NHL starts up in a week. Do you still care?

If you're a "real fan" of hockey then you shouldn't be limited to what the NHL has to offer. There is a lot of hockey out there to watch. My feelings weren't hurt either but it made me realize that I just don't care about the NHL or most pro sports these days. It doesn't put money in my pocket, it doesn't make me feel better about myself if the Leafs win or lose. It's entertainment only. I have zero stake in whether or not my city's team are successful. If they whole league folded I would not shed a tear. For me, who wins what is a zero sum. Those players and owners aren't ever going to appreciate and respect their fan base as long as the money keeps rolling in. I always admired the Canadiens fans of the 80's and earlier. If the team sucked, the seats stayed empty and the management right down to the players understood how under performing hurt them. Now they're like Leafs fans. They'll line up for the worst seats and crappy $10 cans of domestic beer just to see continual sub par .500 hockey. :lol:

Toronto should have multiple NHL teams. Greater NYC has 3 after all. Greater competition in the Toronto market might help stimulate the sad Leafs franchise.

If Toronto fans make you wince, drive south and watch the Sabres, a much better run and supported organization.

:fishing:

Toronto should have multiple NHL teams. Greater NYC has 3 after all. Greater competition in the Toronto market might help stimulate the sad Leafs franchise.

If Toronto fans make you wince, drive south and watch the Sabres, a much better run and supported organization.

fishing.gif

So true. The Leafs will never allow other teams to encroach on to their "territory". It's not so much the Leafs fans that bother me. It's the whole organization. Despite their pathetic performance these last.....50'ish years, the Leafs always win the "Financial Stanley Cup". No matter how bad they play, they earn the most revenue and profits than any other team. What incentive do they actually have to put a competent team out there? None I say. They've got a season's tickets waiting list 10'000+ names deep, huge ad revenues and corporate box sales to milk. No one can touch them. Sure they'll sign a big name here and there but never the "really big names". Just the guys you remember being good when they were younger. :lol: I've given up on the Leafs. Waste of time and money. I don't begrudge those who still go. But if you want to see that team improve, start withholding your dollars, stop watching televised games.

...I always admired the Canadiens fans of the 80's and earlier. If the team sucked, the seats stayed empty and the management right down to the players understood how under performing hurt them. Now they're like Leafs fans. They'll line up for the worst seats and crappy $10 cans of domestic beer just to see continual sub par .500 hockey. laugh.png

Yes and no. Correct me if I'm wrong but I find Toronto can sell out every game even if they are the bottom of the league. If the habs are on a bad loosing streak the building will not sell out. If Montreal finished bottom of the league, or close to it, for as long as Toronto has the franchise would be in a lot of trouble.

Yes and no. Correct me if I'm wrong but I find Toronto can sell out every game even if they are the bottom of the league. If the habs are on a bad loosing streak the building will not sell out. If Montreal finished bottom of the league, or close to it, for as long as Toronto has the franchise would be in a lot of trouble.

You're right about Toronto Phil. Even in last place they will sell out. Maybe the Montreal guys can clue us in. But I do believe their fan base has "corporatized" just as much as Toronto's. Fans will still come out to the games even on losing streaks. The fans of 15, 20 years ago would not.

fishing.gif

Hamilton should have a team but it will never happen. Too much pressure from Toronto, Buffalo, and Detroit to prevent it from ever happening. I think it is a shame the league has not moved one of the struggling southern teams to Quebec. With the salary cap that resulted from the last lockout I think Quebec city is a very viable market for an NHL franchise.

You're right about Toronto Phil. Even in last place they will sell out. Maybe the Montreal guys can clue us in. But I do believe their fan base has "corporatized" just as much as Toronto's. Fans will still come out to the games even on losing streaks. The fans of 15, 20 years ago would not.

When the habs are playing very very badly at home the fans will actually boo them and start cheering for the other team.

Hamilton should have a team but it will never happen. Too much pressure from Toronto, Buffalo, and Detroit to prevent it from ever happening. I think it is a shame the league has not moved one of the struggling southern teams to Quebec. With the salary cap that resulted from the last lockout I think Quebec city is a very viable market for an NHL franchise.

Totally agree! Hamilton can support a team no problem. The Leafs along with those two teams always screw them over. Detroit and Buffalo get a lot of Canadians. As for Quebec, I miss the Nordiques. They were the perfect foil to the Habs. The NHL should drop every team where snow doesn't fall. :)

Totally agree! Hamilton can support a team no problem. The Leafs along with those two teams always screw them over. Detroit and Buffalo get a lot of Canadians. As for Quebec, I miss the Nordiques. They were the perfect foil to the Habs. The NHL should drop every team where snow doesn't fall. smile.png

I could not agree more!

Good post. Hamilton & Quebec should have and could support a team! Bettman's expansion program went a few too many teams IMHO. In a perfect world, I'd like to see the league contract 2-4 teams. I think you'd see a better brand of overall hockey after spreading some of the displaced players around. Outside of contraction, moving teams into better, more viable, markets would be the next best move. Khomeinist suggested Phoenix and Florida. I'll agree with you on the Yotes. They lost the most money last year and their attendance was HORRIBLE: 12,420 average last year. I would argue to move Columbus before Florida. The Blue Jackets were next in line for money lost and their attendance average is only 14,660.

Don't forget that when Bettman was doing all this expansion, the exchange rate between the US and Canadian dollar was significant. You could have 12k butts in seats in Arizona and make more then 16k in Quebec. Not so much now.

To answer the OP, I wish they would have canned this season. The Cup will/should have an asterisk by this year because the winner will not have to grind out a full 82 game season. While I had an opinion on the lockout, the people I felt bad for were the fans and the local merchants near stadiums. While my hometown Wild are much improved and will be fun to watch, I do not plan to give them any of my money this year. I probably won't miss a game on the TV though.

*edit: to add Quebec to the first paragraph

Before the lock out, Mtl was on a 300 something full house streak. The Bell center is full wether winning or loosing just like in Toronto. The lower bowl has been full of corporate suits for a long time and the party is in the nosebleed.

The newspapers is where you will see a difference if there is a winning/loosing streak.

Hopefully now that Gomez was told to stay home, we might make the playoff lol ...

I don't really care much about the principles behind the lockout, it happens in every sport, I care about the integrity of a full competitive season being lost. That turns me off big time. Agreed 100% with what was said about there are many other avenues to get your hockey fix, other than NHL = couldn't agree more! ( yes even down here in Texas). I grew up with hockey, watching, playing, attending and collecting since early childhood, but nothing appeals to me about a season so short, that all of the logistics of a full competitive season are lost. They will already be talking magic numbers and playoff projections after the first week of play! I think I'll sit this season out.

In " saw this coming" news, the Dalllas Stars are going to be horrible this "season". Not surprised since anyone in the area who knew where to go could share beers and shots all night long with half the team 6 out of the 7 days of the week during the off season.

I can say, as I am going to school right now in Detroit that the lack of hockey has effected the city greatly. However, I feel as if people are even more excited to watch the red wings because there are fewer games. By this line of thinking the price for tickets will more than likely sky-rocket which is very disappointing as i wanted to attend a few games this season. Cigars > Hockey Games in my opinion.