Sitting on a Brand

Well if one must wait 3 - 5 yrs for a Cohiba to come into full bloom then pray tell what smoke

is consistant enough in terms of flavor and taste that allows one to smoke a stick right out of the

box. I see on some sites they have aged smokes for sale but how does one really know

the smokes in the box are really as old as the seller says. I know the bottom of the box has a date stamp

but how do you know if the sticks in the box were not changed out with newer smokes.

I know the bottom of the box has a date stamp

but how do you know if the sticks in the box were not changed out with newer smokes.

Because good vendors have plenty of orders, are busy people, and simply don't have the time (let alone the desire) to play that kind of game…

Is the value there to spend $30-50 a cigar in boxes of these? Would a consensus say def go with aged siglo vi's etc?

I find it odd that it is excepted practice to buy a product that almost seems not ready for sale. I would think the grower would handle this and not the retailer or buyer. I guess Cuba needs the cash sooner than later and it is not like the demand is not there given the current product. I wish I had become serious sooner .

I find it odd that it is excepted practice to buy a product that almost seems not ready for sale.

For me, yes and no. As an example, some wines are sold with the knowledge that they really should be aged to reach their intended peak (which is not to say that they cannot be enjoyed earlier). Many producers and merchants have a good understanding and can relay this information to the end consumer.

Though some Havanas have been more consistent than others when it comes to knowing, it just seems that overall, it tends to be much less definitive.

I find it odd that it is excepted practice to buy a product that almost seems not ready for sale. I would think the grower would handle this and not the retailer or buyer. I guess Cuba needs the cash sooner than later and it is not like the demand is not there given the current product. I wish I had become serious sooner .

Bordeaux wine is like this. The earlier you buy (em primeur), the lower the cost. Prices go up due to demand and diminishing annual supply.

I do enjoy 'checking in' on a box to see how it's doing and seeing if they evolve. It's also having the comfort that you aged them yourself since the beginning that buying from others where, at times, you are unsure of provenance.

I do enjoy 'checking in' on a box to see how it's doing and seeing if they evolve.

You also get to know your tobacco this way. How it evolves, where certain cigars are in terms of aging, are they at their best, have they gone too far, do they need more time.

If you are new to Cuban cigars you might want to get samplers of different shapes and sizes. That way you can get a rough idea of what's out there and what you like. Then you can get a box or two. This hobby used to be referred to as the dark side on boards often. You will find if you get the taste for Havanas you will soon want to get boxes and once you have a stash you will begin to see what all the fuss is about with storage conditions and age.

Beware, a well kept and aged Cuban cigar is a thing of beauty. If you are worried about your wallet, get out now.