Having to relight DC's frequently

What causes some cigars, especially double corona's, to have to be relit frequently?

I have a wide variety of CC's in my inventory. I keep the rh around 65%, give or take 2% either way. I find that some, especially the Hoyo and Partagas double coronas, have to be relit several times every few minutes. I would say I smoke cigars in about the same amount of time as others, based on what I read here. The draw of the ones that have to be relit frequently doesn't seem to be any different than the others. I smoke all inside, so wind is not an issue.

What am I doing wrong?

In my experience, this is unusual for any cigar, including a prominentes...except when it is too wet.

Case in point: Cohiba Maduro 5 Secretos. A very small cigar of the secretos vitola. Horrendously difficult to keep lit when young and damp. Properly aged and dried out, very well behaved...for a brute of a little cigar.

Wilkey

Had the same problem with all my cigars.

Store them at 65-68% and smoke at my balcony. Outside humidity 60-90% depending on weather condition during the day.

I dry box them for e few days, also tried Robs fridge trick.

Solved my problems here.

Hope it helps.

your outside humidity is too high

dry box for two days

Dry boxing will not change the ambient humidity of the State of Alabama…

Having to relight a DC 2 or 3 times is nothing exceptional! During cigar meetings most of the guys smoking big vitolas keep their torch in hand…

I find that some, especially the Hoyo and Partagas double coronas, have to be relit several times every few minutes.

Having to relight a DC 2 or 3 times is nothing exceptional! During cigar meetings most of the guys smoking big vitolas keep their torch in hand…

Unless the OP is only drawing every few minutes, then what he's experiencing is exceptional. At the least, it's not entirely typical. I have had to relight cigars because I've neglected them for talking or drinking during a herf and they've gone out. I'm sure we all have. But if he's attempting to smoke it "normally" by drawing a few times a minute to every minute or so and is still having great difficulty keeping it burning, then something else is at play.

I'm not sure what to make of the observation that this is worse with Hoyo and Partagas. This could be a red herring.

Wilkey

Temperature and humidity are linked to generate a equilibrium moisture content in tobacco. Saying I store my cigars at 65 then is meaningless!

Your cigar will have less water in it at 65rH and 75dF than it will at 65rH and 65dF. This is of course if your hygrometer is accurate at 65rH in the first place!

I am guessing that problem number one is that your cigars are too wet.

If I had to guess, assuming that your cigars are dry enough, I would guess that you may be a small person, or at least have a smaller mouth! No, I am not joking!

On larger cigars such as these you may try a 2 or 3 puff smoking technique. You may try a prime puff to heat up the cigar and get the flux in the right direction. A second, quick puff, heats the embers further and the last puff is the draw for taste. If you don't see that the binder and wrapper are hot and burning you are not drawing enough to make the cigar burn. Poor burning from puff to puff, will cause a cigar to flame out prematurely.

Some smokers have larger mouths than others. We are not all alike. If you are not inhaling with the displacement of your lungs, then you are limited by the displacement of your mouth in order to smoke your cigar. If this is only happening on larger ring cigars, it might be you and your smoking style. Try stoking the cigar with short rapid puffs to get it burning. Your last puff should be the best tasting and the most satifying as well as helping it stay lit longer.

Cheers! -the Pig

Dry boxing will not change the ambient humidity of the State of Alabama…

nice obvious assumption, the two statements weren't linked they were possible explanations of his problem