "I don't understand it,I've never smoked and I've always tried to live healthily".I'm certain that in many ways the collective media has,over the last few years,convinced people that as long as they don't smoke or drink to excess and as long as they eat their 5 fruit & veg a day etc that they'll live long and prosperous lives and never become afflicted with anything,especially cancer......and that just simply isn't anywhere close to being accurate!

• Like 2

Was checking a cigars store here in Singapore the other week and as expected they have to stick ugly stickers on the cigar boxes as per regulation. Wanted to see the box which was impossible as the sticker covered the whole Cohiba box.

The guy smiled grab the box, removed the sticker just like this and attached again later. They must use a kind of adhesive glue.

Kind of smart.

these warning/ zombie pictures are to try to keep people that dont smoke from starting (read youth ) ... already addicted well maybe they care a bit .

oddly enough ... the only demographic in canada that has an increasing number of smokers is the young smokers .

derrek

It's the Bureaucracy validating their existence Dan. In many places the State is the largest employer. Since they aren't a real business they are in the business of passing laws and regulations about how we can behave. To fund these twits they tax us and the products they deem "harmful." It's a sickness that is spreading uncontrollably across the globe.

El Prez said it the best in another thread, that Australia was the most expensive place in the world to do anything fun.

I think Singapore beats AUS by some. The "sin" tax was already bad but they just passed the new budget that has the alcohol tax going up an additional 25% and tobacco 10-15%. Nuts...

At least there are a lot of patios that you can still smoke at. I am sure it will be a matter of time before those go but I hope not too soon!!

I always wonder why its called a "sin" tax when what im doing doesnt concern others. If its a "sin" to smoke or drink, its between me and god and who tf are you to say im comitting "sins"

Wowsers would say otherwise. We live in an age where the rights of the individual are paramount. So mutual respect and tolerance have become antiquated ideals. In this way we are our own worst enemy. The pendulum will eventually swing the other way, but probably not in this lifetime.

these warning/ zombie pictures are to try to keep people that dont smoke from starting (read youth ) ... already addicted well maybe they care a bit .

oddly enough ... the only demographic in canada that has an increasing number of smokers is the young smokers .

derrek

Crazy isn't it. Tell teenagers they can't do something, hide tobacco behind shutters and say they are not old enough to buy it. They expect this to STOP teenagers wanting to try tobacco lol?

It doesn't really matter anyway, every other kid I see walking to school near me is puffing on electronic cigarettes- unregulated, untested, no age restrictions, thousands if flavours, the most popular seeming to be red bull or weed.

His knows what the repercussions of that will be, starting at 11 with that stuff

Crazy isn't it. Tell teenagers they can't do something, hide tobacco behind shutters and say they are not old enough to buy it. They expect this to STOP teenagers wanting to try tobacco lol?

It doesn't really matter anyway, every other kid I see walking to school near me is puffing on electronic cigarettes- unregulated, untested, no age restrictions, thousands if flavours, the most popular seeming to be red bull or weed.

His knows what the repercussions of that will be, starting at 11 with that stuff

Those e cigarettes are freaky. I am not convinced they are safe. Especially these flavors. I can just imagine the chemicals that those are made from being inhaled directly.

They are age restricted in England just same as fags 18 or over and just yesterday there was EU regulations governing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are age restricted in England just same as fags 18 or over and just yesterday there was EU regulations governing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did that come in? It must be recent, doesn't seen to have limited the kids consuming them. I guess it's easier to buy the e fluid stuff on the net too