RyJ Exhibicion No.4 - Looking for guidance

I've lost faith in a lot of RyJ sticks so I'm hesitant when I consider buying RyJs particularly those vitola that I havent tried much.

The Ex No4 is one such cigar : I think ive smoked 2 in my life and both were young.

Im looking at some RyJ Ex4's from 2002/2003/2004.

I'd really appreciate any input from any fellow FOHers who have smoked RyJ Ex4's with some age on them.

I haven't smoked any from 2002-2004 although I do have some boxes in my humidor from 2004. I have smoked some from a 1999 cab and I really liked them. I've also smoked some from 2009 which I also really liked. RyJ may not be the marca for you. It seems most of the comments I read in regards to RyJ lately aren't positive so I may be in the minority here.

2002-2004 should be ok as the R&J factory was still operational before the big renovation,

after the production was moved and dispersed into various premises,

some of the blends suffered noticeably for some years.

My box from '09 is, thanks to Rob, terrific.

Exhibition 4 can be a great cigar when on, I do like them a lot.

Cheers, Alex

2002-2004 should be ok as the R&J factory was still operational before the big renovation,

after the production was moved and dispersed into various premises,

some of the blends suffered noticeably for some years.

I agree <theorically> but unfortunately the boxes mentioned by the OP are all from obscures provincial factories…

Yea. The only RyJ's I acquired and sought were the Cazadores.

Had not had any Ex #4's in years but recently acquired an '06 box that has some of the qualities I enjoyed in earlier years. They used to have a nice fruitiness to them that was lost.

I agree <theorically> but unfortunately the boxes mentioned by the OP are all from obscures provincial factories…

That's what has put me off too, if things were winding down at Briones Montoto so much that the quality was going down the drain, I hate to think what the provincials were being supplied with!

my experience with ex 4 is mostly from the 2006/2007 time frame.

these can be ever so good cigars when on, but as we know, ryj isnt always "on"

good luck

I have smoked plenty from 04 and IMO, not worth the purchase. Very bland would be the best way I could describe them. I have never smoked 02 or 03's. Perhaps they are better than the 04's.

I do not have the knowledge, but I wish someone would post the box codes for the main factories by year and separate out the small provincial codes.

I too would avoid these boxes, since current production cigars are so good right now.

This is the closest I've seen to what you're looking for (if you haven't seen it already).

Spot on- i wasn't sure how much this would be an issue. Also i believe one of the 2004 may come from RyJ factory.

That's what has put me off too, if things were winding down at Briones Montoto so much that the quality was going down the drain, I hate to think what the provincials were being supplied with!

Exactly :S

From what I've read around the boards, Would i be right in thinking that id be better off quality wise if i got a new box regardless of which factory versus a ~10 year old box from one of the provincial factories (due to the whole quality shake up a few years back)

I have an 04 box and had a couple but each time it wasn't that great. Maybe I'm just not a RyJ guy because I hate my short churchills too.

The ex4 from what I remember was very woody with some hints of sweetness. I gotta try one again in a couple months.