Whole Le Hoyo series, your take

I smoked my way through the whole Le Hoyo Series in the early 90s, and reached at that time the conclusion that (at least as far I was concerned) the only vitola which I thought truly out of the ordinary was the Des Dieux, while in the case of the other modules, there were in each instance something better to find in other brands.

This afternoon, on the advice of my regular seller, I picked up a Du Roy from a splendid box of 2006 (this vitola was discontinued since 09). I was pleasantly surprised by this vintage cigar and, although I still persist in thinking that the Des Dieux are better, I may start changing my mind on the whole series and start re-investigate it.

I would really appreciate advice and comment on the whole series by fellow members who are more experienced than me (which is not going to be too difficult!) on these cigars.

Best,

Michel

Du Roi and Du Prince are too woody and petey for me.

However, Du Dauphin is my favorite. Closest to classic Hoyo. I enjoy Des Dieux and Du Prince also. Du Gourmets have not been good since the 90s.

Du Maire is a waste. There are better entreactos. Box is cute though.

IMHO, I think the Du Roi deserves the same accolades that the Des Dieux (rightfully) gets. I don't know of a more pleasant, sweet gentle wood cigar than the Du Roi. I have 2 boxes in my Czar Locker and they will stay a few years yet because the cigar is best with a few years, but it is among my favorite HDM cigars and Coronas.

The rest of the line (Du Prince, Du Maire, Du Dauphin), I just never really enjoyed 'em. Have never tried a Gourmet yet but I have one box in the Locker, because I can see them getting discontinued real soon the way HSA is going.

we do have a vid coming up, if smithy ever gets back from the bathhouse, where we look at a hoyo. can't give too much away but it was a very pleasant surprise for us all.

that said - dieux. special!

i smoked the very last one from a cabinet - ORE JUN 03. they have been mostly very good, a few a bit harsh and a few special but the very last one was as good as it comes. if i scored it - a comfortable 98. sweet, complex, subtle, brilliant. one of those rare cigar monents, like rob's with the plpc.

I don't know why people have "beef" with young des dieux. I love them young , that said when they are aged they make u need to change your shorts. I had one from a friend from 2002 and man oh man I'd say it was like Robs plpc eureka moment. I have yet to try the du prince petit corona but am excited. The du gourmet I've bought maybe 5 singles from different places, not one cigar could be drawn through. 5!!!! All plugged. Off putting so I'm not going to touch them again. Anyways des died great.

As almost everybody else, I like the Des Dieux -

however, I tried a few early 08 Du Depute, a short 38 ring gage cigar, and they were stunning!

I would really appreciate advice and comment on the whole series by fellow members who are more experienced than me (which is not going to be too difficult!) on these cigars.

Best,

Michel

Hey Michel, the le hoyo series are - as others have mentioned - phenomenal after a long sleep. I very much enjoy the Du Roi and the Des Dieux. I've had the '03 and '98 vints, both excellent.

I find these very akin to Fonseca in the matter that they're not vying for the spotlight. You have the Epicure series (Which I love ben) do that for the Hoyo marca. Enjoy!

Thanking for your particular comment (as well as to all the other contributors). I come to the conclusion (how surprising!) that aging is really necessary in their cases.

Best,

Michel