SP Belicoso

I don't post much and I mainly read and learn from the board but I felt the need to post a slight review of a recent purchase from Rob. Last month I picked up a box of Sancho Panza Belicosos in the hand picked section. I've had a love affair with this cigar for quite some time, always trying to chase that perfect one I experienced in 2003. They aren't a powerhouse but the flavors that an "on" one gives you is quite an experience. When I first received the box two weeks ago, it was a sight to behold. The box looked like a perfectly dressed inspection ready military brigade. Each one uniform throughout, dressed in a dark brown wrapper, polished with an oily sheen. The barnyard smell upon opening the box was a bouquet I've only smelled on the finest creations coming from Cuba. I let them sit until today. Prior to cutting and lighting it, I rolled it between my thumb and middle finger, the oils glistening in the light. A pre light draw exposed pure tobacco and cedar. The construction, perfect. I lit the cigar, perfect draw. The cigars flavors through the entire experience are as follows; light saltiness, toasted tobacco, nuances of roasted nuttiness, light cedar notes, and a hint of unsweetened dark chocolate. The cigar needed a minor touch up but other than that, it was a perfect burn. This cigar is not a full bodied smoke, for those of you who prefer that but, it was a solid medium bodied cigar, solid. Rob did an amazing job with this one. I have 24 left and hope all of them display the performance this one did. I can only imagine what a little age will do to this cigar. My hat is off to the Czar on this one.

• Like 2

I tried one for the first time last week. I've never felt drawn to it but now wish I had tried them sooner. I absolutely loved it. I have to wonder why you don't hear of them more. Maybe just due to the name and boring brand? Either way they are in the top few of my next boxes to pick up.

Anybody not have good luck with these? I'm thinking about a box and would like to hear from the other side, if they are around.

I have recently smoked half a dozen of these from two different boxes from 2012, and they were Ok. I would not say they were bad, but they were not as good as expected…. I would give them a good rating, but I would take a BPC or a JL#2 instead.

I have to wonder why you don't hear of them more. Maybe just due to the name and boring brand?

What's boring in the name and/or brand? The literary reference and the discrete band?

FYI the Molinos was one of the top lonsdales in the 90's and 2000's, one could find it everywhere, it was (and still is) very popular in Spain, France and Europe in general…

• Like 1

What's boring in the name and/or brand? The literary reference and the discrete band?

FYI the Molinos was one of the top lonsdales in the 90's and 2000's, one could find it everywhere, it was (and still is) very popular in Spain, France and Europe in general…

Boring in the sense that the band is very low key. I have no problem with it, but it does not fit the current multi-band, six inch long, extra flash trend.

As far as the name goes, I meant that it is not recognized in the same way that the big boys are.

Fine with me though. More chance I will find an aged box at a reasonable price.

Anybody not have good luck with these? I'm thinking about a box and would like to hear from the other side, if they are around.

It's a favorite go to cigar of mine but I would encourage to never buy this one blind. I've seen horrible construction issues (too loose, plugged boxes, cracked bodies, poorly rolled, bad heads, etc.) that make them hard to enjoy. But when you do find a nice HQ box they are pleasant when rested for 3 years minimum from my experience. They have great potential but fresh can sometimes be challenging.