Desktop Humidity Level

Hi guys,

A few of my desktop humidors which I use to hold singles have fallen in humidity from a pretty consistent 65-67% to now low 60, high 50s... I haven't change a thing. I have maintained for years with these desktops (use boveda exclusively for these, replacing when needed).

This has been a very dry and brittle winter both for my home and the weather but the room I keep cigars in stays around 40-50% humidity...

Any suggestions? Is it useful or a common practice to re-season desktop humidors?

These are all hardwood built handmade humidors that I try to take good care of and hope to not have any wood suffer.

Thanks,

Adam

In my experience using daniel Marshall humidors since 1998, every 4-5 years I run into the same thing and have to give humidors a tune up and that always solves the problem. Every ten years I get a new humidification device.

The temperature in the room changed a lot? It reflects in the humidity even inside a very good sealed humidor.

It stays pretty consistent between 64-70 degrees where I keep all my stash.

In my experience using daniel Marshall humidors since 1998, every 4-5 years I run into the same thing and have to give humidors a tune up and that always solves the problem. Every ten years I get a new humidification device.

Do you re season the Daniel Marshall's?

Do you think it could do any harm to the hard wood?

I sat through a presentation about Bitcoin the other day. Do yourself a favor and google Bitcoin and money laundering and you will see why it has the attention of law enforcement around the world at present.

huh?

That was weird. Had multiple tabs open and posted in El Prez's PP alternative thread. Maybe have to start using another browser. Everytime I do that using Cometbird it seems to happen now and then.

Do you re season the Daniel Marshall's?

Do you think it could do any harm to the hard wood?

When I re-season I simply remove the sticks living in there and place a wet sponge inside and give it a day or two... The cedar will take/release the moisture as it naturally is meant to, so no harm there so long as you remove the cigars first

I'm in the middle of seasoning a DM humidor. Instructions say may take as long as 10 days. Tend to agree with their instructions vs the instructions I have for another humidor which states may take only three days while checking every day until it hits 75 and it's good to go. I just put a plastic bag in the bottom and stick two to three new sponges soaked in distilled water and close the lid for a day. Verify the next to make sure the hydro reads 75%+ and then close it for 9 days to be sure. Only problem since was one of my cheap humi had a cedar seal warp slightly which required a couple brass screws. Reseason the humi and back in business.

use bovida packs. take your cigars out every 12 to 18 months in ziplock bag and re-treat with bovida pack designed to season humidor. That will ensure the wood does not split and the moisture goes into the humidor, no the cigars. Close lid and wait a few days for it to normalize to 68 or so. Add cigars and monitor.

I bought a Hydra humidification system and it works excellent. No boveda bags or sponges. If you do the modification you can get 3 months without having to refill with distilled water. Its doing the trick on my 300 cigar humidor.

Ya I would like to get an electronic humidification unit for all my desktops but need to save up. Boveda surely isn't cheap easer but I found it more reliable than any water packs or beads I've used.

I'm currently transitioning from Boveda bags to this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UMLZQ2/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And stuffing it in this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LOENHM/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From reports I have heard the stuff is formulated to hold at 67% and requires far less maintenance. Just have to pour the amount you want in the bag. Add Distilled water alcohol mix like normal but tablespoon at a time until you hit 67% and just leave it.