Cohiba 1966

Cohiba 1966 box code: BUL Nov 11

At first glance the 66 s a beautiful display of what a cigar should look like, smooth wrapper leaf, immaculate pigtail and notes of cedar, earth & chocolate on the nose.

The draw at cold is perfect with flavors of stone fruit cedar and a little bit of spice to match.

Upon toasting the foot I am immediately hit with spice and that classic cohiba grass. The smoke is rich, coating the palette. The type of cigar you can really taste! As the 1/3 develops the spice and grass give way to a stronger stone fruit (maybe a slight peach), then a mellow cream / milk coffee.

This cigar is older & wiser then its years as is evident from the continued “melt in your mouth” Cuban cream and now a stronger coffee flavor that reminds me of a brazil santos macchiato! As the 2nd progresses I notice a slight return of the spice and a little ammonia on the retro hale (but only for a couple of puffs). The smoke is thick and rich, with a velvet body coating my mouth.

Into the final 3rd the cream is still present but coffee has give way to a return of fruitiness, definitely peaches & ceam with a buttered toast after taste ( one to be savoured!!) As I get towards the nub I notice a sweet sensation on my lips ( I was literally licking them at this point) It is almost a molasses (honey) taste.

What an ending the 1966 gives you peaches and cream, buttered toast and honey!

For such a young cigar this thing is a knock out I would honestly put it att a 95-96! Question to Gordon Mott & co. did we maybe forget to smoke this when complying last years top 25????

post-12839-0-94522200-1349353107.jpg

Thank you for the review - I share your positive opinion about the '66. It was the revelation cigar last year for me in Cuba and has been consistently first class so far.

Great review! Would love to try this cigar, but so far unable to convince myself to part with the $$$

Do it, you won't regret it! The 66 reminds me so much of the Cohiba DC, which was an outstanding cigar.

Do it, you won't regret it! The 66 reminds me so much of the Cohiba DC, which was an outstanding cigar.

Yep I'm with fuzz this is one of those cigars u will regret not having a box of! They are so good now in 5+ yrs they will be classics I feel

Yep I'm with fuzz this is one of those cigars u will regret not having a box of! They are so good now in 5+ yrs they will be classics I feel

Damn you! :tantrum:

mk05 had said what is an underpriced cohiba so I responded back to him referring to the "EL" in my post meaning those are grossly overpriced inferior sticks compared to the iconic cigars that made the brand what it is today (basically the ones I stock) which while are overpriced there is some value unlike these 10ct boxes where if I gave two to my friends and smoked one I would only have 7 left (besides not liking the generic EL profile in general). That's what I meant but I'm glad you enjoyed them.

mk05 had said what is an underpriced cohiba so I responded back to him referring to the "EL" in my post meaning those are grossly overpriced inferior sticks compared to the iconic cigars that made the brand what it is today (basically the ones I stock) which while are overpriced there is some value unlike these 10ct boxes where if I gave two to my friends and smoked one I would only have 7 left (besides not liking the generic EL profile in general). That's what I meant but I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Where as an argument can be made for the 1966 being over priced I honestly believe it is a great example of what "EL's " SHOULD be! And I have yet to come across some one who has referred to it as an inferior cigar. As far as ten to a box I guess that's part of the limitada lol

Good points.

What other cohibas do you smoke?

i smoke a lot of them. whats your point?

I smoke a lot of them aswell the best I am smoking right now are 95 siglo v but I always have 6's robusto's and esplendidos in my rotation aswell well Maduro 5's which are one of my regular go to cigars

post-12839-0-59707800-1349480919.jpg