Life coaches and Business Coaches...who has one :-)

A good mate I will not mention (Dean Merlo) told us on an outback camping trip once that he had appointed a Lifestyle Coach.....apparently a person (who was "Hot" with a capital "H") who designs your life. We laughed so hard and so long on that trip that she didn't last the fortnight lol3.gif

I know a lot of guys who use Business Coaches however. I haven't used one but have never ruled it out. Just never found someone who I was completely comfortable to work with. My vision of a business coach is someone who challenges me with ideas.

Who here on FOH uses a business coach....even a lifestyle coach (we promise not to laugh ....ok not really rotfl.gif ).

OK....just a business coach. What has been your experience. What are the do's and don'ts of appointing them? Are they worth while? How many have you gone through lol3.gif

I've met a few people over the years who claimed to be business coaches and to be honest after 5 minutes of conversation I was fatigued from all the abbreviations, mnemonics etc that I needed to lay down! Then again I'm not a businessman by any stretch so that could be why but seems like a snake oil industry to me.

Well im about to start a small arrangement of five sessions with a coach. Its up to me wether we talk about work /life balance or try to clarify goals for my career - as well the subject could be how to deal with stress and such. Its payed for by the place I work - more as a general benefit, than as a cure for a specific problem. From what i've seen its seems beneficial. Will report back

UQ holds management courses for owner operators. Small classes, you do a few days every month and while you don't necessirely get business coaches i guarantee you will meet at least one of the people in the course who will give you what it takes to move your business in the next direction. Having never completed university i was always self taught in business but it comes to a stage when you need to get external help when your in a rut. Check it out, the course isn't cheap but you will make the money back in no time with what you learn.

No affiliation to uq, just my opinion

http://execed.business.uq.edu.au/programs/senior-leadership-programs/australian-owner-manager-program

Great question Rob. I also have never ruled it out and find that I can get "comfortable" in my business. I would like someone to help me grow ideas. I haven't explored it too much because, well, I'm comfortable :)

I am blessed to have a business partner who is, by most people's standards, very successful financially and business wise. He also happens to be an amazing guy on top of one of the smartest person I have met. He is basically my coach but has a lot of other businesses/ projects so I don't get a ton of attention. A bunch of my learning is through osmosis or screwing up lookaround.gif

Nice topic RA. I know people from the arse end of the world to the top end, all are friends and coaches. All of them look out for me but the hardest on me are from a solid school of knocks. They don't want me to make the same mistakes as the top end believe the lesson is only learnt when a mistake is made.As someone who is always in the poo only the depth varies, I think the low end teaches me more. In the famous words of Brian Brown. " A hustler never works and a worker never Hustles" . Choose a coach the does what you do.

I have a style coach which is my lady friend...I cant be bothered to shop so she picks out nice stuff and it works! I look good, shes happy, Win-Win

IMO a life coach is either someone who thinks to highly of themselves (my gf had a friend who claims to now be one but never acheived anything in life wich I found incredibly funny) or someone who actually realised something few people in a specific field ever did and decided to help people reach their goal in that specific area (these are usually ultra rare)

Now a buisness coach is someting more of a mentor who knows the ropes and will show you the way. Most of the time thay are a buisness man themselves and are at the end of their professionnal life. They love / loved it but are not ready to retire and want to share the pasison.

IMO what you are describing Rob is someone who can challenge your buisness model (because you seem more than able to run your buisness). In this case I would call that person a Buiness architect (mostly seen in the IT world and the goods one are rare)

Hopefully this is comprehensible.

Finding a business consultant / coach has proven to be very challenging. Mostly what they want to do is come and and tell ME what to do. Maybe that works for some, but not for my company. However, through the strangest of circumstances there was a fellow who became a trusted college and friend. He was strong and determined when needed (rarely), and amongst everything else he was a great listener and just helped keep the ship moving forward and pointed the correct direction... the direction of the company not his own. He was from another era. One where complete and utter thoroughness was appreciated and expected because distractions were easily ignored. After his recent passing I'm almost certain we will never find another one like him.

Miss you buddy.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-david-webster-obit-20131001,0,5541854.story

I have had a Business Coach for two years. I have yet to have an appointment with him where I didn't learn something important about myself or how I work. But the most benefit I have received was participating in a group workshop for a week. Part of the process is the coaching company sends out confidential questionnaires to your employees. The feedback about my strengths and weaknesses has been invaluable on a daily basis. No one is good at everything, but at least if you know where you have deficiencies you can work on them or hire others to fill the void. And more importantly you can learn how your shortcomings are effecting your business or culture. I absolutely recommend anyone in a leadership position in a business consider a professional coach.

IMO - They are like Doctors...

Some are not so good and others are experts within their field that can one day save your life.

However, they are all expensive.

Choose wisely.

Good timing - just evaluating a coach as we speak. I've done a variety of things in business - in transition (read looking for what's next!). Wasn't big on the idea until spending time with a couple coaches and understanding I wanted something different than I was achieving on my own. Spoke to several people who gave the concept a thumbs up as well referrals to a few with different approaches.

I am contacting a few references - overall at this point I am favorable and looking to move forward.