Cigar Number 2. FOH 2012 Blind Tasting

Temperature 13C, barometric pressure 1018.6mb, atmosphere 78.05% Nitrogen, 20.95% Oxygen, 0.93% Argon, blood alchoholic content unknown. Tastes like a cigar. More rum required for cogitation.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. Came to write my review. But... Drguano wins.

In all seriousness, this was the last possible day for me to smoke it and get my vote in on time... and... i've been fighting a sinus infection for a few weeks now... thus... hard for me to make out... :-(

Asking for an extension of a day or so. I won't be able to smoke this until the evening of Tues., May 1st here. I would have my review in for that evening. Yes, that'll make the review delayed, as it won't be in until the morning of May 2nd, Aussie time. But it'll still be in for the tabulation and posting of the results on May 3rd. I hope this is okay.

Pretty please...???? :rolleyes:

Asking for an extension of a day or so. I won't be able to smoke this until the evening of Tues., May 1st here. I would have my review in for that evening. Yes, that'll make the review delayed, as it won't be in until the morning of May 2nd, Aussie time. But it'll still be in for the tabulation and posting of the results on May 3rd. I hope this is okay.

Mate... if it were anyone but you... I would say you have a better chance at just guessing!!! -LOL

As Nut is the defending champ :spotlight: , I say what's in a day or two. -the PIg

Done mate.

I am in the warehouse the next few days and then fly out to HK. I will wrap this up just after the coming weekend.

Anything for you honey :rotfl:

Mate... if it were anyone but you... I would say you have a better chance at just guessing!!! -LOL

Ray, am I putting your theory into shambles? Your theory about the lack of brand / marca / vitola profiles? LOL. Trying my best, if it's working!

Anything for you honey :rotfl:

Awwwww shucks..... :blush::rolleyes:

Mystery Cigar #2

Size: Corona Gorda

Dry Boxed: 1 day

Wrapper: Colorado

Pre-Light Aroma: Hint of leather and tobacco

Pre-Light Draw: Loose

1st Third: Open with a burst of white pepper, then quickly dissipates into a little woodiness and some leather .. Light to medium bodied. Draw is a bit too loose for my liking, possibly underfilled. A little tunneling coming into the 2nd third.

2nd Third: Flavours have strengthened a touch, bit of sweet coffee now present. Very light flavoured cigar. Burn is wonky, draw is still loose and tunneling. Wrapper won't stay lit and core is burning hot.

Final Third: Tunneling badly now. Wood, leather and tobacco flavours are all I'm getting now. Turning harsh. Laid down with 1 1/2 inches left.

A very subtle flavoured cigar, but probably due to it being underfilled. Such a pity.

Blind Cigar No 2.

This cigar had a nice colorado wrapper with a slight oily sheen and a wonderful velvet feel. Construction was quite good, and the aroma at cold was sweet tobacco. The pre-light draw was fantastic with just the right amount of resistance and hints of cocoa.

Lighting this cigar, the opening draw was straight tobacco. As were all subsequent draws. This cigar was completely one dimensional - from the first draw to the last was the same straight tobacco flavour. It was nice, initially, but I was left waiting for a change that never occurred. The construction of this cigar remained very good. The burn only needed one touch up and one relight.

This cigar showed great promise early on, but I don't know what happened once I lit it. Maybe the problem was with me.

Nick.

Bind cigar 2

Decent looking wrapper with a few green spots, seems well filled. Punched it and off we go...

Get pepper off the bat, mainly through the nose with some sweet cream and burnt coffee following.

Draw was solid, kept up with the hints of sweet cream, coffee and added some woodiness into the 2nd 3rd.

Body was medium until the end of the final 3rd, had spices intermittently, and ramped up to med full with more burnt coffee and wood

86/87

Mystery #2

I smoked this cigar a couple weeks ago now and took relatively detailed notes, at least by my standards. But apparently my dog ate my notes or my wife, again, mistook my highly valuable scribbling as signs of a pending mental breakdown. Either way if I miss out on correctly picking this cigar I will have to blame either one or both of them.

From memory this cigar was a pleasant smoke, good construction and more likable than the PC mystery #1. Probably my favorite size of all. Construction was good, draw was perfect and burn even. Flavor wise I recall some cedar and pepper notes, but not much more than that. Based on this sample I would be interested in trying a few more sticks just to see how they fare over a broader selection.

I'm determining my choice by eliminating the cigars of this size that I have smoked and feel comfortable in knowing their characteristics, this one did not ring any bells and I am forced to revert to a professional selection criteria of enee, menee, mynee, mo.

I've just finished smoking Cigar #2. It's interesting that there is some disagreement about whether this cigar is box pressed. My cigar is flat on one side but well rounded the rest of the way, so I'm guessing that it got a bit compressed in shipping.

This is not a size that I smoke a lot of, but I really enjoyed it. It was beautiful, perfectly constructed, a great draw and burn. I didn't have to make any corrections. Right off the bat I got some tastes of spice and sweetness, with wood and nutty flavors. A very pleasant cigar. The first third was medium bodied. When I got to the second third the cigar picked up in flavor, and I thought that I detected almond and a sweet taste like white cake frosting. The cigar was pretty smooth but had a bit of harshness that I thought might mellow out with some age. I got a bit of pepper but that was not the predominant taste.

During the final third the cigar got stronger but still had the underlying sweetness and nuttiness. It was good enough that I smoked it until my fingers couldn't take it any more.

Overall, a fine cigar. It's probably not one that I would buy a box of. I tend to prefer smaller sized cigars and in longer cigars, I like the thinner ring gauges. I'd score this an 88.

Rob, I'll send you my guess. Not too sure on this but it was an enjoyable cigar.

I had high expectations for this smoke given its appearance. Like others noted, my cigar was well constructed, had a nice sponginess to it, and had a beautiful oily sheen.

Pre-light aromas and taste were of sweet tobacco and I spent the first 3rd of the cigar waiting for it to come alive with flavour. Second 3rd was much about the same as the 1st. Waiting... Waiting... Still nothing. A small part into the third 3rd I pitched it. I haven't had a lot of time lately to enjoy a cigar and I wasn't about to waste another minute on this one. Nothing bad about it, just bland. The only thing I could get from this cigar were nondescript flavours and heaps of smoke. Almost as if it wanted to tell me something, but just couldn't get the words together.

This will be a total guess. Fingers crossed...

Current temperature: It sucks but it could be worse

post-9113-0-80999400-1335830363.jpg

Construction:

The foot feels a little harder then the rest of the cigar.

Colorado wrapper colour or seems like it to me.

Smells like leather, an old catchers mit.

Feels smooth, a couple veins that span large portions of the cigar.

Overall quality is good.

post-9113-0-29620800-1335830405.jpg

After the cap was cut there was a small tear but it did not affect the cigar at all.

Cold draw seemed a bit tight.

Paired this cigar with a glass of Jack Daniel's Honey (JDH).

Windy out today, not a good day for smoking a cigar ... !@#$

post-9113-0-88487200-1335830493.jpg

1/3

Nuts and cream right off the bat with a little bit of coffee in the mix.

A small amount of pepper.

Draw is really good, can't complain at all.

post-9113-0-57298800-1335830551.jpg

Lots of cream now.

A touch of wood has entered the mix.

JDH is still sweet but calmed down a bit compared to normal. The taste of cigar was found in the after-taste but with lots of sweetness. I may have just found another great combination!

The burn is off a little but probably caused from the wind. I am going to give it a chance to correct itself.

JDH is going down easy ... too easy.

Lots of cream ... it is a cream bomb.

post-9113-0-80675200-1335830592.jpg

2/3

A little bit of leather and a tiny bit of almonds but still lots of cream.

JDH still sweet.

Burn is good and no touch ups have been required yet.

post-9113-0-40883000-1335830699.jpg

Very very faint pepper. I am smoking this faster than usual to try and keep the wind from killing it off on me.

More wood, less cream.

This 2/3 has been very consistent, not a lot of change in it.

post-9113-0-08783200-1335830731.jpg

3/3

Still rockin' the JDH.

A lot woodier, a little more pepper.

JDH initial taste changed, still sweet but a little harshness ... not sure how to describe it really but the after taste is the same as it has been since the beginning.

Minor burn correction was required but I believe it was caused by the wind.

Toasted tobacco, wood, pepper.

post-9113-0-10672400-1335830829.jpg

Smells like one of my neighbours is cooking fish with lemon and maybe rosemary ... yum. I have never even thought of cooking fish with rosemary before but I might just have to give it a shot!

JDH not tasting as sweet as it once did, the 'end of the line' cigar flavours are really starting to permeate it.

Leather flavour has made a bit of a comeback towards the end.

post-9113-0-35162300-1335830850.jpg

I can see myself picking up a box of these sometime down the road. When I think of this cigar I think of camping. This is the cigar I would spark up first thing in the morning while I start a fire, cook my breakfast, eat breakfast while smoking this, and then finishing it off with coffee ... or a beer if I neglected to bring coffee.

Despite the wind, and my cold hands, I'm glad today was the deadline and I had to do this because I did enjoy this sick. I don't rate cigars very often but I would give this an 88.

The cigar was in excellent shape and the draw was perfect. The cigar to me, was very mello and didn't show its full potential to the last third. Maybe my cold masked some of the flavors, but I found a subtle hint of orange peel with a slight hint of pepper the last third. I would have say its a perfect cigar for lazy summer afternoons.

Box pressed and an even oily sheen, very well constructed. No soft spots. Aroma at cold is a little cedar and barnyard. Opening is medium with tangy fruit and leather. This combination wavers in and out. There are some elements of youth, but not sensing any harshness or spice. I'm not getting cream, but the smoke is velvety and smooth. Leather and fresh tangy fruit are what continues to the nub. Overall, a 89. Solid smoke. My guess is on it's way! (Sorry if I am late Rob).

Finally got a chance to smoke cigar number 2 last night.

Obviously a corona gorda with a slight box press. Nice colorado wrapper. Aroma at cold is... well, tobacco. Straight tobacco opening, developing some fruity notes with a bit of cream. Medium bodied. Building medium-full in the second third, still with a hint of fruit and cream. Stayed medium-full for the final third, where a bit of spice developed. Got a bit hot toward the end, so layed it to rest.

Overall, quite enjoyable. Although I preferred cigar number one.

Don't have too much experience with corona gordas, so another stab in the dark on its way to Rob.

already submitted my guess to rob. here is a short write up.

Cold Draw : Barnyard, slight cedar nots

first third : sweet, Leather, creamy, hints of milk chocolate. no spice to speak of

second third : leather, honey, cedar, light pepper

last third : Cedar, Honey

Basicaly, it was a fantastic cigar, whatever it was, i want a box of it. I was hesitating between two cigars hope I got this right.

Guest rob

Had mine last night.

Was one of the better constructed cigars I've had this year. Flawless in every way - perfect wrapper, cap, bunch and burn.

A really enjoyable smoke, but not one that is overly familar to me - Im pretty sure that if I've sampled these before that it would be or two at most.

A slightly charred tobacco taste with a nedium to medium full body. It did have very good progression and complexity in the second and final thirds... good development and changed it up regularly.

Depending on price, I'd buy these regularly.

90 points.

I know I'm late for thisbut personal circumstances made this unavoidable.

I am posting my review even if I have missed the cut.

My cigar was a nice looking colorado wrapper.

At cold it had a sweet smell of cake.

This cigar had a rough draw and burn problems throughout.

It smoked around medium with no real complexity.

It never changed it's profile from beginning to the end.

It was sweet, creamy cake with a hint of leather throughout.

There was no spice.

Basically a one trick pony.

It was a pleasant but uninspiring smoke.

The draw and burn problems were a bit of a distraction.

I would rate this an 80-82

Sorry for my tardiness.

Good luck to all.

Blind Tasting Cigar#2

Corona Gorda

I am late for the review but i have send my guess :looking: some days ago.

Constuction:excellent,dark colorado wrapper,flawless,no veins ,no soft spots.

Cold draw:Smooth with good resistance,signs of excellent constucyion continues

Some young tobacco taste,and a bit of pepper in the lips.

Opening:White pepper,as expected,but with an underliying creameness.

1st third:Pepper subsided,smooth cream,lots of smoke.

2nd third:Prety much the same,no actual change,still an enjoyable medium bodied creamy cigar.

Final Third:Some darkening of flavours,coffee,still with smooth cream.Medium body.

Overall,an enjoyable smooth morning cigar from my taste.I think i have had this one before,and wil try again for sure

Best of luck to all!!

Nikos

A delayed posting of my review - I got my guess in on time, and am smoking the Churchill as I write.

CO- brown wrapper. A bit squared, but I'm guessing from shipping and that this is from a cab. Lots of pre-light aroma. Some shine and oil.

1st third. Great burn and lots of smoke. Dark, woody flavor. Smooth and miid-medium.

2nd third. Smoother. No change in flavor.

End. Little change in flavor. Leather?

A fine cigar, but not my favorite. Flavors are too deep for me. Somewhat one dimensional. Not sure what it is. ----sam