Review- Ramon Allones Celestials Finos

Clipped this at 9:15 p.m. this evening.

Beverage- filtered water

Draw at cold- loose, but not too windy

Flavor of draw at cold- clean tobacco

Initial flavors/thoughts-

For me this is a perfect opportunity to write a review (my first ever). A great day that started with coffee, the newspaper, and a fantastic run followed by watching golf, napping, sitting in the sun with a cigar, chores, etc., etc.- so everything is done and the world is calm and still and so are my 2 dogs- sleeping by my feet in my cigar room.

The cigar- Wrapper is light in color but I don't put much stock in how the color of the wrapper will affect the smoking experience...I love the shape of these cigars. After doing a little homework I see that the shape is called the 'Britanica', (as far as I can tell) which is very timely as I am very much looking forward to the Bolivar Britanica's which are starting to ship now...Upon lighting it I was met with distinct raisin and burned sugar, toasted tobacco, and a very clean finish.

First Third-

Loads of fragrant smoke. Pungent stewed fruit and a slight bitterness on the back of the palate. White pepper on the finish now. Clean, still, but peppery and not offensively so. Not your first-of-the-day cigar, well not mine anyway. Medium full to full right off the bat. Just took a nice, full pull and was surrounded by very aromatic and heady scents almost Middle Eastern- mysterious and provocative in the scent of the aroma. Exotic.

The ash is somewhat loose but it is retaining the original shape and it looks quite attractive holding it. Flavors have muted somewhat but the overall body and richness are very much still there. Now some nicely charred wood on the finish now. Tasting a very pleasant lavender/flowery nuance. I am smoking this very slowly in an effort to have the cigar speak for itself and to fully enjoy whatever flavors it may show me. The draw now has just enough give so it does not burn too quickly or too hot. The finish now has leaves a nice, rich, somewhat leathery mark on the palate. Last pull of this first third still has that nicely charred taste. Not at all harsh. Zero ammonia thus far. Just taking it as it comes. More to follow...

Second Third-

Picking up right where it left off. The draw is now absolutely perfect for my preference. Nice amount of resistance, yet giving forth clouds of dream-inspiring smoke. First pull showed a nice amount of citrus- maybe Meyer lemon, and a nice vanilla tone that matches perfectly with the resonant lemon...Now the power has kicked in and there is a little tar build-up, requiring another clip so as to not foil the flavors. After clipping I let it rest a bit. Now the draw is looser, but not too much so, and the clouds of smoke taste of black pepper and roasted cinnamon. The exhale through the nose is very peppery- almost making my eyes water. Very satisfying and pleasing though. The leather has picked up and what is interesting is that the body and strength are full, but I just now tasted the delicate lavender/flower nuance cutting through the brute attributes. A slight bitterness to the exhale now but in a very attractive way. Almost like the bitterness of lemon pith in the front but with bold, baking chocolate on the back. I took a sip of water and completely rinsed my mouth while letting the cigar relax again. I can feel the nicotine buzz a little, which I don't mind entirely. Good thing I have been eating quite a bit today. With the fresh palate, I can again sense the fragrance of flowers while the richness still holds its' own. Surprisingly the finish is very clean and still no traces of ammonia or over-the-top bitterness. The cigar is somewhat soft near the ash, but lower than that it has remained solid and has not gone squishy. One more pull before starting the last third...delicious. Red pepper flakes type of heat on the exhale both through the mouth and through the nose. Getting a little sweaty...

Last Third-

Burn has really been excellent- requiring only one touch-up with a lighter. The ash still is a little loose and flaking, but has not dropped off on its' own. A slight tap on the ceramic ash tray releases it with ease. The aroma coming off of the cigar while not smoking it reminds me of being a grade-school kid watching a high-school football game on the sidelines and catching the alluring smell of someone's cigar. I imagine the guy standing there, arms akimbo, with a look of happy weekend- satisfaction on his face. I love when sounds and smells can transport you back in time...The cigar now is very full. The finish is somewhat sour and very charcoal-like, but the length of the finish is short. It makes its' mark and then retreats. The only real experience I have had with Ramon Allones has been the Allones Extra's, which I have been smoking like crazy. This cigar does not remind me of that one in any way, really. I don't know what the characteristics of this marca are and I feel it is an advantage as I have zero pre-conceived notions of it at all. The cigar tastes very much like that campfire woodsy taste that I get from the HDM Des Dieux. The finish is still somewhat floral and clean yet there is no mistaking that this is a full-bodied, rich and strong cigar. I am enjoying the dichotomy of delicate nuance and forceful boldness. Some of the fruit has returned and it is almost tannic. The other flavors have all but gone away, but it is just the same- the cigar is almost at the end. The finish is now getting longer, with leather and toasted tobacco and still completely void of any ammonia- thankfully. For me when the ammonia hits it is over. I have never tasted a cigar that had ammonia come on and then disappear. It ruins my palate for the remainder, so thankfully this has not been the case. For the very last bit it tastes 'good'. And what's wrong with that? :)

Conclusion-

It took me on an unexpected journey of flavors, memories, and aromas. Very good cigar. I would give it a solid 92 without thinking about numbers. Thanks for reading and I look forward to your thoughts.

DougB

More than a cigar review. A stream of conciousness. I haven't even tried one of these yet, tho' there's a box in the back of the humidor awaiting its' rendezvous with destiny. It sounds like the time is drawing near.

Great review doug, these cigars, in another 2-3 years will be something very very speacial imo.

I did a group buy on an HQ box of these with two other members on here, and it's marinating in the locker for now. We were toying on the idea for the past year or so of maybe getting those babies sent over. That said, sounds like it's best to leave them sitting for another year, maybe two.

BUT....now I'm toying with the idea of getting a whole other box, just for me for the long term! :drool:

Damn you, nice sounding cigars!!!!

I did a group buy on an HQ box of these with two other members on here, and it's marinating in the locker for now. We were toying on the idea for the past year or so of maybe getting those babies sent over. That said, sounds like it's best to leave them sitting for another year, maybe two.

BUT....now I'm toying with the idea of getting a whole other box, just for me for the long term! :drool:

Damn you, nice sounding cigars!!!!

Same here i'm entertaining the idea of a full box for myself, I think i have like 6-7 singles in my humi right now. GOing to light one up tonight and make up my mind from there.

Great review Doug

These Cigars seem like there just starting to hit their straps ,had a few of these when first released ,and to say we're an Ammonia bomb would be an understatement .

Think these might be worth a revisit ,one again thanks for a very enlightening review

Cheers OZ :cigar:

Great review doug, these cigars, in another 2-3 years will be something very very speacial imo.

I tend to agree, although I think it will take a bit longer than another 2-3 years. I'm thinking 5-10. Patience with these and I think we will be rewarded with an absolute gem of a cigar.