The Green Green Grass of Cohiba

After a year or so I finally took the plunge and tried a Cohiba (a robusto from a pack of 3) and have to say underwhelmed is not the word. I love JL/epicure range/BRC/D4/VR and was expecting the CoRo to be at least an interesting smoke whilst understanding that price is of course no great indicator of quality. All I got was grass grass and more grass. Admittedly I have read reviews of Cohibas that nearly always use the word Grass to describe the flavour but this was all I got ( and in grassy spades). Some other flavours tried to drift in but where swiftly muscled out by the overriding taste of a newly cut damp meadow. Is this normal ? Is it the particular cigar? I am intrigued as I find the grassy taste a little unpleasant and certainly not a flavour I enjoy. No coffee, cream, nuts etc? Is it my palette or are Cohibas generally something of an acquired taste ?

Sounds to me that the 3 pack you have is really young. Some say Cohiba doesn't come around until 4-5 years. You might want to try the

H Upmann connoisseur 1, if you haven't.

Not normal in my experiences, but the youngest CoRo's I am smoking right now are from '08.

My guess is that stick needs significantly more time to rest. That does not fit the overall profile of that cigar. I have experienced a similar unpleasant taste in an under fermented cigar.

I too have found the CoRo to be underwhelming, with the caveat that all of the specimens I have had have been under 5 years old. I find the CoRo is easily the most overrated cigar in the entire HSA catalog, to be honest. If it definitely, no questions asked, needs 5 years before it becomes something worthy of smoking... the premium paid for the CoRo is just not worth it, for me. Give me a good D4 or BRC any day of the week.

Like "Skyfall", this year I've had a number of Cohiba Robustos from 2008. Beautiful, creamy and complex. They were some of the best cigars I've run into. I can understand the frustration one gets from smoking something young and NOT getting the satisfaction you read about about a cigar. Hey, Cuban cigars are varied and ever evolving, patience IS required.