FOH Blind Cigar Tasting Competition Cigar No 3 Reviews

So we are onto Cigar Number 3 in our FOH Intertnational 2013 Cigar Competition spotlight.gif

Please post your reviews here without announcing your pick. Please e-mail me your pick with your handle and full name. Thank you for those that have already responded.

Your selections need to be in with me by Monday the 2nd of September.

Enjoy! ok.gif

BlindCigar3_zps46fb2c94.jpg

Didn't get to write down my thoughts as I smoked this one so I'll have to write from memory.

The stick came with some damage during shipping and the wrapper was cracked at different parts of the body. Luckily, by using the band it was smokable and it actually had a good draw and burn.

The cigar started off with hints of chocolate and sweetness which then later turned into citrusy tanginess during the middle of the cigar. That faded towards the last third but it wasn't very tannic and I was able to smoke it to the nub. I haven't had many piramides so this one was very hard to guess. I can narrow it down to 2 cigars so we'll see if I get lucky or not.

I have a serious feeling this cigar will end my hot streak.... It burned well, smelled quite fragrant, plenty of sweet smoke but no real changes to give me hints as to what it was exactly.... Hence my lack of a true review.... I am stumped...,

Blind cigar number three

Wrapper a nice shade of Colorado. Bit on the veiny side, slight box press apparent. The only piramides I have are Monte #2's. let me compare this cigar to my stock... hmmm, interesting!

Aroma at cold is a straight, sweet tobacco and preflight taste confirms the same. At cut the draw is perfect. On to first third...

1/3 initial thoughts are that the body is immediately at a strong medium. Aged leather notes, good volume of smoke and very rich in flavor.

2/3 solid medium strength throughout, enjoyable Flavors of cedar, a touch of sweetness.

3/3 flavor and strength have not changed much. Burn is turning a little off center. Still primarily sweet cedar notes.

Overall I didn't pick up much evolution in flavors or strength. It was an enjoyable smoke however that I'd rate a solid 90.

OK lit this baby up a coupl eof days ago. I do no tsmoke alot of torpedos so not real confident in my chances. HTe cigar had a light colored wrapper with a couple o f viens and slight box press. THe first third was pretty bland. the burn and draw were good I just wasn't getting alot of flavor form it. Noticed some cocoa and carmel notes and a little sweetness but had to really stretch to get these form the cigar. draw remained good throughout unfortuntely the cigar never really opened up and delivered like the first two. Oh well sometimes with young cigars you get this so I sent my guess and will wait for the results!

post-8384-0-04182700-1377534727_thumb.jp

Ok on to number 3!

Lately, I have been smoking some piramides and enjoying them. This example has great construction and a pungent aroma on the wrapper. Bread and tobacco! The draw is a bit on the loose side but I will keep my foot off the pedal for this one.

1st:

Right off the bat I get a sour feeling on my lilps and tongue from the wrapper. I get cream, bread and a bit of chalky flavors. The ash on this one is white just like an older cigar's ash.

2nd

I get again the cream, bread and also some nutty flavors. Hazelnuts I would pin point.

3rd:

Very similar flavors to the first 2 thirds. Not much change beside the body streanght moving from medium to medium/full.

This was a pretty good cigar but it needs some time to define its flavors.

My pick is sent.

Good luck to all!

post-8384-0-46591000-1377534739_thumb.jp

Colarado wrapper.

Cedar and slightly dusty aroma at cold.

Construction is good and it is a reasonable attractive Colorado wrapper with some thick veins.

1st Third is balsa wood (maybe cedar I I am being generous) and some milk.

Bang on medium bodied

2nd- more of the same, a hint of roasted almond

3rd- bitterness creeps in

Overall - this was pretty disappointing after the first third, I've been enjoying my beli shaped cigars lately. I've got a vague idea as I what it is. 84/85 point cigar

My example had a light coloured, but thin wrapper with prominent veins. Had what I would consider a perfect draw which provided the right level of resistance and produced lots of smoke. I found the flavours to be consistent the whole way through. Light body, mild strength, and delicate flavours of toasted tobacco, coffee and spice.

I don't smoke pyramids that often and each time I have one I'm reminded that I should have them more often. I seem to quite enjoy them. Thanks again to Rob for the opportunity. Now for the guessing part...

Well, mystery cigar no.3 was a bit of a let down. Very loose draw, plenty of smoke but not much flavour in the first half, light to medium bodied, and the wrapper split slightly coming into the 2nd third.

Coming into the 2nd half, started to get a little sweetness, some nuttiness (reminiscent of Nobby's Nuts) and cedar. A bit closer to medium bodied at the end. Draw did firm up a bit, but still too loose for my liking.

Overall, an okay smoke, but not something I'd reach for again.

Man I'm really lacking here. I too have only had very very limited experience with piramides.. Chocolate, very light.. I certainly got the citrus.. Smooth.. pretty fragrant cold, good construction, really nice draw.. I'd trade my box of Monte. 2's for a box of these ironically because.. It didn't develop at all.. But I enjoyed what it had and it kept giving it.. Although very mild.. As to what it was.. Euuh.. Guess number 3 sending now!

This was a nice cigar. Light wrapper. 87

Good construction, good bun, only got bitter in the final nub. Dusty leather mixed with sweet baking spices and some hints of cream. Guess sent...

Well here we go! Cigar no.3 from easily an HQ or better group of 5 that I was lucky to receive. post-13208-13780555064983.jpg

(I know, no Diplo2 on hand...)

Gorgeous construction, rich color and aroma at cold, no box press.

post-13208-13780556038986.jpg

Great smoke volume after an easy light. Tastes of bread, cedar and a medium strength open this one. Very nice!

post-13208-13780556941814.jpg

Strength remains constant, flavors are brilliant pairing with my morning roast.

post-13208-13780557575557.jpg

Tastes of leather and baking spice develop from the final 3rd and take me to the nub.

Only 1 bitter draw through the whole ride, and just at the beginning of the final.

1 3/4hr smoke time.

post-13208-13780558747419.jpg

I want more! I have been SO lucky with what was sent to me, and I hope it continues with the next 2!

I am really guessing on this one.

Lets see if I can go 0 for 3!!!

Blind Cigar Tasting Competition, Cigar No. 3, "Piramide" format - final score, 87

So, here’s my review of the third cigar in this year’s blind cigar tasting competition....

Reviewed Cigar: Blind Cigar No. 3

Box Date: Unknown (current production)

Factory/Manufacture Code: Unknown

Packaging: Unknown

Price: Never talk money...

Length: 6 1/8", or 156 mm (my sample was actually slightly shorter, at 154 mm long)

Ring Gauge: 52

Format: Piramide

Weight: Don't you know it isn't polite to ask a fella this??

Construction/Appearance & Pre-Light: This cigar was actually only 154 mm long (2 mm short of the 156 mm for a "Piramide" vitola), but this could only be a piramide (duh!). The cigar's diameter at the foot was actually a bit squared off (potentially from being in a dress-box?). Well-packed, while not yet too firm – the density and squeeze-test on the touch with this cigar was perfect. The foot appeared nice, but without a real symmetry to the bunching.

The wrapper was a fairly nice golden Colorado here, just a nice mid-level shade. Only slight imperfections if you looked hard enough were two noticeable water-spots. The head and overall wrapper construction was great – no flaws, mild oily sheen.

Nothing wrong – but at the same time, nothing overly POW!!!, in-your-face about it either. Nothing to get overly excited about. Just a nice, middle-of-the-road looking piramide.

post-6965-0-58066800-1378085147_thumb.jp

Draw at cold was fairly open, but I’ve found this to firm up with piramides for me. At cold, there were aromas of gingerbread and light leather hints, and then cold flavours of lightly toasted tobacco, leather, and shortbread cookies.

Opening Impressions: After a lighting up and initial draws, this could be a tough one (even though there’s only five cigars to pick from in this vitola, and me already pre-determining that I think it could really only be between two particular ones). I’m getting good mouthfuls of smoke, but not much for outright flavours aside from toasted tobacco and light leather. After a few days of moderate drinking (moderate – HA!), and coming off having all four wisdom teeth pulled only 9 days ago now, my palate is likely not up to snuff for this.

First Third: During the first third, it almost seemed to leave me with a waxy mouthfeel. I was only pairing this with some bottled spring water, but the draws of smoke, while not dense or velvety or “thick” in the mouth, seemed to leave my tongue with a feeling of waxiness. Strange.

Flavours of toasted tobacco and light leather continuing. Lots of smoke from the lit foot, but not as voluminous of smoke on the draw. One touch-up needed.

Second Third: More of the same. Same flavours, same intensity – medium light, nothing awe inspiring. Two small touch-ups to the burn needed.

Final Third: Ended up not even smoking past the start of the final third, as everything continued the status quo.

post-6965-0-41952600-1378085180_thumb.jp

Finishing Comments / Overall Impression: Meh. An okay cigar, but nothing to write home to Mom about. Simple flavours, simple presentation, aside from that waxy mouthfeel in the start (which went away by the time I was into the second third. A consistent and nice cigar, but not one that I’d want to smoke when I’d be concentrating on the cigar’s flavours itself. This is one of those golf course cigars – something to smoke to simply add into the enjoyment of something else I’d be doing. The cigar itself was good and all, but it was just kind of plain and boring.

I have a pretty good idea of which piramide this is. There’s only a few to pick from, and there’s only one particular piramide that I’ve not had at all yet. Everything else, I’ve gone through some decent boxes of each over the years, and while they all have their high points and low points, I find that these piramides do definitely seem to have a fairly consistent flavour profile that shouts out from the treetops. This one seems to mesh right in with one in particular – including that it’s not really a favourite of mine in the regular rotation.

Pick sent to Rob. Again, fingers crossed, and good luck to all.

Final Score: 87

Total Smoking Time: 1 hour

Paired Beverage: Bottled spring water

Date & Time Smoked: Sunday, September 1st, 2013, 6:25 pm to 7:25 pm

Thanks for reading my review. Hope you enjoyed it.

Cheers.

Well here we go! Cigar no.3 from easily an HQ or better group of 5 that I was lucky to receive. post-13208-13780555064983.jpg

(I know, no Diplo2 on hand...)

Gorgeous construction, rich color and aroma at cold, no box press.

post-13208-13780556038986.jpg

Great smoke volume after an easy light. Tastes of bread, cedar and a medium strength open this one. Very nice!

post-13208-13780556941814.jpg

Strength remains constant, flavors are brilliant pairing with my morning roast.

post-13208-13780557575557.jpg

Tastes of leather and baking spice develop from the final 3rd and take me to the nub.

Only 1 bitter draw through the whole ride, and just at the beginning of the final.

1 3/4hr smoke time.

post-13208-13780558747419.jpg

I want more! I have been SO lucky with what was sent to me, and I hope it continues with the next 2!

I am really guessing on this one.

Lets see if I can go 0 for 3!!!

Amazing pics nice review too I saved the last pic for a screensaver. What detail.

o.O I think there's a possibility here I've reviewed the wrong cigar.. It's official. I've gone batshit crazy this week.

Great cigar, opens with great flavor .Lots I beautiful smoke. Very smooth and creamy. Very generic review I know. The cigar smoked well until the last 3rd. Got real bitter on me. I will have a better review next time.

Just got off the combine and cleaning up for bed. I know poor excuse for such a rubbish review.

I have a serious feeling this cigar will end my hot streak.... It burned well, smelled quite fragrant, plenty of sweet smoke but no real changes to give me hints as to what it was exactly.... Hence my lack of a true review.... I am stumped...,

This is exactly where I was at when I smoked this cigar ...... stumped!