Cigar Number 2. FOH 2012 Blind Tasting

Blind Cigar Tasting Competition, Cigar No. 2, “Corona Gorda” format - final score, 84

So, here’s my review of the second cigar in this year’s blind cigar tasting competition….

Reviewed Cigar: Blind Cigar No. 2

Box Date: Unknown (current production)

Factory/Manufacture Code: Unknown

Packaging: Unknown (but with a mild but definite box press)

Price: Never talk money...

Length: 5 5/8", or 143 mm

Ring Gauge: 46

Format: Corona Gorda

Weight: Don't you know it isn't polite to ask a fella this??

Construction/Appearance & Pre-Light: Noticed that this cigar was almost a 44 ring gauge, just a smidgen smaller than the standard 46 for a corona gorda. I’m attributing that to a bit of shrinkage, maybe the box press squeezing it down a bit, etc. No major issue there. The length was absolutely bang on at 143 mm.

The wrapper was a beautiful and fair Colorado tone, with no blemishes or green spots or major defects at all. This wrapper was lovely. Slight oily sheen, impeccable finishing with the wrapper, no veins or wrapper issues, and actually a quadruple-cap (four wraps evident rather than the standard three). This cigar felt perfect in the hand, with no soft spots or hard spots evident, and the foot was looking well packed and constructed. Heft and feel of the cigar were overall good and firm. This cigar just looked and felt like something to be beheld. Smelling the foot and body while at cold, and there was just an overwhelming presence of clean, rich, toasted tobacco. Simple and undeniable.

post-6965-0-63569200-1336355425.jpg

post-6965-0-99691100-1336355455.jpg

Clipped – pre-light draw was perfect. On the mouth at cold, and it had a cold draw of ginger cookies, but with a twist. Usually, when I smell or taste gingerbread, there is a background tone of molasses in there somewhere. This didn’t have that. Instead, there was just this taste of ginger and sugar cookies, sort of like those Dutch windmill cookies, just a plain ginger tone. Very nice.

Opening Impressions: After a lighting up and initial draws, starting to notice that the draw actually seemed to firm up a bit. Decent amounts of smoke. Rich tea. Woodsy tones.

First Third: One touch-up to be had during this third, and no relights. Vague hits of a few items, flavour-wise….but nice overall. However, the draw continued to close up a bit, with minimal smoke being produced. The smoke wasn’t overly viscous or lush. Although the following picture doesn't really show it, the burn was decent throughout, and the ash was fairly firm and regularly was inch-long or more.

post-6965-0-79226400-1336355608.jpg

Second Third: The flavours were receding further here, and the lack of dense smoke continued. Hints of woody tones and a rustic nuttiness was also there. The body was on the lighter side of medium, but still there. This cigar didn’t draw too much of my attention, but it wasn’t really holding it either. Some youthful tanginess and harshness crept in, along with some citrus tones around the edge of the smoke. A light woodiness to this, with the cookie aspect still minimally there. At the end of this third, really lost patience or concentration with this cigar, time was pressing for me, and just decided to lay it down at this point.

Finishing Comments / Overall Impression: Meh. Not bad, but not overly good either. This cigar kind of let me down, considering the beautiful construction and pre-light aromas and at-cold flavours. Definitely seems like this cigar had some youth to it, and whatever it was, they would need to sit longer – it seemed to be something where the tobacco in this hasn’t really woken up from its slumber, where it would need time to become something interesting. Sadly, it wasn’t interesting now. My call? PM’d to Rob. Fingers definitely crossed on this one. I put it between two potentials, but I'm somewhat sure that this is similar to others of this brand that I've had before that have also left me wanting for more, so we’ll see.

Final Score: 84

Total Smoking Time: 45 minutes for two-thirds

Paired Beverage: Some Coke initially, then some passion fruit / tropical punch.

Date & Time Smoked: Sunday, May 6th, 2012, 7:50 pm to 8:35 pm

Thanks for reading my review. Hope you enjoyed it.

Cheers.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic