Noob seeking Scotch recommendations

mdzotti

Hello to everyone,

I recently began drinking scotch and have come to like it a lot. I've had Glenlivet 12 and 18. 18 was excellent. Any recommendations from the more experienced scotch drinkers would be great. What's good out there in the $50 - $150 range??

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Mike,

I'm sure members will chime in - in the meantime, there are a few excellent threads here in the alcohol forum - enjoy ;)

(I'm a fan of the Macallan 18)

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check out those threads. Still trying to find my way around. I appreciate all the help I can get.

My personal favourite is Glendronach 18yr old. A fantastic Speyside scotch that is fully matured in Spanish sherry casks.

I also like the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. This replaced the wood finished range (sherry, port, madeira, and burgundy)

Ardbeg

Ardbeg

Ardbeg

Lagavulin

Ardbeg

Did I mention Ardbeg? ;)

Ardbeg? Never heard of them. :lol:

Sounds like you prefer the peaty Islay scotch. Try the JW Double Black. Had some at the Sydney Airport DF and it's got s lovely smooth smokey flavour.

My preferences are Highland Park, Macallan and Aberlour. I guess the years depends on your affordability. The Balvenie, Laphroaig, Glenrothes and Yamazaki are interesting.

Can somebody enlighten me how does "peat" taste like? I tried the Ardberg 10, i couldn't pick out the peat. All i got was the alcohol and smoky.

Can somebody enlighten me how does "peat" taste like? I tried the Ardberg 10, i couldn't pick out the peat. All i got was the alcohol and smoky.

Others with more experience would probably correct me here. Alot of people tend to interchange the descriptors peaty and smoky, but to me they are comparing wood-smoke with peat-smoke. A peaty flavour to me is earthy and vegetal. Try a Talisker and compare to an Ardbeg. For me, the Talisker is smoky with very little earthiness, whereas the Ardbeg is smoky but also dark and earthy.

I remember one friend telling me that peatiness can be compared to burnt moist earth. How the heck you get burnt moist earth is beyond me. :clap:

rob and i tried the 12 year old caol ila yesterday. an islay though less peaty than some. liked it.

otherwise, ardbeg, laiphroig, bowmore, mccallan, in no particular order, are faves.

I have to agree with Ken here. Caol Ila is a wonderful malt.

I am a huge Islay fan (could hardly tell!) - Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Bruichladdich are all my favorites - Ardbeg above all else.

Also enjoy Highland Park, Glenrothes, and An Cnoc - that last one is very underrated

I have to agree with Ken here. Caol Ila is a wonderful malt.

I am a huge Islay fan (could hardly tell!) - Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Bruichladdich are all my favorites - Ardbeg above all else.

Also enjoy Highland Park, Glenrothes, and An Cnoc - that last one is very underrated

we are very much on the same lines. ardbeg a star. only one of yours i'm a touch less enthused about is the bruichladdich and i've not tried an cnoc. will keep an eye out. any others, keep me posted.

I am a HUGE Islay Fan. If you love the peaty taste in your single malt Scotch you cannot go wrong with Arbeg Uigeadail, Arbeg 10 year old, Lagavulin 16 and 12 year old. If you prefer a more sherry finish in your single malt I would highly recommend the Highland park 18 year old.

Hello to everyone,

I recently began drinking scotch and have come to like it a lot. I've had Glenlivet 12 and 18. 18 was excellent. Any recommendations from the more experienced scotch drinkers would be great. What's good out there in the $50 - $150 range??

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Hi,

Has anyone mentioned a recent Talisker 25 year old?

I bought a bottle for New Year's Eve. It was very good. I think it is slightly out of your price range, but I managed to get a bottle from my local discount store for less than a hundred bucks. Actually, I should say it was better than "very good." It has a smoothness that allows you to really savour each sip.

The other one it think worth mentioning is an unaged single malt. I believe Aberlour is not aged (might be wrong about that), but it is really good.

Also, I noticed in a few answers people recommended scotches finished in sherry casks, or similar. I think it is a good idea to try these, but I wanted to say that they aren't to my liking. I prefer the earthy, peat, smoky varieties. The scotches like the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban are great, and I wouldn't turn down a glass on any occasion, but I've stopped buying these, because I find them a little too sweet and a bit removed from what I consider traditional scotch.

(To be clear, I'm no expert, so when I say "traditional" I mean more "what I grew up drinking.")

Hope this is some help.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Currently on the shelf in the world of Scotches I have:

Laphroaig 10, 15, and 18

Glenfarclas 12

Highland Park 12

Dalmore 15

seems like I am forgetting something.

I used to work for a large wine and spirits chain in Texas and slang a lot of high end scotch to pay the rent. Personally, I think sherry finished scotches play really nice with cigars. This is not to say there are no other scotches that do as well, but it seems to be hard to go wrong with the sherried stuff. I'd have to add another vote along with the other people the recommended them.

If you are new to it and looking to move on from Glenlivet, I'd give Highland Park 12 a try. It is probably the most well rounded Scotch around. I always used to tell people if you are going to like Scotch at all you will like HP 12. It's very good and not terribly pricey. From there, you can isolate what you favorite flavors in HP are and find other Scotches that do more of that.

And certainly not trying to be a know it all; I just miss Scotch talk sometimes. 'm doing a Ph.D. nowadays, and booze doesn't come up much, haha. Everyone's picks here had me drooling and thinking I seriously need to invest in a couple more bottles :-D

Personally,I love most of the Islay Malts.

Bruichladdich being a favourite,as it isn't too peaty.

As a sacrilidgeous aside,there is also an Islay blend available,called Black Bottle....which is a very good whisky....siungle malts aren't all there is to whisky.