Humidor history?

Pedro2486

Hi all

Just read a review of Zino Davidoffs Book and it said that, among other achievements, he was the inventor of the humidor.

So my question to the gurus among us. What was used to keep cigars in tip top shape before this?

I'm assuming jars or similar

Cheers

Humidors have been around for centuries in the form of boxes, jars, cases ect. Just like your story, others claim Dunhill invented the humidor in 1907. Neither are accurate really because storage devices designed for cigars have been around for centuries.

Humidors are old and Davidoff did not invent the humidor.The humidor started out like an old box shaped object and It had LEAD insides with the outside made of different woods.It all really stared in the 18th century. Before that ,the cigars were just kept in metal boxes or just wooden turn about boxes or furnitures made of any wood that was exotic.Later, the insides were lined with white ceramic also .The famous composer FRANZ LISZT was well known to go nowhere without his stage coach tranformed into a big humidor and carried his cigars everywhere he went to in Europe.

And just for the info, he accepted to go in a monestery,(when he got old ) only If he could smoke his cigars everyday.

Guy

Humidors have been around for centuries in the form of boxes, jars, cases ect. Just like your story, others claim Dunhill invented the humidor in 1907. Neither are accurate really because storage devices designed for cigars have been around for centuries.

You're such a buzzkill . . . I'll bet you don't believe Al Gore invented the internet either . . . :P

You're such a buzzkill . . . I'll bet you don't believe Al Gore invented the internet either . . . tongue.png

No, but I'm pretty sure Al Gore did in fact invent Booty Beads! , at least that's what Rob said......

No, but I'm pretty sure Al Gore did in fact invent Booty Beads! , at least that's what Rob said......

Oh reaaaalllly . . . Al baby! What a service to mankind! party.gif

Nice!

thank you all for your replies great learned ones peace.gif

It did seem a bit suspect - the cedar box only being invented a century ago

O.K. !!!! Zino was the only shop that was orffering a humidifyed surrounding for cigars, after world war 2 ,He was the only person to offer such a thing after the war but It doesn't mean that HE invented the Humidor.No one person did.

Guy wink2.gif

• 10 months later...