recommendations on cuban lonsdale or corona size

It appears that these sizes are becomming less and less popular and have fallen victim to being axed by Habanos. Too bad, I have really enjoyed this size in non-cubans and wanted to venture into cuban versions.

Based upon my research,the following are left based upon groupings:

Poor quality group 1:

Partagas 898 - poor quality lately according to FOH so I will wait on these

Montecristo 1 - consistently poor quality according to FOH, unless recently changed?

Romeo y Julieta Cazadores

Group 2: Requiring extensive aging but seems a good choice if I wait 5-7 years????:

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux - probably will buy one and hold 5 years

Quai d'Orsay - bought 1 box hoping to enjoy them in 5 years

Group 3: Impossible to find:

La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.2 - I'd be more likely to run into Sasquach than find a box?

And all discontinued brands

Group 4: Highly priced but only real choice for near term enjoyment?

Cohiba III, V - seems like the only game in town on these sizes that has quality and can be smoked without extensive aging requirements?

Your guidance is recommended!

QDO coronas are great fresh, they just get better with age

Monte #3 are great, always ugly but never an issue with flavours for me, fine fresh too, I like them with 7 or 8 years on them but it's person choice

Upmann corona major in tubes, always great fresh and age well too

Personally I think Cohiba need at least 4 years age to start to become smokable

Remember than petit coronas are essentially the same size too just slightly shorter :

Por larranaga pc

Bolivar pc

RyJ PC

RyJ Mille fleur

Juan Lopez PC

Partagas Mille fleur

Sancho Penza molinos (still around) or non plus

Rafael Gonzalez pc

Don't forget your corona gorda either:

SLR serie a

Upmann mag 46

Hoyo epicure #1

898 and Gold Medals may be the most overrated cigars. Not representative of the marca, in my opinion. 898s are too quick to mellow out, and GMs have been gradually losing strength since '07s.

If I had to choose 3 easy-to-finds, I'd tell you to go smoke:

VR Clasicos - many '01s around, and they are excellent;

Recent Hoyo DDs, not the '03s which have pretty much expired (or very close to it); and

Monte #1s - who doesn't like Monte #1s or #3s?

For some that are a wee-bit-harder-to-find:

'02 Partagas Lonsdales - better than all other vintages, I think;

pre '98 ERDM Lonsdale - yes they taste totally different, just like all those HDM Short Coronas floating around;

'99 Bolivar Lonsdales - I bet older ones are better, but these are all that I've tried; and

Upmann Lonsdales - if you ever find them, sell your child and buy the lot.

I tried a couple of Upmann #1 singles when I was last in Andorra - the first was pretty pedestrian, the second tasted like an aged Sir Winston, great depth of flavour and charactor. I heartily agree with the QC issues, so you've gotta be careful to inspect before purchasing, but based on my taste experience - it's worth a gamble.

Upmann Lonsdales I've only had a couple - one was blecch, one was alright. The're not high on my search list.

SLR Serie A had complex flavors

Parti Cor Sen subtle and then lots of character

I had an RA three years back that was amazing but I am told they aren't so good lately

I'm also a fan of this size, Just picked up a box of the LGC MDO no.2's. I'm holding out for a good box of Party 898's too. There's also the PL Encantos which a lot of people seem to like.

Picked up a few Dip No.1 singles a few months back they were great, aswell as some Boli Inmensas which were also good.

Very interested in the German RA 898, would love to hear more on those... From what I've heard and read the Discontinued RA 898 was an absolute cracker!

All you must know for Lonsdale is Bolivar Gold Medals.

That is a great lonsdale, but where are you going to find those available? They have been out of production since 2009.

Very interested in the German RA 898, would love to here more on those... From what I've heard and read the Discontinued RA 898 was an absolute cracker!

I'm a little dubious, hope that I'm proved wrong though!

The RA 898v apparently wasn't particularly well received when in regular production, if you can find them now they are excellent, but I'm thinking it's mostly down to the fact that you're smoking a cigar with over a decade of age, heck even the RA belvederes taste excellent after 10+ years to smooth them out and sweeten up! lmao.gif

The RA 898v apparently wasn't particularly well received when in regular production, if you can find them now they are excellent, but I'm thinking it's mostly down to the fact that you're smoking a cigar with over a decade of age, heck even the RA belvederes taste excellent after 10+ years to smooth them out and sweeten up! lmao.gif

Agreed. The RA 898 from 2001 and 2002 were unsmokable in their young age. Incredibly strong and earthy, no fruit, no sweetness…

I'm a little dubious, hope that I'm proved wrong though!

Agreed. The RA 898 from 2001 and 2002 were unsmokable in their young age. Incredibly strong and earthy, no fruit, no sweetness…

That's very interesting. I've only ever read about how good they were/are.. obviously this seems not to be the case at all without any age, I wonder then if it will be a completely different blend on the German RE.

That's very interesting. I've only ever read about how good they were/are.. obviously this seems not to be the case at all without any age, I wonder then if it will be a completely different blend on the German RE.

Good question! I'd guess that due to the quality of tobacco available now, whatever blend they choose it should be good to go young. Based on nearly all other RA regionals it should be at least rich and medium-full bodied, heck it's going to sell fast regardless because of the myth of the RA898 currently in the hobby.

German regionals have been mostly very well fine so all signs point to it being good regardless if how they blend it. Even an original blend using tobacco available now should be a lot more approachable too I guess