Blind Cigar Tasting Competition Thread: Cigar Number 2

Another suspiciously well constructed cigar... It was smooth and firm, and the burn was similarly excellent. If this wasn't a FOH blind tasting - I'd say non-Cuban.

First third - 8/10. Nice juicy Cuabn tobacco flavours with a bit of grassiness and touch of cream

Second & 3rd third - 4/10. Young, harsh, slight flavour towards the end. No discerning aromas.

Cigar with excellent potential

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little late with this review.

Mystery Cigar #2

Size: Robusto

Construction: Not too bad, well packed foot, no hard spots

Wrapper: God this is ugly! A few minor tears and holes.

Aroma Pre-Cut: Light tobacco, slight barnyard

Pre-Light Draw: Tight. Clipped a few more mm and it opened up.

1st 1/3: This is a damn young cigar. Smoke is thin with a strong metallic ammonia flavour. Doesn't bode well. Hint of grassiness when I can get past the ammonia. Burn is way off and the ash is a very dark grey.

2nd 1/3: No real improvement. Hints of black tea poke through from time to time.

Last 1/3: Still the same. Beginning to wonder if I got the stash of duds that Rob keeps around for Ken. The metallic ammonia flavour is getting stronger, though the burn has improved. The only redeeming feature this cigar has that it is over quickly.

Rating: Being a bit harsh here. 75/100.

PM sent to Rob.

Construction solid, kind of looks like a box pressed cigar. First half was lot metallic taste and light tobacco it tasted like Nicaraguan dunhill. Paired it with a laphroaig quarter cask, it didn't match too well. Put it down for a bit, continued later on. the second half was a bit better, i was getting a bit of spiciness and a tinge of citrus. From the 1st half i thought the cigar was a bit young. To be honest i havent got a clue what its is. Im guessing between a 2 marca that i kind of thought the cigar tasted like, haven't got a chance in hell of getting this. Score 82.

A wild guess sent to the pres.

Late review here, I thought I missed the PM deadline to the Prez, but I received a PM yesterday saying we had until Sunday, so maybe the deadline shifted. PM sent last night.

Construction: Looked box pressed on one side, also appeared slightly larger ring gauge than the robustos in my humi, and maybe 1 or 2mm longer, but there is no regular production stick that fits that size, so a robusto it is, w/in Habanos S.A. tolerances I guess. Two minor tan/bleached spots, but otherwise a nice looking wrapper. Well filled, but a bit soft at the foot.

Draw: Too open for my liking.

Good smoke volume, by way too open a draw, almost felt like I was hyperventilating. Mild side of medium w/ no discernable flavor on the open bedsides toasted tobacco. For some reason, the entire length of the cigar feels spongy now. Smoke is thicker by the end of the first third, strength up to medium now. Thought I tasted some chocolate and grilled sourdough, but only for a few puffs.

Good burn w/ a long ash. Middle third has a better draw, smoke much heavier on the palate. Flavor is predominately grassy/hay, and also a bit of a funk (think gym locker).

Last third turned bitter for a while, then settled back down to a medium grassy/hay.

Nothing here to make me want of box of these, but always willing to try more samples due to the vagaries of QC. I have an inkling of what it may be, but I will use all of my powers of the dark arts, prestidigitation, and ESPN to figure this out :rotfl:

Rick

Cigar #2

Construction: perfectly filled. Light Colorado wrapper

photo-6.jpg

Aroma at cold: barnyard tobacco

photo-7.jpg

1st medium toasted tobacco good draw. Started with spice

2nd sweetness with bitter chocolate, toasted nuts, medium to over medium

photo-9.jpg

3rd woodiness with black pepper kicking up a notch.....all the flavor is gone...just pepper and tons of smoke

photo-12.jpg

88/100.....I would smoke more...

What a crappy cigar! No wonder I don't smoke robustos. I have to add... if this is what '10 cigars are like I am not missing anything by not buying them!!!

Appearance wise my cigar was rather pleasant to look at. Mine was wrapped in light colorado hue with no box press and a bulbous cap. As always the cigar was a little mushy for me and light on the hand.

I am not gonna' write much about this cigar... it is no fun reviewing a **** cigar, furthermore there is not much point in it. The best part of the story involves another couple of bikers, ones that were at the table where I was I was seated while smoking this cigar. The wife of another biker says to me, "I can see that cigar is too loosely packed and poorly made from here!" How poignant, I thought to myself!

Actually I got better information about the cigar by reading the reviews of others.... I guess that makes me a cheater!

On a final note, H SA has got balls selling cigars like this one. If I were trying CC's for the first time, I would likely be blogging on CA's forum that CC's are **** and not what they are cracked up to be. Mine had to be relit so many times that I broke my lighter doing it. It tunneled so badly that I had to take my money clip out, a small pocket knife, and cut the ****** on the table that I was sitting, horrifying onlookers.

This cigar was redolent of a portable toilet! I can still taste the acrid foul aftertaste of this thing in my mouth. Perhpas if I take a drink from one of my horse troughs, it might make an improvement.

Gawd awful!!!! -Piggy

• 5 months later...

Blind tasting cigar No. 2

Sat. 8th of April 2011

Calvisson, France

Taster, laficion (Guy)

Paired with Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Years old, "Lot B"

Vitola- Robusto

Prelight, wonderful looking cigars, shiny colorado wrapper with a very distinctive smell at cold.

post-3705-1302289946.jpg

1st Third- Great draw with a fine grassy start, very leathery taste and a touch of saltyness.

post-3705-1302289995.jpg

2Third- It had a great overall thick taste of roasted tobacco, with dark tea and hints of dark coffee with a leathery background.

post-3705-1302290059.jpg

Final Third- Well, you got me good Rob, Notes of some expresso and leather mixed with floral accents, this cigar was not overly impressive, medium strength.

post-3705-1302290122.jpg

Call-PM'ed Rob.

NIce