I had a rather good aged Tatuaje Miami Lancero just now...impeccably rolled, great draw, incredibly smooth, well balanced...everything I could hope for. So much so that it left me wanting another one. But alas it was a single that I purchased at a local B&M...got to support the locals or they will go the way of the Dodo.

Began to think of what might be available to me from my collection from the Czar...returned with an HQ Partagas 898.

Reminded me of Winston Churchill commenting about a gifted Brandy from a country not associated with France...

South African Prime Minister Jan Christian Smuts once brought him a bottle of South African brandy. Churchill sipped it and said, "My dear Smuts, it is excellent." And then added, "but it is not brandy."

I'm a big fan of the tatauaje epsepciales. Smoked about a box and never had a bad one. True they may be no Party 898 but they are good in their own right.

There are a couple that have been very good, but my experience with Tatuaje has been very binary... they are either very good (which are very few), or terrible. Examples of very good: Reserva SW Maduro, Boris, Black Lancero... that's about what comes to mind.

I have a large amount of Tats in my humidor and i enjoy most of them

However, due to the large volume of regular production and limited releases they have every year it can be hard to find the "gems" in the line up.

The Black Label Petite Lancero and Corona Gorda, Borris, The entire Monster Series (except the Mummy), Pork Tenderloin and Barkely Rex 100th were/are all very good.

The Tattoo, Outlaw, White Label anything, East Side/West Side were all a bit "Meh" IMO

Some days I prefer to Rum (Tatuajes) and some days i prefer Wine (Cubans in general) so i'm not picky

I quite liked the petit cazadores reserva but would buy a box of Shorts, Corona Juniors etc. over them.

Yeah, these are the one that may not be in the binary equation... they are neither very good nor terrible, just an ok quick smoke. I'd go with the new Half Corona instead, though.

This year is the tenth anniversary of Tatuaje. Pete Johnson and Pepin Garcia have come a long way in that time.

Indeed, and kudos to them on their success. A lot of people really enjoy their cigars, the "hunt", and I suspect the culture. A well executed business venture!

Right now, the Tatuaje novellas reserva, which is a petit corona, is smoking very well. Great coffee and bitter chocolate flavors, with a bit of pepper. Wonderful cigar, outstanding for Tatuaje, which is not a brand I normally like.

Personally, I really like the La Casita Criolla's. After some sleep time in the humi they're quite good, coffee, chocolate, with a little sweet spice, I like em. And at about $4 per, a good value too.

Recently smoked a La Deuna petite lancero from Pete. A good change of pace cigar made and blended by Janie Garcia. Sweet notes of dark fruits and coffee. I am also anticipating my two boxes of El Triunfador Lanceros coming in next week. I have not had on in a few years. A different blend then the normal El Triunfador line.

Personally, I really like the La Casita Criolla's. After some sleep time in the humi they're quite good, coffee, chocolate, with a little sweet spice, I like em. And at about $4 per, a good value too.

X2

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=19.389898,-81.404400

I used to smoke a lot more tatuaje but then they started blending for strength and the nicotine just about kills me in most of their line. So I hardly ever smoke them anymore. Have a whole ton of them in my humi (prob 200+) that I bet average 4-6 years old now. Should prob look at selling them off or trading them.

To top it off most of the good sticks in their line run 8-12+ per stick and for that price I can have a majority of Cuban regular production cigars....so I stick with what I prefer and just buy CC boxes instead.

Interesting that I stumbled on this topic after just returning from my b&m with the same stick OP smoked. Only reason why I bought it is because you rarely see lanceros and I too, wanted to support the local shop. I don't have a lot of expectations for this smoke because I hated the petit cazadores, but I'm hoping the lancero will be better.

I did smoke a Tat "SW" last week and I was surprised an NC could be so good. Never had the real SW, but the NC imitation really surprised me and I enjoyed it very much. If they were 10$ cheaper I'd probably smoke one every time I go to the b&m (paid over $17).

I recently had a Cojonu 2012 with a broadleaf wrapper. Wonderful cigar- definitely a full bodied cigar, but very tasty. I got a strong chocolate hit in the last third that was really nice. I picked up some Noellas 10th anniversary that are supposed to be really good as well. I have to repeat that I am not typically a Tatuaje fan, as the nicotine hit at the end is usually unpleasant for me.

You are lucky to have enjoyed a flawless Especiales. They are now mostly plugged.

Bought a cab of these a couple of years back. Only 2 left that are a bit 'tight'. Quite enjoyed them actually.