NHL starts up in a week. Do you still care?

Right, training camps are underway. NHL resolved the second lockout in 7 years. I forgave the first one because i understood it was a neccesary evil. Implementing a salary cap to control spending and help the bottom tier teams financially. But this one. It baffled me. yaddy yaddy yadda, i could care less about the NHL right now.

IMO, the ones who were hurt the most by this was the tourism industry. Montreal restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, make big money during the nhl year with tourists and whatnot. this lockout hurt the little people so the rich can be slightly richer.

I'm in montreal, its a hockey crazed market. people are already throwing their money at the montreal canadians to buy tickets, tshirts, jerseys and will flock to the consession stands to buy 12$ beers and 7$ hot dogs. I for one, will not pay the astronomic amounts they are asking for now a days. I wont even watch a game on TV unless it happens to be on wherever I am. Wont really bother following anything. I'M pretty much done with hockey for now.

How about you guys? i'm especially curious about the Americans on here who live in non traditional hockey markets...i.e florida, california, nashville, carolina. How was your area affected economicaly. Do you think the scarce fans that your team managed to draw will come back?

As unCanadian as this sounds I hope no one goes to any of the games. I'm told in California and other states that hockey is a dead market/issue. It's going to take a long time for the NHL to get fans back. Of cours there are the hard core ones but I really do hope they can get a taste of there own medicine.

It is hockey season already?

In fairness, I would never watch a hockey game on TV except for maybe game 7 of the Stanley Cup and I did watch that epic game a few years ago between the US and Canada--I think it was the olympics, but, can't really remember. All of that being said, hockey is amazing to watch live and close to the glass! I got spoiled by a few friends who had season tickets to the Predators and were in the 3rd row corner where they attack twice...absolutely amazing.

I really hate the whole strike thing but i really do enjoy hockey and i'll start watching it again. Really hope the Flames don't take half the season to get going by then the season be over...

I am a big Canadiens fan but am unhappy they came back. Don't care that they are about start playing again. A bunch of rich players that making in salary what would take me hundreds of years to make who already get their fair cut. Pissed at General Managers/ Owners that throw crazy money around because a player had one or two good years. I am mad because if Bettman had put a drop dead date of the end of September good chance the league would be playing right now. They screwd the fans so i think we should do it back to them.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to being able to watch the Wings again. I feel a little meh about the whole thing since it's certainly not going to be a real season (i.e. full schedule), but once the games get going and the season progresses I'm pretty sure the fans in general will forgive everything like they always do. Big hockey markets and teams that actually make money will continue to do so; small and/or non-traditional markets will continue to do poorly (financially) and we'll end up in the exact same place with another lockout/strike in 10 more years. But between then and now there ought to be some good hockey out there.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

We get free parking for game 1 and $1 popcorn/pop for the first 10 games i dont know about you but i think we the fans fleeced the players and owners ;) we dont protest anything here in Canada with any gusto lol

Habs are doing a free intra squad scirmmage at the bell center on thursday...but i'm sure conessesions will still be at full price...at the bell center, 2 hot dogs, fries and a beer will run you 25$ with taxes...

As a fan I am glad they finally resolved this and are hitting the ice. On a personal level I will not be watching the NHL this year, as far as I'm concerned this season is a right off. The players and the owners can both suck it as far as I am concerned. I will not pay $120 to go see a game, I will not spend $13 on a beer, I will not pay $20 to park my car there. Both players and owners are on record saying they do not regret the lockout but are disappointed it had to come to that. To me that means both sides still don't get it ....

Over the past couple years I started getting more and more into the NFL. This year I have been watching it and following almost religiously. When the Patriots are playing I don't even think about missing hockey at all. Once the NFL is over the NASCAR seasons should be back in full swing. I might go back to watching the NHL next season but this season is a write off as far as I'm concerned.

I actually really hope this kills off a few franchises that shouldn't have teams anyway. There are to many teams and talent is spread out very thinly amongst all the teams. Get rid of a bunch of teams and the quality of the games will be improved.

Interested in seeing if the Kings can continue their run from last year. According to what all the analysts were saying last year after they won, they should be good for the next few years with the guys they have signed.

They really won LA over with their play and "regular Joe" attitudes.

I think real hockey fans, fans that eat sleep and breath hockey, (myself included) will forget about the lockout after game one of the season. I've missed the NHL for the past few months but my feelings certainly were'nt hurt over their dispute. It makes me shake my head when I see the "news" asking non hockey fans or fringe fans on the street about the lockout and they say they will stop watching.

If you're disgruntled over the lockout it's your prerogative to stop watching but I somehow doubt you were a real hockey "fan"atic to begin with.

I agree in theory, although financially speaking, I am disgusted.

Watching KHL and other EU hockey games were impossible with all the colored faceoff circles and ridiculous sponsor patches. They looked like NASCAR's.

It's true that alot of the local business was hurt during this lockout which is a shame, but if you really care about local business and the "little guy" I don't see how turning your back on the NHL helps them. By supporting the billionaires and millionaires we are also contributing to the local economy and the "little guy".

I can only speak from a Toronto point of view. But any local business that hasn't learned their lesson from the previous lockouts and strikes deserve to get affected. That's terrible strategic planning. You can't bank on sports teams. Their owners will pry tax money from you and still take off. Or when it comes to work stoppages write "Thank you Fans" on the ice. No freebies, etc. The NHL doesn't deserve the fan base it has IMO. I wish more of them would "stick it to them" by withholding their $'s for a while. Anyways, I believe the NHL needs to shed about 10 worthless teams in weak markets. Most of the bars in Toronto at least, lost most of their business when smoking was banned. Some bars claim a 20% loss of revenue as a result of no hockey. Significant? Yes, but it shows that hockey games are not their main source of revenue. Sure it sucks, but if you're hitching your wagon to the NHL's horses you better be prepared for a bumpy ride.

By supporting the billionaires and millionaires we are also contributing to the local economy and the "little guy".

it's probably wishful thinking, but I tend to think it would be nice if more people got togtether just for the sake of it, rather than having to anchor it around some commercial function - which is what the NHL or any "professional" sports event really is. if you want to support the "little guy", cut out the "big guy" and engage little guy directly.

And in short, no, I don't care about the NHL. World Juniors, Olyumpics, OHL etc I may watch, but as far as NHL is concerned I haven't paid attention for years. And I used to be a Sabres season ticket holder.

There is room on the Sabres bandwagon. Get back on board! I see NHL for what it is. I can't take it too seriously. I like watching the highest level of competition, even if I have to turn off the part of my brain that is repulsed by some of the business aspects.

Let's go Buffalo!

If you're disgruntled over the lockout it's your prerogative to stop watching but I somehow doubt you were a real hockey "fan"atic to begin with.

...then you'd be wrong. Seems to me like most die-hard hockey fans are going to start watching the games on TV again but some of us, and I know of others, are flipping the league off until next season or until we can't hold out any longer.

I think real hockey fans, fans that eat sleep and breath hockey, (myself included) will forget about the lockout after game one of the season. I've missed the NHL for the past few months but my feelings certainly were'nt hurt over their dispute. It makes me shake my head when I see the "news" asking non hockey fans or fringe fans on the street about the lockout and they say they will stop watching.

If you're a "real fan" of hockey then you shouldn't be limited to what the NHL has to offer. There is a lot of hockey out there to watch. My feelings weren't hurt either but it made me realize that I just don't care about the NHL or most pro sports these days. It doesn't put money in my pocket, it doesn't make me feel better about myself if the Leafs win or lose. It's entertainment only. I have zero stake in whether or not my city's team are successful. If they whole league folded I would not shed a tear. For me, who wins what is a zero sum. Those players and owners aren't ever going to appreciate and respect their fan base as long as the money keeps rolling in. I always admired the Canadiens fans of the 80's and earlier. If the team sucked, the seats stayed empty and the management right down to the players understood how under performing hurt them. Now they're like Leafs fans. They'll line up for the worst seats and crappy $10 cans of domestic beer just to see continual sub par .500 hockey. :lol: