Sick, young, or poor care?

I lit up a bolivar robusto today, not sure on the year by it couldn't have been very old. About a month ago I changed my RH from 65-68 down to 61-63. Temp is under 70. The reason I did this is that my CC tasted wet like grass and burned poorly, and that's about all I got out of them, they really sucked. I lit up that bolivar today that I've had resting,for a few months, and It tasted like grass. A lot of CC Ive had taste like this and really suck. I know this is not the norm because I've had some really good ones. What's te deal here? Sick? Young? Storage issue? Obviously my experience in CCs I not very much. It's frustrating because I've got some good stuff I wanna smoke, but what's the point if there going to taste like crap? Frustrating to say the least. So please I somebody can explain this wet grass taste to me, and the difference between sick and young taste. That'd be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'm not sure about Bolivar having a robusto sized cigar currently. Do you trust your supplier?

There are so many factors that can affect what you taste, from the cigar itself to even you at that particular time. I don't think lowering the RH would significantly change the flavors so I wouldn't be looking there for an answer. Have you smoked several different brands and still come up with the same wet grass flavor?

I'm not sure about Bolivar having a robusto sized cigar currently. Do you trust your supplier?

There are so many factors that can affect what you taste, from the cigar itself to even you at that particular time. I don't think lowering the RH would significantly change the flavors so I wouldn't be looking there for an answer. Have you smoked several different brands and still come up with the same wet grass flavor?

It's pretty much the same size as a RASS. I got them here and there from people. Looks, and smells genuine. I've experienced these flavors with different brands as well.

A lot of CC Ive had taste like this and really suck. I know this is not the norm because I've had some really good ones. What's te deal here? Sick?

This part of the post makes me think something is wrong with your source. If different marcas taste the same then I would start there IMO...

I have got grassiness out of Bolivar before, but they are 1998 Inmensos. All of the BRC that I have smoked have been earthy (barnyardish - or wet clay) combined with espresso, cream and white pepper spice. I have smoked quite a few and they have a very distinct blend. It may be that yours are in a sick period or they were very poorly maintained before you bought them. Did they come with cracked feet or heads? Have the feet split since going into your humidor at an unreasonable rate? I got a box of Party EL 2010 that were similar to what you describe. They were obviously very poorly maintained for a stretch before I bought them. And yes, they were purchased from a very popular source who many people use. However, the more and more I learn about how cigars get to the places they are sold the more and more I come back here to insure I get the best stock possible. Rob's cigars have never let me down.

It's good to know its not me. No cracked heads or feet, I'm anal about storage and consistency for the best possible smoking experience. Can poor storage before they get to me ruin the cigar forever? I'd imagine so......it was flat, burn was okay but seemed like it was hard to keep going, not a lot of smoke output, became a bit bitter and hot after first 3rd so I pitched it. Guess you could say it was "sour"

Dropping your humidity down can have a huge amount of difference on flavour, your cigars may just need more to recover from their change of humidity, Id say they would need between 1 and 3 months for the size of change you've done.

For the grassy flavour, taste is subjective and that might just be how you taste bolivar or it was a funny stick or the humidity drop caused a sick period for a while

Maybe give them a rest and try later or try a different brand cigar as bolivar might just be not your cup of tea

No Bolivar has a grass profile. I would first verify your source and make sure they are genuine. Royal coronas are very earthy with coffee and chocolate notes and a bit of leather . They usually start off very spicy then get mellower after the first couple of puffs. Something just doesnt sound right here.

Dropping your humidity down can have a huge amount of difference on flavour, your cigars may just need more to recover from their change of humidity, Id say they would need between 1 and 3 months for the size of change you've done.

With all due respect, I can't see how a 5 degree drop in humidity alone could make a "huge" diff in flavor. Perhaps it might affect it slightly, but I don't see it going from the typical boli flavor to one that's grassy.

With all due respect, I can't see how a 5 degree drop in humidity alone could make a "huge" diff in flavor. Perhaps it might affect it slightly, but I don't see it going from the typical boli flavor to one that's grassy.

I kinda had the same feeling my friend. I was having some burn issues with my CCs and some with my NCs. I dunno man. Just frustrating.

Just personal tastes of course, I've not smoked many brc but for me changes in humidity, eg 70% to 65% or 65% to 60% can make massive differences in concentration and emergence of flavour

I've found in the past that certain sticks with too much moisture can be bitter and grassy. Do you use a digital hygrometer? When was the last time it was calibrated? Are you confident that the RH is consistent throughout your storage container?

Do me a favour.

Clip the end of one of your Boli Royal Corona and put it in the fridge for an 90 minutes before you smoke it. if there is a marked improvement ....do it again with another next time. if you find there is a marked improvement again then it is very likely to be the storage conditions.

Do me a favour.

Clip the end of one of your Boli Royal Corona and put it in the fridge for an 90 minutes before you smoke it. if there is a marked improvement ....do it again with another next time. if you find there is a marked improvement again then it is very likely to be the storage conditions.

I will give it a shot tomorrow. Thank you

Do me a favour.

I could really use this, but what's the logic behind this?