AFL GRAND FINAL

For me one of the worst grand finals ever to watch, horrible first half. For all the Dockers supporters out there you really gave it a fair shake guys, be proud of your team, hopefully next year you can go one better. Brain Lake best on ground all day long.

You wouldn't have a clue, what a stupid thing to say.

you're welcome to elaborate instead of insult.

the first behalf was of a very poor standard and rather boring by the standards the game can reach. 3rd quarter, things improved and then fizzled out.

if one was a hawks fan, i'm sure it was enjoyable. otherwise it was a bog average game - i've heard nothing to contradict that from anyone - and if you try and tell me otherwise, i'd seriously question what clue you might have.

I just love your deadskin posts, or is it redskins , seriously would never drop anything negative on your posts.

This started off good but I knew what you would do it, pity...........

I think you mistaken one particular game over an entire code ok.gif

I was pretty thrilled watching the scores update on afl.com. The dockers have a tendancy to come out of the blocks fast and slow down. When they didn't even turn up to the start line in the first 10 minutes of the game, you know it's not going to be their day. Grand finals i find rarely are good games though (its more the atmosphere of the day that is important). The only real thriller that comes to mind were the 05 06 sydney eagles games. Or 06 07 were they?

i've played afl and watched it for close to 50 years. first type of footy i played as a kid as that was what our school did. played and/or watched other codes and many other sports.

i think i could not have been more clear that the comments were re this game. that said, i don't believe for a second it is the greatest game on earth. for 100 years or more, it has dominated a few states of australia and it has never been able to improve on that. makes it hard to support your claim.

you started with a claim that afl was "greatest game on earth". are you so arrogant that if someone disagrees the response is abuse?

gents...it is a game of FOOTBALL!!!!

For the love of God this is a great pub conversation and you could argue as much as you like.

I watched the game and admit going for the Dockers....let's face it...if you follow the Bucs...you go for the underdog lol3.gif

first quarter crap. I can't remember seeing a team kick so many times and miss a whole set of goals as consistently.

Third quarter gave hope. However overall it was a "meh" game (to me).

it could have been worse.....you could have got up at 1am and watched the Wallabies rotfl.gif

gents...it is a game of FOOTBALL!!!!

For the love of God this is a great pub conversation and you could argue as much as you like.

I watched the game and admit going for the Dockers....let's face it...if you follow the Bucs...you go for the underdog lol3.gif

first quarter crap. I can't remember seeing a team kick so many times and miss a whole set of goals as consistently.

Third quarter gave hope. However overall it was a "meh" game (to me).

it could have been worse.....you could have got up at 1am and watched the Wallabies rotfl.gif

at least i had the sense to tape the wallabies. but not enough sense to avoid watching it.

but didn't you just say pretty much exactly what i said?

i'm curious to know if it is still stupid? i do know you haven't a clue - hey, you got up to watch the wallabies.

for the record, i thought the roosters v newcastle game was just as crap, for a final, whereas the manly souths game was sensational. and as i pointed out in an earlier post, i am no manly fan.

at least i had the sense to tape the wallabies. but not enough sense to avoid watching it.

but didn't you just say pretty much exactly what i said?

i'm curious to know if it is still stupid? i do know you haven't a clue - hey, you got up to watch the wallabies.

for the record, i thought the roosters v newcastle game was just as crap, for a final, whereas the manly souths game was sensational. and as i pointed out in an earlier post, i am no manly fan.

Opinion is opinion. I thought the AFL final was of poor quality. I thought the Roosters/Newcastle game was poor as well but in terms of a contest. The Roosters were brutal.

The Wallabies was poor because we were never in it....soft as a marshamallow....again!

I have seen brilliant AFL..brilliant league...brilliant Union...just not this weekend. The Souths/Manly game showed Manly at their best. hard not to like a team 14 down after 14 minutes do what they did. The union you had to respect the brutality of the Springboks that first half. The AFL.....well it didn't reach many heights bar say 15 minutes of that third term.

So be it. In my opinion no game is better than another. Something to celebrate in each. The beauty is that we can do so.

The Grand Final failed to live up to the heights reached by the last few that's for sure. Any game involving Ross Lyon is always going to be a dour affair. This Grand Final is not a reflection on the game as a whole. In fact there was barely a highlight. Had Geelong been playing the Hawks I have little doubt we would all be saying what a spectacle is was.

AFL at it's best is a non stop highlight reel. It's athleticism, courage, skill, manic pressure and atmosphere are truly unique. No point trying to convince anyone it's the greatest game in the world. Just Youtube any clip of marks and goals and it speaks for itself. It's just a shame Ken is right as it was a very poor spectacle on Saturday.

I agree with pretty much everyone regards it not being a great game to watch, and definitely not a game you'd include in a highlights reel.

I thought the Dockers made a reasonable game of it, but you've got to get scoreboard pressure on the other team and they never did that. The forward pressure that they showed against Sydney wasn't there this week, and the hawks got the ball out to easily. The 3rd quarter showed signs of a revival, but i think they just ran out of legs.

There were some positives to come out of the game for me however:

1. The Dockers supporters showed very good support for their team, and from what i can see, were gracious in defeat (ie. no hawks fans knocked into next week outside the G after the game), and they showed up in numbers.

2. The Dockers supporters kept my airline in business for a few more weeks by forking out obscene amounts of money for tickets to melb. If they couldn't fly direct, some even went via Singapore. Now that's commitment!

And finally,

3. I was at work, but could watch on one of our screens in our Operations room. No sound = no inane Bruce McAvaney commentary every time Buddy or Cyril touched the ball. This made my 12 hr shift slightly more enjoyable!

Ps. In the home and away season i hate both of these teams with a passion. I was hoping the Dockers would win mainly because i work with a couple of noisy arrogant Hawks fans. I was just a bored Collingwood feral for most of September!