VI Edition of the Symposium Habana-Habano .... by Punch Joe

El Presidente

VI Edition of the Symposium Habana-Habano by Punch Joe

Last August 14th, the International Symposium HABANA -HABANOS 2013 came to an end. Under the topic ¨José Martí and the tobacco sector¨, the 6th edition of the Symposium helped to gather over 60 aficionados at the Museum of Natural Sciences which served as the official venue during the three days that it lasted.

The event kicked off with the words of Fernando González García, President of the Vitolphilia Club before presenting an amazing exhibition of very old Cuban cigar bands which pleased the eyes of everyone because of its proper conservation and historic value.

post-4-0-21519400-1382048228_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-98138100-1382048230_thumb.jpg

A master lecture offered by PhD. Pedro Pablo Rodriguez about the Taino culture and its reminiscence today, marked the opening of the Symposium and was followed by a large program of activities. During the week, all guests had the chance to attend to great lectures and panels related to the Habano, conducted by renowned researchers and Habanos lovers of worldwide prestige.

Luis Sorinas talked about the sustainability in agriculture and MsC. Eumelio Espino, researcher of the Tobacco Research Institute spoke about the steps needed to complete a cigar at different stages from the soil to the finished product totalizing 539 steps in the chain, and defining step as a series of operations contained in one activity.

post-4-0-30865400-1382048238_thumb.jpg

The visit to the tobacco plantations in San Juan y Martinez, Pinar del Río province, one of the best tobacco region in Cuba, was one of the highlights of the program. Hector’s plantation, Quemado de Rubi, was chosen to have a lunch break after visiting the experimental tobacco station in the same municipality.

The lecture about the upcoming presentation of the book “Germans in Cuba” by Raul Martell was very interesting, especially when talking about the Upmann lineage and its long line of descendants including one pianist, a tennis player who won The Davis Cup and different musicians. The book is intended to be launched at the XVI edition of the Habanos Festival next year.

Although the event is organized annually by the Tobacco Museum of Havana and the Office of the Historian of the City, it will be held every two years from now on.

A post-event meeting under the patronage of Havana Club and Habanos s.a., the International Pairing Workshop, worked as the perfect closing for the 6th Symposium where not only sommeliers and bartenders were attending but also cigar aficionados and reporters.

It that was all about the fun that started in El Floridita combining Habanos with liqueurs from different regions of the world. An enjoyable afternoon in finding a perfect match for a Montecristo Petit Edmundo. A remarkable and very interesting experience for the guests was the chance to pair up a Chivas Regal 18 YO along with a Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios.

If I’m asked which combination I enjoyed the most, I’d say it was that of The Glenfiddich 12 YO with an aged Bolivar Belicoso (52 girth and 140 mm long) I brought out myself. Cheers!

post-4-0-73911500-1382048240_thumb.jpg

Great stuff again Punch Joe but just one thing, Chivas Regal, ah here Jaysus!

I rarely got anything from it other than petrol.

The one time I did, in a fit of 'I'll have what she's having", in a certain nightclub in Vedado, it was a mixture of Chivas Regal 18, Havana club 7 and lime.

Then I got diesel. With lime. It sobered me up.