Discontinuations confirmed?

Looking at the cigars and the vintage of the stock available on most of those I don't blame them. I don't really understand the 898 in 10's going since those sell, but most everything else is pretty much vintage most places they can be purchased. . .

Looking at the cigars and the vintage of the stock available on most of those I don't blame them. I don't really understand the 898 in 10's going since those sell, but most everything else is pretty much vintage most places they can be purchased. . .

I think it's as Rob stated...the Partagas 8-9-8s in the 10ct clasped cabinets (don't know why these aren't called 3-4-3s) are not as profitable for HSA. The cost of the packaging I'm sure seriously eats into any profits they may garner from the 10ct format for this cigar.

It's weird. Cutting all these interesting niche cigars but keeping over 20 R&Js (with over 60 different packaging options), almost all of dubious quality and construction??

I know, but if you cut the cigars with the poor construction issues, what are the guys who can't roll cigars properly going to roll? It's all so depressing. I'm smoking one of my last few Bolivar CE's as I write this; It's almost like they have it in for all the cigars I like. Maybe we'll be down to one cigar in each marca in a few years, and all of them Robustos, except for a few 60 ring gauge EL cigars. Jesus.

Its bad that they stop rolling the SLR's and des dieux - but to be fair to habanos, they have also been introducing new cigars lately of high quality and widely appriciated: rg perlas, cohiba pe, ra superiores, hu hc, hu rr and boli gm - on top of a great le program - I find some comfort in that

I know, but if you cut the cigars with the poor construction issues, what are the guys who can't roll cigars properly going to roll? It's all so depressing. I'm smoking one of my last few Bolivar CE's as I write this; It's almost like they have it in for all the cigars I like. Maybe we'll be down to one cigar in each marca in a few years, and all of them Robustos, except for a few 60 ring gauge EL cigars. Jesus.

You have to plan ahead. I bought 3 cabs of BCEs when the cabs were cut. I STILL have 2&1/2 cabs of Partagas Lonsdales & they were cut in 2002. peace.gif

the loss of affordable regular production cigars that are as good or better than many two-banders with hyped releases that cost the same to make, yet cost the consumer double or triple the equivalent of what they replaced.

Shlomo I think this argument is exactly the same argument that i and many others share but on the flip side is also a particularly good reason for hsa to cut them. If all I cared about was money, I wouldn't want people noticing that my flashy expensive product was at best equal with one of my cheaper products.

Cut the cheap option and force people to take the expensive one.

Taxes on tobacco are going through the roof. 10 ct boxes are pretty much all we can afford, and you cut them? Well there's a market you've just dried up.

If I was a shareholder with an invested interest in HSA/Altadis, I would absolutely agree. Since I have no business or economic interest in the company, I am speaking from the heart (as are you and many others), and with passion.

It is a solid business theory for them. It certainly generates more profit. It also infuriates passionate cigar people all over the world, but like sheep, we will eventually have no option other than to follow and buy whatever they feed us.

Or smoke Gurkhas, Padrons, Rocky Patel and the rest of the dreck....

Not Fuente though. Fuentes are great!

If this strategy makes profit, then why aren't the cigar companies that exist in freer markets not going the same direction?

My experience has been that the lcdh releases is good value compared to many regulars - f. ex superiores goes for the same price as mc4

Rg and hu hc can be found very well priced too

That aside I agree that a regular production of high quality is to be preferred to a constantly shifting assortment of double banded cigars. By the time I was ready to buy a box of RA extra they were all gone.

Because there is competition. With Cuban cigars, Bolivar does not compete with Vegas Robaina. It is all under the same umbrella.

Competition brings costs down and generally quality stays up or gets better. Whereas in a monopoly, especially one that so many people believe to be "the best" they can do whatever and people will still buy.

x2

The sooner they bring in some sort of privatisation, partly or fully the better.... I think? lookaround.gif Having each marca compete on quality, variety and price can only be a good thing, surely?

Because there is competition. With Cuban cigars, Bolivar does not compete with Vegas Robaina. It is all under the same umbrella.

Competition brings costs down and generally quality stays up or gets better. Whereas in a monopoly, especially one that so many people believe to be "the best" they can do whatever and people will still buy.

That's a good point. Cuba can get away with quite a bit before people who like CCs start moving to NCs because they occupy a unique position in the marketplace. Also, so I've heard, a lot of places outside the US have a lot less variety in NCs than we in the US do. But doesn't it seem like the more Cuba pulls this s**t the more people will move towards smoking other cigars? Yes, VR isn't competing with Bolivar, but they are both competing with Fuente et al. There comes a point when people like me who like skinny cigars are going to say, "My jaw hurts, I'm going to start smoking NCs"

There comes a point when people like me who like skinny cigars are going to say, "My jaw hurts, I'm going to start smoking NCs"

Lol love this quote.

It is somewhat ironic though, as NCs started the jawbreaker revolution

Hi all

I know this has been mentioned a lot of times here on the forum, about re releasing discontinued Cigars from the past as small batch releases.

Or another tack might be to do the same under a new R.E L.E sort of arrangement, they have the records of the blends so this is surely possible ,I am sure they would sell, hell i would buy some of the gems from the past ,they would I think generate more revenue than when they were a current cigar

cheers

Hi all

I know this has been mentioned a lot of times here on the forum, about re releasing discontinued Cigars from the past as small batch releases.

Or another tack might be to do the same under a new R.E L.E sort of arrangement, they have the records of the blends so this is surely possible ,I am sure they would sell, hell i would buy some of the gems from the past ,they would I think generate more revenue than when they were a current cigar

cheers

I do think that's a good compromise, At least one of the LE they bring out per year could be a past gem. They still get the premium of a LE and the we get to enjoy past greats once more.

Personally I'd prefer to pay the premium for tried and tested blends than some of these new LE blends that quite frankly fall way, way short.

Sad to see the SLR line taking another hit....so many great cigars gone.

Funny thing is this marketing trick of their works in the sense that I go on a buying spree any time a list like this comes out. Bad thing for my friends is I guard those sticks closely whereas I used to share freely...now I only share what I know might stay in production.

Time to go place an order or 3