Hurling

I caught this on TV late night the other day, and can't believe I had never heard of it before. It is such a ridiculous sport. I don't even know how to explain it, so here is a video

And here's the wiki page for it with some of the rules etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling

So.. am I the only one who had never heard of this? Is it big elsewhere? It seems like it would be worth watching more often....

I hope your comment about it being ridiculous is meant in jest...

I have played hurling my whole life for several clubs, it's one of the most demanding and dangerous field sports, not to mention the fastest.

It's massive in Ireland and various other countries play and have national teams.

Maybe ridiculous isn't the right word. It isn't to be ridiculed, but its just absolutely crazy. If someone came to me before I had seen it, I would think they were kidding. Having seen it, it's not a joke in any sense.

Maybe incredible is a better word...

I caught this on TV late night the other day, and can't believe I had never heard of it before. It is such a ridiculous sport. I don't even know how to explain it, so here is a video

And here's the wiki page for it with some of the rules etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling

So.. am I the only one who had never heard of this? Is it big elsewhere? It seems like it would be worth watching more often....

Its a religion here in Ireland man.

The all ireland championship is the showcase of the sport played every year.

Follow it online, you'd love it.

I'm by no means an expert but i admire the players bigitme.

Its hard to believe these days but they are all amatuers.

Proper laying themselves on the line for the love of their game/county.

Proper laying themselves on the line for the love of their game/county.

Such a huge aspect that I miss in most sports anymore. It may be one of the reasons we're starting to see more and more of the Crown-centric, Euro, and historically smaller sports pick up traction in the US - i.e. rugby, field hockey, etc.

That's insane. I can't even comprehend the quickness and hand-eye coordination required to play the game well. Much respect to anyone who can. I'll have to see if I can catch a match sometime.

Love hurling! It is a ninja sport!

My wife's from Clones, Co. Monaghan. As such I love the looks I get here in Oz when I take the hurley and sliotar, my father-in-law gave me, down the park for a whack.

Legend!

You want the definition of 'tough'? Watch a hurling game. The skill is incredible and the players tough as nails. And to think these guys aren't paid as professionals. Ridiculous.

Puts the overpaid, diving football (soccer) brigade to shame.

What a spectacle to watch at Croke Park.

On Tipp!

Hurling is a great game, we started up a GAA club here in Halifax last year. Mostly ex pats but a few thrown in from Canada for good measure.

Our city newspaper had an article on us last year. This is the online version. I was featured on the front page of the paper playing Gaelic Football in the print version

http://thechronicleh...ow-hurley-burly

Come on the Lilly Whites!

A mans sport without a doubt and one of the last remaining few.

My Father's family were legendary hurlers from Antrim. Their 7-a-side team was never beat.

Reading this thread brings back a lot of great memories of hearing my Dad talk about the old days.

Go On Antrim!... and Up Derry! lol3.gif

A mans sport without a doubt and one of the last remaining few.

My Father's family were legendary hurlers from Antrim. Their 7-a-side team was never beat.

Reading this thread brings back a lot of great memories of hearing my Dad talk about the old days.

Go On Antrim!... and Up Derry! lol3.gif

Wow!

Interesting story mate, I'm from Antrim myself.

'Hurling' has different meaning here in AUS. :lol:

.. which is also somewhat of a national sport, right? ;):lol:

Haven't heard of this hurling before. Super cool, super crazy but in a good way. That's the kind of odd sports I wish we'd done in school. We played ultimate frisbee, pffff.

Sweet video, looks awesome! Bet that feels good to get whacked in the face with the "stick!" So I take it the traditional "tough guys" don't wear helmets... kind of like hockey where it took awhile to catch on wearing helmets?

I was lucky enough attend a Hurling match when we visited Ireland in 2009. Something I've always wanted to do. It's a fantastic game to watch - very fast moving. It's a hard game - those guys are a tough as they come.

I would have loved to attend the All-Ireland final at Crooke Park in Dublin, but no chance for an Aussie visitor. Crooke Park has a capacity of over 82,00 and it's sold-out for the All Ireland final. Only members of Hurling Clubs get seats, and even then you have to go into a draw to get one! They're absolutely passionate about Hurling.

Cheers to all our Irish forum members,

Mark