Ron Zacapa

Zacapa is very hard to near impossible to find in the PDC area, or at least it was in my hangouts. I had enjoyed it several times in the states but for the 1.5 years I was in Mexico I had to read your posts about one of my favorite beverages and be jealous.

My new regular spot in cayman is Havana Club and my favorite bartenders there pour it regularly for me. As far as I can tell the only have 23 yr old which is my go to.

Of the bartenders, Marlon is the one who regularly over pours the glass for me. Always neat with a water back.

What is your favorite Rum/Ron?

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=19.307771,-81.379115

Zacapa 23 brought me back to rum. El Dorado is good too. Must find the time to open the bottle of Havana club I recently purchased. How's the 23 yr Havana Club? Oldest I've seen is 7 yr.

Isn't Legendario Elixir more of a rum liquer than a rum? I find it very very sweet. My wife bought me a bottle once by mistake in a supermarket in Spain, of course very kind of her but too sweet for me.

Zacapa 23 is a good rum but again I find it very sweet.

Ron Caney Anejo Centuria is a great rum, can be hard to find but cheap when you can. Less than 8CUC a bottle in Cuban petrol stations and I think as good as Santiago 11. Much better than Havana Club 7.

To be honest I find Havana Club Anejo Reserva, I think a five year old-ish rum, a better rum than HC7. It has a less cloying mouth feel.

Of course it's very possible I have cheap taste.

Isn't Legendario Elixir more of a rum liquer than a rum? I find it very very sweet. My wife bought me a bottle once by mistake in a supermarket in Spain, of course very kind of her but too sweet for me.

Zacapa 23 is a good rum but again I find it very sweet.

Ron Caney Anejo Centuria is a great rum, can be hard to find but cheap when you can. Less than 8CUC a bottle in Cuban petrol stations and I think as good as Santiago 11. Much better than Havana Club 7.

To be honest I find Havana Club Anejo Reserva, I think a five year old-ish rum, a better rum than HC7. It has a less cloying mouth feel.

Of course it's very possible I have cheap taste.

My sentiments exactly. I like Zacapa 23, but it is too sweet. Love HC Anejo Reserva.

My favorite rums, in order:

RZ XO (in the shorter, congnac type bottle)

Zaya

HC Selecion de Maestros

RZ 23

HC Cuban Barrel Proof

HC 7

Appleton Estates

While I like the RZ XO the best, the Zaya is almost as good and considerably cheaper, so that's my "best buy" recommendation, but it is a very sweet rum (like the Ron Zacapas). For something a bit different, if you can find the Havana Club Selection de Maestros, try it ... very good rum indeed.

Sadly, I can't find Zaya here in Japan. I'm currently enjoying my very last glass with a Padron 45th maduro. Awesome!

My favorite rums, in order:

RZ XO (in the shorter, congnac type bottle)

Zaya

HC Selecion de Maestros

RZ 23

HC Cuban Barrel Proof

HC 7

Appleton Estates

Have you tried a side-by-side taste of the Barrel Proof and Seleccion de Maestros? Can you tell the difference?

Just wondering if they really are different rums.

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva (just got my first bottle of this and it is my new favorite, not avaiable in my region so htf for me unless I drive 6 hours to California)

Zaya

Zacapa 23

You sir have grey taste.

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva (just got my first bottle of this and it is my new favorite, not avaiable in my region so htf for me unless I drive 6 hours to California)

Zaya

Zacapa 23

My local wine shop has the Diplomatico for $35...will have to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried a side-by-side taste of the Barrel Proof and Seleccion de Maestros? Can you tell the difference?

Just wondering if they really are different rums.

I've found no taste difference between the two. Just slightly varying alcohol content, I believe, is the only slight difference.