Who else is in School?

It's been a tough go these last couple of months, as I hit the books for the first time in 7 years, taking a Master's course in Fluid Mechanics here at the University of Victoria, in an effort to earn some high marks to help my cause for a full Post-Grad in the UK next fall. Basically, I had to relearn all the calculus, algebra AND fluids stuff I had flushed (pun intended, with the Fluids......never mind) out of my mind years ago, not to mention having to adjust to Post-Graduate teaching methods (no more holding your hand through the work!) and remembering how much time and effort homework and study entailed! Still working my full-time job too, but my bosses allow me to attend class during the day when I would otherwise be at work - the Navy tends to be good with supporting professional development.

Little wonder how I've found myself down on coin (oh yeah, tuition and books) and free time (oh yeah, homework and project work) since the summer ended. Why am I doing this again? LOL.

All this to say - I can't be the only one out there, who else out here is giving it the ol' College try, or avoiding the 'crusty ol' dean' at the University? I can't be the only cigar-smoking fool on FOH slogging away in study. How do you find the study/life balance?

Whoever else is hittin' the books with me - Solidarity, man. I just hope your campus has better places to enjoy a cigar than mine does LOL!

I just finished my first semester of masters in law. Studying full time on top of work. Brutal.

I've found it's been a much better learning experience than my bachelors degree. I guess because I can see the applications during the week at work.

Glad I have a few months off before next semester!

Good luck with you study

Signed up to do my post-grad last year, first time hitting the books in 16 years! Will be finishing up some time next year. No campus, no lessons, all study in your own time kinda thing with dozens of assignments to do for each unit.

There are days when I think I don't want to do this any more, but then I remember I blew $10k for the course.

I went back 2 and a half years ago and will be finished in May. It has been difficult balancing the schoolwork, working full time and life with the family, especially with a 16 month old at home. It hasn't been too much fun. You just have to force yourself to prioritize. For me I'm pretty lucky, my family comes first and my wife has been a traffic help. The occasional cigar and scotch helps too, nut mainly the wife.

I'm taking a university certificate in HR so i can go towards management potisitions at my work. Being a single father and working full time, its not an easy task. all about time management

I am 19 years old and currently in class right now as I am writing this response as I am in philosophy. I am currently in an accelerated pre-med program in which I get my bachelors in three years. I am half way done with my second year and can feel the end of under grad fast approaching. I usually smoke at my fraternity house where a number of the brothers join me as well. I also smoke quite a bit outside of my dorm building when the weather is nice. As for supplying my stash pretty much all my money I earn from my campus job goes to the prez!

Also in class(mechanics of materials) as I type this I'm in my third year of undergrad in civil engineering at Penn State.

I have fluid mechanics next semester

Lots of learning going on here! I work in IT and am currently being moved from an infrastructure (networking/hardware) role to a business applications one (coding, database management, etc) so I'm preparing for about 3 months of study as my company are putting me through crash courses in SQL 2012, Oracle, Sharepoint, SAP, etc. I'm looking forward to the challenge, I was beginning to stagnate a little in my current role.

Just finished my 4 years of Uni by night and weekends in May and I'm oddly missing it.

Luckily I have all these TV shows like Breaking Bad that appeared while I was in Uni and I can now finally catch up on, but I'd imagine that seeing the old alma mater at the graduation in 2 weeks might make me want to do something again! (Will probably go back for the masters in aviation next year before I lose the study habit!)

I was never big on study groups to start with but found it useful to bounce problems off other people and get their perspective/ideas.

Fair play Fuzz doing it online, I don't have the discipline or patience for that (probably why I've so few aged boxes in my fridgedor)!

The extent of my fluid dynamics knowledge would be the coriolis effect and I have confirmed this having used toilets in both hemispheres :P

Just finished a Master's degree in finance, was away from home and the family for a full year. I feel your pain, was not easy especially being away from my daughter, but well worth it IMO. Now that I am done I have sworn off a Phd, unless of course it would open up new opportunities down the road.

Working on my accounting designation at the moment (CMA). It can be tough balancing school/work/family/friends but as posted above the occasional scotch/cigar and wife do help!

A lot of campuses in Florida are smoke free so it really puts a hamper on studying and smoking haha but balancing school, life, cigars, family etc is something I have been working on. Sleep is hard to come by!

I returned to school part time Jan 2012 and in Sept 2014 I will return full time for about a year and half to finish my bachelor's degree. I will have to quit my full time job(because of seniority bs) to pick up a part time job (LCDH Montreal) so I am stocking up on cigars and bottles because the next few month will be low on spending funds.

It's a tough balancing act with two jobs and with family and friends but totally worth it. I think I am making the right choice and that gives me a lot of motivation. My girlfriend, family and friends are supportive so it makes it that much easier for me!