Blind Cigar Tasting Competition Thread: Cigar Number 2

Second cigar smoked (Robusto) by 15th April

Third cigar smoked by (Piramide) by 30th April

Brief review but DO NOT CALL the cigar. Post the review on this thread.

ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST PM ME THEIR CALL FOR THE second CIGAR BY MIDNIGHT THE 15th of April NY TIME. I will then post the results in a spreadsheet. Please PM and do not e-mail me otherwise I may lose the correspondence.

To the winner (who can correctly select all cigars sent) $500 USD/AUD prize . In the event of a tie, prize is split.

In the event no one picks all three cigars then the prize will be split as a credit to those who selected 2 out of 3. Keep trying!

I will write up a spreadhsheet and post the results for cigar no 2 on 16th of April. No new players can request cigars.

Good Luck!

El Presidente.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have been referring to Mystery Cigar #2 as a Robusto. Are you willing to state here that the cigar is of the Robusto vitola, which would exclude cigars from the very nearly identical Hermosos #4 vitola? Or are we on our own to break out the calipers and measuring sticks and reach that conclusion (or the opposite one) ourselves?

Nobody seems in a rush to review this cigar and as I have midterms next week I thought tonight would be a good moment to "get it over with".

As one of the 6 with the most to lose I really wasn't looking forward to reviewing this cigar, but here goes.

The cigar weighs in at 11.5 grams and is 12.4 cm long with a 19 mm diameter which roughly translates to a 50 ring gauge. My limited knowledge tells me this would be a Robusto.

The wrapper has a nice light brown shade and is fairly oily with a lot of veins. The cap is well done but the foot is cut on a sledge. The cigar feels heavy and seems completely packed.

The wrapper smells sweet and the foot smells floral with a little spice.

I wet the cap before cutting and it tastes bitter and unpleasant, almost like the person who had handled the cigar just put their hand in an old ashtray. Draw is fine, little loose but impressive for such a packed cigar.

Pre-draw gives a salty licorice sensation.

First puff is of a toasted sourdough bread, if it wasn't for the flat cap my first guess would be a Robusto T. Sadly this isn't a Trinidad as the cigar quickly changes for the worst. There's an espresso aspect to the cigar and I'm pretty sure the cigar is extremely young. Maybe late 2010. The cigar is dry in it's taste and the burn gets a little wonky.

The cigar is way too young to really enjoy. The nicest thing about it is that the smoke smells like green apple through the nose.

I need to relight the cigar and the smell of the match burning is the nicest thing I've smelled since lighting this cigar.

The end has a little slash of cream that the cigar undoubtedly "stole" from one of the other cigars in my humidor. I switch from tea to a vanilla coke because my palate screams to be put out of it's misery.

Whoever rolled this, hates cigar smokers.

I'm torn between two cigars, either it's a bad version of a cigar I love, or it's a cigar that I've always hated. At the end of the day the only satisfying result would be that it's the Monty Open Robusto, but I doubt Rob would be cruel enough to include those in the competition.

I took pictures but I'm not gonna upload them as I refuse to be reminded of this cigar.

I give up. Good luck to the rest

:D

Well constructed, this cigar gave a typical Cuban "robusto" draw after the clip. Looser than a PC but not a wind tunnel either. Pre light flavors and aromas were clean tobacco maybe a little from the barn.

The first third of the stick had some distinctive leather and soap components that were very pronounced. Lots of smoke as to be expected from the vitola.

The cigar seems young and was getting a bit harsh; slowed down the puffs and brought it back to center. Half way through the leather started to disappear but no spice to this point in the cigar. The final third started to express some light coffee tones and a hint of cocoa.

Burn was relatively straight and little or no re-touches with the torch as per the excellent construction. Mouth feel was thin and not as rich as you might want/expect from such a good smoke stack.

Cigar was young and unpredictable. the changes from leather to coffee were so slight I almost missed it. Buy a box? Hmmmm, would like to see what one of these with a couple years on them are like first.

Un-Educated Guess to be sent shortly.

glenn

You have been referring to Mystery Cigar #2 as a Robusto. Are you willing to state here that the cigar is of the Robusto vitola, which would exclude cigars from the very nearly identical Hermosos #4 vitola? Or are we on our own to break out the calipers and measuring sticks and reach that conclusion (or the opposite one) ourselves?

I may have given it away...or may not. :huh:

I smoked this cigar tonight paired with Oban 14. Mine was a beautiful Robusto with a light colorado wrapper with a slight sheen. Wrapper was smooth and thin. Aroma at cold was very light wood (teak) and the prelight draw was close to perfect. Overall very well constructed.

First third began nicely with plenty of smoke and 4/10 strength. Sweet cream and custard notes with a woodsy core. Enjoyed most of the first third but it then began to lose all redeeming qualities. Became unbalanced, burn went to ****, started tasting like a stale Marlboro Light! Never improved. I give it a 60/100 only because it met the definition of a cigar. Barely. Guess sent to Rob.

I was one of the guys who really enjoyed the first cigar. Looking forward to tonight's robusto.

Appearance- thin colorado wrapper with tears, lumps and holes. ugly.

Aroma at cold- non-descript, almost like a cheap NC 'natural'.

Draw- looser than i prefer but not uncomfortably so.

Initial puffs- woody flavour on the palate first2-3 puffs, bit of harshness through the nose, not really spice, just "smokey". medium bodied at most.

1st third - soapy, chemical, cigarette tobacco.

2nd third- N/A

3rd- N/A

Score- N/A

Overall- I pitched this after the first third, I normally do not do this as I know cuban cigars can have magic turnarounds, but this had no chance of revival ala kevin rudds prime ministerial chances.

Easily the worst cigar I have ever smoked :P

Hard to guess this dog rocket but gave it a go.

Wow, I am surprised at the above reviews as I enjoyed this cigar. I usually don't smoke "robustos" so I figured this would be the most difficult for me.

I smoked this with my moring coffee while sitting in the Peppermint Hippo and watching oil climb to $112/bbl.

1st 1/3: Smooth with nice amounts of smoke

2nd 1/3: Creamy but starting to spicen up

3rd 1/3: Mostly spice, starting to tail off, and get a little bitter.

All in all I enjoyed this cigar but too short. I'd rather reach for a more complex smaller ring gage cigars, a la des dieux or a more in depth cigar a la Sir Winston.

I gotta ask, what is the Peppermint Hippo? It sounds like you're smoking at a stripclub :lol3: Is it like the Spearmint Rhino in London?

Anyway I'm glad someone got to enjoy this cigar!

Blind tasting cigar No. 2

Sat. 8th of April 2011

Calvisson, France

Taster, laficion (Guy)

Paired with Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Years old, "Lot B"

Vitola- Robusto

Prelight, wonderful looking cigars, shiny colorado wrapper with a very distinctive smell at cold.

post-3705-1302289946.jpg

1st Third- Great draw with a fine grassy start, very leathery taste and a touch of saltyness.

post-3705-1302289995.jpg

2Third- It had a great overall thick taste of roasted tobacco, with dark tea and hints of dark coffee with a leathery background.

post-3705-1302290059.jpg

Final Third- Well, you got me good Rob, Notes of some expresso and leather mixed with floral accents, this cigar was not overly impressive, medium strength.

post-3705-1302290122.jpg

Call-PM'ed Rob.

I gotta ask, what is the Peppermint Hippo? It sounds like you're smoking at a stripclub :) Is it like the Spearmint Rhino in London?

Anyway I'm glad someone got to enjoy this cigar!

LOL

Its better than the Spearment Rhino :D. No cover, an always open, self-serve humidor, and plenty of Scotch and Wine.

The Peppermint Hippo came about as a name my Las Vegas boys dubbed a garage in my friends house that we use to HERF at several days a week.

We were HERFING so much we almost rented an apt together to HERF, play Chinese Poker, tell lies, split up group buys, bust balls and solve other worldly issues.

When I moved to So. Cal I just carried the name when I set up my patio. Actually is the PH-West

Its always open for FOH members and all are welcomed.

Hard to guess this dog rocket but gave it a go.

Well, I could just about make a guess blind from Dicko's comment!

Tonight, it is on...mystery cigar #2. Construction is fine. Wrapper is fine. Draw, spot on. I apparently got a good sample! Prelight is tasty tobacco. Opens with some strength and spice, then immediately settles to medium body with leather, coffee, and a touch of cream & earth. I could make a stab at this already, but now I am thinking there are 2 possible contenders. I would guess this is a young sample, as the flavors remain, but a bit of harshness rears its head in the second third, then it settles back a bit. The last third follows suit, with some grassy hints here and there and a bit of youth, but the core flavors still exist with some strong leather and earth. Overall an 88. With some time, this could hit 90.

LOL

Its better than the Spearment Rhino :D. No cover, an always open, self-serve humidor, and plenty of Scotch and Wine.

The Peppermint Hippo came about as a name my Las Vegas boys dubbed a garage in my friends house that we use to HERF at several days a week.

We were HERFING so much we almost rented an apt together to HERF, play Chinese Poker, tell lies, split up group buys, bust balls and solve other worldly issues.

When I moved to So. Cal I just carried the name when I set up my patio. Actually is the PH-West

Its always open for FOH members and all are welcomed.

That sounds amazing!!

Firm construction. Robusto-like draw, open but not too open.

White pepper, nutty tobacco, toffee, sweet hay, coffee, cocoa, ginger, creaminess, toasted tobacco.

Very young cigar and LOTS OF nicotine. Should be aged before smoking. This could be my choice if I was going to buy robustos.

PRE-LIGHT:

Heavy cigar, looks very densely packed. Wrapper is a nice color, some oils evident.

Used my xikar punch cutter but the draw feels too tight. Guillotined and it is still pretty firm.

Mild aroma, slightly sweet, floral notes. The shape's thrown me off.

Initial thoughts aren't great. First cm is soapy and the smoke is thin. There's a slightly sweet/salty undertone but I'm not really picking it up.

I smoked an NC Dunhill petit corona the other day, these initial tastes remind me of that.

End of first third:

Very white ash but I've had to relight twice, draw is very solid. That soapy flavor still lurking around. Slightly cocoa and floral notes underneath.

Got the missus to try it, I said "Try it and tell me exactly what you think"

Her answer "If I said it tastes like old shoes would I be wrong?" !LOL!

End of second third:

Still tastes very young, metallic and soapy. But the cocoa note has come through a splash more with a little bit of cream notes.

Lots of nicotine here too!

End of final third:

I didn't really enjoy this cigar. Very young and that soapy flavor just wouldn't budge.

It has a layer of potential underneath and I don't know what it would take to bring that out, maybe ageing.

It was a bit strong for my taste.

Ok on to the review of mystery cigar #2.

Construction- Nice weight in the hand. Nice bunch at the foot. Wrapper is a nice colorado but real rustic, not alot of oil coming through.

Pre draw- Pre draw the draw itself is spot on, just the right amount of pull. The tase I keep getting is real metallic and very vegetal which makes me think this is a real young cigar, very tannic. I'm thinking this puppy is going to be packing some Nicotine punch once she is lit. Smell at the foot yields fresh tobacco along with that tannic smell on the top, not bad but it makes me a little leary as to where the flavors may be headed, only one way to find out.

1/3rd- Blast of spice right away, I've tasted this before and right away I have two guesses of which it could be. I'm getting nice fresh tobacco, pepper, nice finish but there is a def nic kick which rounds out the full flavor of this cigar. A little creaminess on the finish. Volumes of smoke. Trhough the nose I get a nice spiciness. I like this and that's why I figure I have some in the humidor. Burn is spot on even in the 30mph winds were having here. I also notice as I look at the wrapper more in the light I can see a furrines on it.

2/3rd- Into the middle third, the ash is still hanging on, nice dark grey color. I get none of the soapy flavor other people have tasted. I think it's a young cigar because the nicotine kick is pretty prevalent, but I'm loving it. Ash jist fell off. Even if this is one of the two cigars I think it is it is one of the stronger one's I've ever sampled. The flavor and finish has thinned a little. Pretty much fine tobacco now with that nicotine on top. Not much complexity. Through the nose very spicy. Med bodied this cigar is not. The spice is definitely capsicum in nature, to me anyway.

last 3rd- Still full flavored. Rich tobacco, spice, leather, some hits through the nose are eye watering. Very tannic, nicotine is still prevalent but I like strong cigars, it would be nice if there was a little more of first 1/3 throughout but obviously it's young and tannic and that is taking over. I don't think it's nearly as bad as the other reviewers but to each their own I guess. Nicotine buzz if def kicking in. Very one dimensional now, pretty much all tobacco, spice and nicotine. Just got a little bit of bitter chocolate. The ash show little blotches of oil, I always like to see this I just think it's cool.

Overall- This was a strong robusto. The opening third had the most development of flavor whereas the middle and last third went more one dimensional while the nicotine picked up. I think this robusto has great ageing potential. Right now I'd give it a 87/100. Guess sent to Rob, I have a feeling it's one of two and if it's the third I'm poss thinking I'll be blow away as none of the typical flavors ever came through.

reviewof mystery cigar #2

Construction solid maybe a little light

Wrapper Veiny not the prettiest of wrappers

Good color

Aroma cold is kind of metallic

Pre - light draw seems kind of tight

Initial third

Seems very creamy to start I was kind of expecting more spice and pepper from the aroma before I lit it but not spicy at all. I get a sweet caramel flavor thru the nose and just creamy with a little bit of earth on the palate.

The draw is good and the burn is excellent. Lots of smoke and a firm almost white ash.

Second third the flavors become a little muted still there just didn't build as you would expect. No real change in flavors just less of them. Burn and draw are still solid.

Final the flavors picked up again the creaminess has left it has turned more earthy this may sound weird but I swear there is a little bit of a meaty taste on the palate like a ham or salami maybe t he roller had lunch while rolling this cigar not sure. OVer all I good cigar I would probably rate it a little higher than the cigar # 1 jsut due to better draw and burn. I give it a solid 87 but think a couple of years may do it some good. Stab in the dark will be pm's to rob

I thought the robusto would be my downfall because I rarely smoke one, then Rob goes and picks a PC I've never tried...all that cream should have made a bigger impression on me.

Mystery cigar #2

Strange thing about construction, my cigar is 52 ring gauge.

Cold aroma is light barnyard and cold draw is malted tobacco.

Starts off with light creamy coffee then gets a little sharp and bitter.

Into the second third it goes cardboard and I've had enough.

Worst cigar I've smoke in 10 years.

Mystery Robusto

Smoked 4/12 in the man cave accompanied by an IPA called Sneaky Pete.

Pre-cut:

This is a veiny cigar with a rough exterior. Wrapper is medium brown. Cigar is slightly box pressed. The cap is sloppy. The foot is cut on a noticeable angle. Color of filler looking at the foot is two-tone with blond mixed with brown. The feel is slightly spongy. Aroma is of bight tobacco. Wrapper is slightly split near head and foot. The cigar looks like it was made by someone who didn't care how it looks. Surprised it got by QC.

Pre-light:

Draw seems too loose. Taste at cold is nondescript. Wrapper wants to unwrap from the head as a result of the split noted above.

First 1/3:

Lights evenly. Smoke is mild to medium in body. Finish is a bit harsh on the palate. Mild through the nose. Nothing distinctive flavor-wise Neither pleasant nor unpleasant. Mild, smoke-flavored air. Excellent volume of smoke. I have an idea what this one is. Burn is even. Ash is solid, light gray. Can't distinguish any specific flavors, other than, perhaps, a touch of citrus. Body picks up to just short of medium intensity. Kinciked off the ash -- it didn't drop easily.

Second 1/3:

Definitely medium bodied at this point. Toasted tobacco dominates with some spiciness and pepper. Vaguely floral. Pleasant. Full smoke in mouth and through the nose. I no longer think I know what it is. So different this third from insipid first third. Good cigar.

Final 1/3:

Distinctive spiciness. Tasty! Picks up gradually to full side of medium in body. Beans?

Overall:

From the beginning of the second third, this was an enjoyable cigar. I never tasted soap or cardboard or anything else unpleasant. Cigar was complex, in the sense that it gained power to a significant degree. I suspect the real flavors are muted by youth and it will develop into a quite good cigar over time. I give it 86.

Guess to be PMed to El Prez.

Sweet honeyed barnyard on the nose, barnyard ammonia in the dry draw. Good looking shiny wrapper, light colorado. Easy draw, close to perfect.

First puff lightly peppery, rich sweet woodiness with a litle ammonia in the back of the throat. Grassiness at the half inch mark, increasingly herbacious and some fruity? notes.

Damn this is fun..I have no idea what I'm smoking! Forgot about tasting for a while there hehe, just enjoyed the smoke. Half way and it's nice and toasty, bellowing smoke with every draw. I guess I got a good one… Some leather creeping in. +Medium in body. Nothing much evolved after this except for the inevitable death throes of harsh leather taste with an inch left.

PM to be sent to Rob with my guess.

Opens with sweet and spicy tastes, Slightly grassy with honey sweetness. Medium body, spice tingles on the palate, pretty nice balance.

Spice settles towards the end of first third, lots of honey and milk chocolate. Medium still.

Cedar enters the mix in the second third. Body takes a dip to the lower end of medium, then back to solid medium with lots of wet grass. Nice sweet grassy tang in the end of second third.

Immense sweetness even on the aftertaste, like pouring honey on the tongue. Sweet and grassy to the end. A distinct freshness to the taste, possibly to the youngenss of the cigar to some extent, although the freshness is vibrant and not at all unpleasant.

I've narrowed it down to two possibilites, and I really struggled to get away from the initial expression and view it in an objective way, but failed. I'm probably wrong again, but I have nothing to go with but the taste, and this is what it did taste like to me.

Real fun excercise, we have a panel of three people smoking and reviewing these, with the first one we first narrowed the selection to only those that have no box press, and then continued to eliminate each one based on the precieved taste, the very first thing we all agreed on was that it's not Siglo II. Looking forward for this one to be revealed!

Mystery Cigar # 2

Well packed, although wrapper is rough to the point of being almost like fine sandpaper. Huge veins running the lenght of the cigar on all sides. The fact that Van said his was slightly box pressed has me scratching my head, as my sample wasn't even slightly pressed. It was round as could be. Aroma at cold is floral/sweet.

Clipped the head and the draw was perfect which I have found is rare nowdays with robustos (I don't smoke many, but I usually find them to be like drawing through a drinking straw). The cold draw is clean tobacco with a light tea flavor.

1/3 - Very nice opening of toasted tobacco, slightly creamy and maybe some cocoa on the finish. I get almost an old lady perfume aroma coming of the cigar, it's quite pungent. No spice through the nose, very enjoyable however. Just under medium in body.

2/3 - Picked up that soapy character that others have written about. Almost like a bar of Zest sprayed with the old lady perfume. Once that settles, the flavors are the same as 1/3 although quite muted. I got a little bored with it at this point and wanted to pitch it out into the yard but decided to journey onward.

3/3 - Little bitterness as I reach the end. The body has gone to medium now and there is a spicy tingle on the back of the throat. The cigar ends with a strong charcoal flavor (think of smoking a Kingsford briquet). I had to put it down.

Overall I was very interested in this one during the 1/3. If the whole cigar was like that it would be something quite good, however it quickly faded once the ash fell for the first time. I'm a little stumped as to what this could be, but I think I have it narrowed down to two cigars. PM sent to El Prez.