Don't be too freaked out, it's not all tar, it's mostly a mix of tobacco juice, resin and tar from drawing too fast and/or a bit of badly fermented tobacco and over too high humidity in the cigar, from what I've gathered anyway.

Happens with punch only....never with a cutter. Never use a punch because if this

Wrong. It can happen with any cigar and any type of cutter:

24c616g.jpg

I punch everything that doesn't have a pointed head and I rarely (and I mean almost never) get tar.

Punches cannot be the culprit in my book.

I'm in this boat too, always punch but only ever had the tar thing happen with 2 cigars. didnt car on the first one, the second one ended up ditching cos of it, but i know this one was over humidified. punching is where the party is at still, live on the edge!

My cigars are kept at 65% all these while for those I am about to smoke and the longer storage ones are at 61%-62%. And yes, i did experience this before even with a straight cut. But this has become more noticeable with the v-cut. However,I notice almost every stick of the PLPC which I recently got has more of this stuff oozing out. But they smoke fine (no signs of being over-humidified)

I did taste it a bit. Although it is bitter (tolerable and does not spoil the smoking experience - then again the bitter gourd is a regular dish in Chinese cooking) it is also spicy as well. Felt like I had ate some chillies. Anyway, my current solution is to just wipe it away with a tissue.

I've had tar issues on many cigars over the years and have had a hard time, a very hard time, making any rhyme or reason as to its cause. The cut itself (regardless of cutter) seems to contribute to it because tight draws seem to go hand in hand with tar when it appears and if I can cut more off and open up the draw it helps prevent its return.

I think the weather plays a role, too. Drastic changes in temp and rh, both of which are in abundance in Maine with our hot, muggy summers and our freezing, dry winters, seem to play a role. I leave my cigar out of the humi for a while now before lighting which seems to help but doesn't eliminate tar from my life.

I also smoke as slowly and smoothly as I can but no matter my efforts I get tar once in a while. If you've ever had it touch your lips you know it is the most disgustingly bitter taste ever that ruins the palate for hours because it is...well...tar like.

I have had luck squeezing the end of the cigar to concentrate the tar when it does form and then cutting it off and not have it return. In general my best theory is that tight draws combined with drastic climate conditions (humi vs. smoking environment) are the main culprits.