H. Upmann No 2

MikeG

I received this box of H Upmann No 2s this week and wanted to get your expert opinions on the authenticity of these stick. The first thing that struck me was that they seem to have a slight discoloration difference. Also, on the bands it seems that they are sealed with more glue than normal and the bands stick to the wrapper when I try to move the band. I did cut one open and it was all long filler, the bands look legit to me as well compared to previous H Upmanns I have had.

Thanks in advance for your advice guys!

post-14822-0-36186200-1349497083.jpg

post-14822-0-26660900-1349497094.jpg

post-14822-0-89465800-1349497104.jpg

post-14822-0-79437800-1349497112.jpg

post-14822-0-68788100-1349497120.jpg

post-14822-0-88580500-1349497128.jpg

post-14822-0-81501400-1349497135.jpg

post-14822-0-41027600-1349497141.jpg

Thanks for the responses, yes I took the photos with an iPhone and yes the barcode was cut off. I did not buy these from the Czar, but from another source I have used in the past that has been legitimate in my opinion. When I inquired with the vendor he replied back with an explanation about distributors shipping out side their market area. Thank you again for the responses.

Thank you again for your responses guys!

Blakes:I have not smoked one yet, I wanted to let them acclimate in my humidor for a little, I will light one up this week.

Canadian Beaver: Thanks! you guys have gave me peace of mind.

As an additional note to the gluey band point, we were talking about this yesterday. When I was in SoCal I said I smoked a couple of Ashton's and the bands come off in a second. Cubans are such a bugger!

Tom said it drives him nuts, especially some and they may have been Upmann's. He said the glued band sometimes damages the cigar wrapper, so he waits until the burn is just near it and practically melts it off.

Grey market cigars and although likely perfectly legit, they are not the pick of the litter, hence some of the color matching issues. I know several vendors that use parallel importing, and not a one offers a PSP or HQ program as a result. Can't pick from the cream of the crop, albeit they are likely very good smokes. I like the Upmann 2's even though the piramides is my least favorite vitola.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631811,-87.070690

Well the box is definitely legitimate (it's obviously of Swiss origin). I have never seen that much color difference in a box before. The box could be real, but you might have fakes. I'd honestly go with taste though. If you've had real HU No.2s before, you'll know right away from trying one if it's the real deal.

Thanks again for your input guys, I am very glad I found this forum as it has been a great resource to me. This weekend I ended up smoking 2 of the sticks and the taste was pretty consistent with previous H Upmann No 2s I have had, along with another No 2 I had in my humidor as well.

Like everone else here,from the pics, nothing sends up a red flag, but I agree with my hermano Rush, very likely grey market.

My advice for next time this question arises, smoke one first before cutting open, then if it doesn't taste right, cut the one you already lit open for inspection. Now chop up the one you cut open and smoke that bad boy out of a good pipe.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I do not like is the Warranty Seal is improperly put on. It should be put on where the exact center of the 'Shield' is on the 'crease / fold' line as it goes from the top of the box to the front of the box. But again, it is Cuba and the 'Warranty Seal' guy/girl could have had an off day...