BHK - Mailing It In?

For probably the 10th time in the past year I have read very lackluster reviews of the '11 BHK's. Since I only have experience with the '10 release I ask those here who have smoked '10 and '11 to compare the two years. I bought two boxes of 52's not long after they were released and have smoked thru one box. I will post my review from July 11th of 2011 below.

My questions are:

Are BHK's no longer receiving the top tier tobacco they were in '10?

Since the Medio Tiempo leaf is so rare are they not putting it into all BHK because of the rise in demand?

Are you buying BHK, yes or no?

My Review:

First my notes then comments:

First 3rd:

- Cream

- Citrus

- Slight nutty spice

- Ultra smooth with no harshness

- Sweet smelling smoke

Second 3rd:

- Strength is building

- Grassy spice

- Citrus has been replaced with truffled cream

- Tiny amount of brown sugar

Final 3rd:

- Spice picks up

- Powerful and smooth, yet creamy

- Making my lips tingle

- Nicotine is kicking in

- Young but incredibly smooth and balanced

The Behike 52 I smoked tonight was an exceptional cigar. The construction was flawless and the wrapper felt like silk on my lips to the last puff. The wrapper was just incredible, by far the most beautifully constructed and highest quality tobacco I have had the pleasure to smoke to-date. The first third was medium in strength, but building to full by the end. The flavors and smoothness were incredible.

It is a young cigar and felt like it, but it was so well balanced and smooth that I knew I was smoking something really special. This particular example completely validated the price ($30 US) and the hype this cigar has garnered in the press and online. What else can I say? 96 points.

I had a 2011 bhk 52 on christmas day and it was one of the best cigars if not the best cigar i had all year, i have not been impressed with the 2011 56's, the 2011 54's have been very good as well....i have a good supply of 2010's that i have not had yet they are staying down for some time...so 2011 52's and 54's amazing, 2011 56's not so much

Interesting notion there Aaron. I've never got my hands on 2010BHK's, only 2011's. As much as I enjoyed them, I too started wondering if there truly was "medio tempo" used outside of the original release. If it is indeed rare then to me their logistics will change. Either you make more BHK's with less MT or as many as you can with the "standard" MT blend. The cynic in me says they'll produce as many as they can since it's a cash cow. And given our recent visit to EL. It was pretty much 99% BHK production going on. I'd be interested to hear what folks with 2010 & 2011 box codes think.

I am bias so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think that the most consistent of the 3 has been the BHK 54.

EL still gets its allocation of top tier tobacco and medio tempo is used for all cigars (at least that is what I was told and observed when we visited in November) It is true that MT is rare however, it is only allocated to the BHK marca.

I was also informed that the original BHKs sat for awhile due to lack of boxes. Cigars were rolled but no boxes to put them in. Can't confirm that this is true or not. Might be a legend story.

As for buying BHKs, I think you know my answer....:)

I am bias so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think that the most consistent of the 3 has been the BHK 54.

EL still gets its allocation of top tier tobacco and medio tempo is used for all cigars (at least that is what I was told and observed when we visited in November) It is true that MT is rare however, it is only allocated to the BHK marca.

I was also informed that the original BHKs sat for awhile due to lack of boxes. Cigars were rolled but no boxes to put them in. Can't confirm that this is true or not. Might be a legend story.

As for buying BHKs, I think you know my answer....smile.png

I take your bias with a "mountain for salt" :P

I agree with you on the BHK54. That has been solid from day one. The 52 was overrated IMO and the 56 needs sleep. I'm betting long on the BHK56 being a legendary smoke over time. As for the medio tempo. I can only guess. From what I've read/heard. Each plant only produces 2 - 3 of those leaves. Given that Cuba has reduced their crop numbers; who knows how much there really is. :lookaround:

I'm of a similar perspective as others. I only have had 2011 BHK's. I also agree that the BHK 54 appears to be the best performer and most consistent of them all. But, while I find the flavours with them all consistent, my overall experience with these specifically are a bit limited, as I've had less than a handful each of the three different size variants.

Have not had any 2010's to compare this with, but I'm definitely keeping my eyes peeled over time for a decently priced box of original release 2010 BHK 54's, as IMO, those are the only ones and only year (comparing stories like this) that I would care to invest my money in.

Based on current '11 reviews and Rob stating in a recent post that when rollers were out of MT they would just keep rolling to hit quota I decided to post. I too don't doubt there is MT in BHK, but is there as much and are some cigars coming out of Cuba with none at all? From my understanding the MT leaf is easily overpowered by ligero, so if no MT was rolled into a BHK it would smoke very flat. And most of the negative reviews I have read complained of the cigar having almost no taste.

The BHK 54's and 56's need more time, a lot more time. I don't think these will start hitting their peak for another three to five years. The BHK 56 may need even more than five years. If you want to smoke a BHK, stick with the 52 as it's been hands down the best out of the three when smoking young. Toss the rest in the cabinet and visit them in five years and you should be rewarded.

I received my '11 BHK 54 about 2 months ago. Very disappointed because the quality was not there...I had nicks in the wrapper in a couple of them as well as splitting in the foot on a few. I smoked my second one from the box on 1/1 and it was a big let down. Muted flavors and just not the cigar that reviews were making it to be. I smoked a Sig VI the next day that was more flavorful than the BHK. I'm going to try to find a box from '10 and see if that's any better.

Where was all the Medio Tiempo leaf being used (which cigars) before the BHK line even existed??

Have those cigars since had a downgrade of tasting quality since the introduction of BHK?

Where was all the Medio Tiempo leaf being used (which cigars) before the BHK line even existed??

Have those cigars since had a downgrade of tasting quality since the introduction of BHK?

Have a look at the second last picture in Guy's thread from a couple of years ago.

"Tweenies", "made from the little leaves which grow at the top of the tobacco plant, and which are too small for making large cigars".

That's where some of the "medio tiempo" was going, into a modestly priced cigar.

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=103968entry199842

It's a great post by the way.

Not trying to be a downer I would have add to the above:

BHK-Mailing it in???

"RETURN TO SENDER"

-the pig.gif

I though you wrote return to sLender for a moment!!

I received my '11 BHK 54 about 2 months ago. Very disappointed because the quality was not there...I had nicks in the wrapper in a couple of them as well as splitting in the foot on a few.

You can believe it didn't come out of the factory like that, thats a source/vendor/transit issue..

You can believe it didn't come out of the factory like that, thats a source/vendor/transit issue..

Yes, that is true as there is some room between the head of the cigar and the box itself. But the one I had was rolled incorrectly, as it was at least a 56 RG not a 54. It was abnormally thicker than the other cigars in the box, and that couldn't have happened in transit.

Have to agree with DD, 2011 56s have been rather disappointing.

Personnaly, I think the 56 is the worst (still a really good cigar) of the Behike line,I prefer the 52 and the 54 eventough the 52 doesn't lasts long enough.

Love the 54s. Best "fresh" Cuban out there, imvho. If I could afford it, I'd smoke a couple every week.

52s are great cigars, but for me not worth the money over a Trini Rob T, or 3 HdM Epi #2s, lol.

56s -- only had one, thought it was good but the "Behike" flavor was not as strong as in the 54. But with a cigar that fat and that fresh, it's silly to knock it at this point, imvho. Giant CCs tend to need more age on them than thinner ones, in my admittedly short range of experience.