José L. Piedra

all short filler yes, you get what you pay for...pretty harsh. I guess if you need to smoke a cigar while mowing your lawn, you could get these...but for a bit more i'll buy partagas mille fleurs or Hoyo Palmas extra's.

This is a good 45-60 minute stick that you can just pitch if you get interrupted because of price. Short/medium filler and rough when young. Some might think I'm crazy for going to the trouble but aging helps. I order 50 at a time (comes in boxes of 5 X 5), take them out of the cardboard boxes and put all 50 together in an empty 50 cab. Wait 1 year, serve chilled, enjoy!!

This is a good 45-60 minute stick that you can just pitch if you get interrupted because of price. Short/medium filler and rough when young. Some might think I'm crazy for going to the trouble but aging helps. I order 50 at a time (comes in boxes of 5 X 5), take them out of the cardboard boxes and put all 50 together in an empty 50 cab. Wait 1 year, serve chilled, enjoy!!

Bought my first box of JLP last summer (petit cazadores). Not great and agree with Riaz that i'd rather pay the extra and get palmas extra, but I've heard of you do what PartiDude says and remove them from the boxes (I have done this) and place in your singles drawer, they start getting better after a couple of years. Will let them sit and see what happens.

One up from Guantanameras, one down from Quinteros.

I shudder to think of how many of these you had to smoke to develop your guantanamera >>> JLP >>> Quinteros ranking system.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.c...1762,-87.070258

I have some Jose L Piedra still kicking around at the bottom of my humi (bought them before I knew anything about CCs). I kept saying I'd just toss them when I completely run out of room but after reading this maybe I'll spark one up when that happens. I'm sure I've had them for maybe a year and a half to two years.

I shudder to think of how many of these you had to smoke to develop your guantanamera >>> JLP >>> Quinteros ranking system.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.c...1762,-87.070258

LOL :perfect10: I first started cigars going dog walking so basically just wanted something rustic and basic. Only ever had half a Guant and half a dozen Piedras. Then The Quintero panatela came knocking and it checked all the boxes for a dog walking cigar. It's the only quintero I enjoy though, the rest are grubby and dirty to me. I still measure all cigars by the QUintero Panatella...sadly a hell of a lot of cigars fail to meet that standard if you can believe it lol :loser:

Quick story, I went to the LCDH in Yorkville (fancy part of downtown Toronto on my own one time since I was walking by. beautiful day. So I go in, pick up a HdeM Epi #2 or something because I was paying Canadian retail. About 6 guys there, all regulars. They all go oooohhh... ahhhh so FANCY.

I look and see they are all smoking the same thing... you guessed it. JLP Robustos.

L

LOL :perfect10: I first started cigars going dog walking so basically just wanted something rustic and basic. Only ever had half a Guant and half a dozen Piedras. Then The Quintero panatela came knocking and it checked all the boxes for a dog walking cigar. It's the only quintero I enjoy though, the rest are grubby and dirty to me. I still measure all cigars by the QUintero Panatella...sadly a hell of a lot of cigars fail to meet that standard if you can believe it lol :loser:

We put a box of the quint panatellas on the shelf for the "I just want your cheapest Cuban cigar" crowd. I smoked one and didn't really enjoy it but it wasn't repugnant.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631742,-87.070592

JLPs are quite harsh when young, but let them sit for five years and you'll have nice smokes. A bit different compared to "quality cigars". Just don't think about the price tag.

Currently having Cremas from -05 which have been very good for a year now and a bundle from -09 which will remain unopened for three years at least.

I wouldn't call one or two years aging, it's only a nap. I'd say five years is a minimum for aging any cigar, but someone may laugh at me saying a couple of decades is aging..

Nap it is then!!! :thumbsup: Let them nap for 1-2 years.

:lol: Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. To be exact, I haven't noticed a positive change until over four years of sleeping and the cigars were in a desktop humidor, not in a closed box or a cabinet which increases the time of getting ready to smoke. I'm not trying to be a smartie, only sharing my opinion which may not be necessarily the holy truth. :ok:

Why would anybody buy cigars just to not smoke them and let them sit for 5 years? Just spend the extra couple bux and get a decent box. Just mho.

Just because they taste better then. Not only JLPs, but many other cigars also IMHO. After all, it is a good thing that tastes vary. :yes:

Didn't mean to sound upset. I didn't consider your reply rude and was sincerely agreeing with you. I do like them after 1-2 years and the open draw can be very satisfying when I want some straightforward tobacco taste and don't care about picking out complex flavors. I guess feeling satisfied is key for me here and I can just dump it if time is short.

I buy boxes of the JLP Cazadores for a buddy of mine each Christmas and he's always very grateful and puffs away gleefully and feels very luck to light one up whenever he gets into his car. From time to time I'll light one up with him and, you know the feeling of taking the next puff and hoping there'll be some kind of evolution in the cigar's profile, well these really don't have that and I guess never will..... Every puff tastes the same..

But......

I still think they're better than MANY Non-Cubans.....

Are they great?? Far from it ......

But, they do have kind of a nice smell in the air when someone else is smoking one near by ...