Remote monitoring system?

AlainZaramian

I don't know if this has ever been brought up, but am wondering if there exists any hygrometer/thermometer which can be remotely monitored through a computer/smartphone application? This probably makes me come off as incredibly lazy, but I find it annoying to regularly open my humidor just to make sure the temperature/humidity is fine. Ideally, I'd like something that would notify me, for example, if the humidity drops below a certain level. I know this sort of remote monitoring system exists for plants (my dad's a crazy gardener and he's got a similar system set up for his flowers), so I'm hoping it exists for cigars, too!

Thanks!

A couple of friends of mine are starting up a humidor management product. It's meant for large cabinets and walk ins. They've created their own temp/RH sensors, custom hardware and software. They're into the beta stage. I don't have full specs but some of the features are cool. Inventory management, RH management, water reservoir status, door open/close alerts, mobile apps, web portals, etc. There are some wireless adds on for the Cigar Oasis units and a few other products out there.

La Crosse has one that you can link to you wireless network, and if you have an iPhone you can view the humidity and temperature on your phone with an available app that you download.

There is another company that has one about the size of a USB stick and does the same on a phone, or you can track on a computer.

Can't remember the name of that one though.

La Crosse unit is on eBay and Amazon for sale.

Hope it helps!

Working away from home for 4 weeks at a time, this technology would be helpful to help monitor my fridges while I was away from home

It woulbe nice to be able to check the status of my cigars from some remote location andif the RH is low just send an email to the missus asking her to refill my beads

Working away from home for 4 weeks at a time, this technology would be helpful to help monitor my fridges while I was away from home

It woulbe nice to be able to check the status of my cigars from some remote location andif the RH is low just send an email to the missus asking her to refill my beads

LOL, you have a special woman if she will do this.

I see two schools of thought here. These are as follows. One, is leaving your cigars in a trusted environment with proper controls capable of doing the job allowing you to relax while you are away. The second, is a system that tells you while you are away that your controls are failing you! I prefer the former over the later.

I think connectivity is great! What it does not do, is control your cigars properly while you are at home or away.

My control solution is build on an industrial refrigeration control with a non volatile memory, parametric logic controller. Control of the humidor environment is paramount and foremost. Based on that model, reporting is of little importance.

With a "building a precision humidor, with limited resources model," one must choose requirement and quantify their importance to the project. My attitude is precision and reliability first and all other functions last!

First, a humidor must care for your cigars, not only while you are away, but while you are there. Sacrificing any form of precision and reliably to get it connected to your smart phone is a gimmick! If you can have it all, well that is great, but cutting any part of control for connectivity is a poor choice (MHO).

My suggesting to anyone building a custom humidor is to make sure your controls work, and your cigars are kept in proper smoking shape. Simple controllers made by many simply don't do the trick. Every humidor, pared with an infinite range of ambient conditions is different. Unless you can control activation and differential logic functions… your humidor controller is junk! Sending you an email letting you know you bought junk, is salt in the wound!!! -LOL

I kind of have to laugh at a lot of this! I mean why spend a dollar on connectivity, when you won't spend the money on a data logger? The data logger will tell you if your humidor works or not… yet only few posses them. I guess proving that your humidor works is a low priority! Showing your tour guide that your humidor reports back to you is what is really important!!! -LOL

Cheers! -the Pig

LOL, you have a special woman if she will do this.

For the past two years now, my wife has been "trained". She is now one with Zen and the art of cigar management. LOL. Many group buys, locker stored boxes, and other miscellaneous boxes have come in the mail when I've been away. She knows how to note the particulars down, received date, box particulars, open and inspect for damage and/or mold and/or quality. She then sends all this info to me via text, and also takes pictures and sends them as well. Then she starts the 3-days-fridge, 3-days-freezer, 3-days-fridge freezing process, and catalogues them into the proper coolerdors for me.

Trust me - it makes life easier for my (and Frank's, and Stephen's, etc., etc.) cigars when they come in, in my absence.

There is one MAJOR drawback though....

She realized I had more than just the one cabinet and coolerdor. Let's just say she was...um, surprised. :whip:

Her purse and shoe budget has therefore been increased, in a singular upper-management decision. :D

• 3 weeks later...

For the past two years now, my wife has been "trained". She is now one with Zen and the art of cigar management. LOL. Many group buys, locker stored boxes, and other miscellaneous boxes have come in the mail when I've been away. She knows how to note the particulars down, received date, box particulars, open and inspect for damage and/or mold and/or quality. She then sends all this info to me via text, and also takes pictures and sends them as well. Then she starts the 3-days-fridge, 3-days-freezer, 3-days-fridge freezing process, and catalogues them into the proper coolerdors for me.

Trust me - it makes life easier for my (and Frank's, and Stephen's, etc., etc.) cigars when they come in, in my absence.

There is one MAJOR drawback though....

She realized I had more than just the one cabinet and coolerdor. Let's just say she was...um, surprised. whip.gif

Her purse and shoe budget has therefore been increased, in a singular upper-management decision. biggrin.png

Hah, well "trained", indeed. That is quite the impressive list of tasks she's agreeable to! Everything in my household is very much "quid pro quo", so I think my wife would be agreeable to most things, provided her budget to Anthropologie (sad I know this) and Nordstrom shoes is properly bumped up.

Unfortunately, she is as active in our bank account as I am so there is no way to sneak another humidor (of any kind) without her explicit knowledge...lol. But, as with anything, provided she gets the proper "inspiration" she'll be agreeable to most things. lol.

• 1 year later...

I wanted to bump this thread to see what is the latest. I tried to google the kick start product but haven't found it.

Also i'm wondering if David is still happy with his set up and which model he went with as the link shows different options.

The new line of Cigar Oasis humidifiers have a wifi module and an app for both google and apple. Haven't used it but seems decent enough.

• 9 months later...

http://store.wirelesstag.net/products/wireless-tag-pro

Are you using these? I am considering this option for my second wineador i just ordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 5 tags in my humidor, overkill but the tags were on offer !The system works really well, the data is stored in the my tag cloud and you can access it from anywhere so long as you have internet access. The phone app is great. In addition to the tags you'll also need an ethernet tag manager wireless receiver that you connect to your computer at home.

The tags can be calibrated but they were pretty accurate out of the box.

• Like 2

I have 5 tags in my humidor, overkill but the tags were on offer !The system works really well, the data is stored in the my tag cloud and you can access it from anywhere so long as you have internet access. The phone app is great. In addition to the tags you'll also need an ethernet tag manager wireless receiver that you connect to your computer at home.

The tags can be calibrated but they were pretty accurate out of the box.

I received my first set of tags a week or two ago, just haven't time to put them to use yet. Picked up a five pack to see how well they do. Seems like based on your experience they work will.

Just curious, but how big is your humidor and why five tags? If you have a walk in then yes I could see setting five tags in random areas. If it's a smaller humidor, like say a 500 count, wouldn't five be overkill and could easily use one?

I received my first set of tags a week or two ago, just haven't time to put them to use yet. Picked up a five pack to see how well they do. Seems like based on your experience they work will.

Just curious, but how big is your humidor and why five tags? If you have a walk in then yes I could see setting five tags in random areas. If it's a smaller humidor, like say a 500 count, wouldn't five be overkill and could easily use one?

I have an Aristocrat (Mxt 26.5-3674) with 6 shelves. The five pack tags were on offer and since they had to come from the US to Oz, I just went for it. I put a tag on shelf 1, 3 & 5 and keep two in the room. I also have a couple of calibrated EL-USB+ data loggers in there to keep the tags honest. As I said earlier you can tweak the tag calibration if you need to.

06fa25a28cae1f2cfccd09dea76314d6.jpg

You can get a bit anal (can I say that ??) with all the monitoring but it really has helped since the humidor is relatively new and I'm going through my first summer (38C in the shade) up to 28C in the room. My problem at the moment is when I run the cooler the humidity in the humidor goes through the roof +75%. You can pick up the tag data anytime as I mentioned earlier. Here's one tag....

ae53ce52ba1bd1de3b42f7d0d85ffee3.jpg

You can see what happens when the cooler kicks in. With the cooler running the humidity climbs, switch the cooler off, the temp jumps up to room temp but the humidity drops....

So right now I'm trying to "dry out" the cabinet in the evening when it is cooler in the room (24C and 65% humidity). The cabinet is also stuffed full with beads and damp-rid to help the process. Have to close the doors tomorrow...here's the weather for the next week..

49d946943ac38d3de4f0647a8165f826.jpg

Ideally I would like to get the temp down to about 20C with the humidity sitting at 65%. Before I got the cabinet, I had two fridges and that seemed to be the optimal setting for me.

• Like 1

The cabinet is amazing, work of art, controlling it is a different story !!

At the cost of these things, it should truly be set and forget, if you ask me.

At the cost of these things, it should truly be set and forget, if you ask me.

Thats what I thought but the cabinet is only the start, there's a bunch of rocket science that you need to know and you only find out you need know it after the cabinet arrives !!!

Dew point

Room temp

Ambient humidity

el Nino

etc etc

And then you open the doors to get a cigar and the temp/humidity alarms go off, and you can't open the doors for another week while things settle in the humidor.

I think you are better off getting a decent air conditioner in the room you want to store your cigars in, then you can just leave the boxes anywhere in the room !! A split system aircon in my study would cost $1500 installed ( a lot, LOT cheaper that the Aristocrat), constant temp all year round, may cost a few $$ to run but maybe thats the answer ??

Cheers

The cabinet is amazing, work of art, controlling it is a different story !!

Mate, I told you I would help you (given the time) to debug this thing (if I can). I had sent you some ideas, including talking to Bob about the problem. Can I assume that he did not help, or that you did not want my help? I assumed the latter when you never emailed me back.

I cannot guarantee that I can fix the system of another, but I am willing to try (within reason) and can say with certainty that know one knows controlled humidors and what makes them work better than I do.

I would like to know what Bob told you (if you contacted him) and if you want more help from me. LMK if you want me to pick up where we left off. Best of luck in any case...

Cheers! -Ray