FOH Blind Tasting?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously Rob this is your game but having done this before I would like to reiterate some suggestions.

1) No hint of cigars, the test should be double blind.

2) This should not be "who knows his robustos" where 3 cigar are all the same. Since I don't smoke or like most robustos I would likely not want cigars that I don't smoke. The same holds for my favorites like PC's or any one vitola.

So I think the fun would be in overall skill and test of the myth of brand characteristics. I think the test would be better with 4 cigars. Cigar 1 would be a large ring, large cigar. There are still a few Churchills in the catalogue so a Churchill, DC or Robusto would be cigar 1. I would prefer the Churchill.

Cigar 2 would be a Piramides or Belicoscos. I would prefer a Belicosos.

Cigar 3 would be a PC or Coronas

Cigar 4 would be a sub-PC

In this way there is a balance and most of the catalogue is spoken for. Picking three out of one vitola is biased towards those who have a favorite. I might do well with PC's but poorly on Robustos and Piramides while others would have their preference.

Anyway my friend it is just a thought... a means to give everyone something that he or she has as a preference for without stacking the deck for a one vitola wonderkind! I think any year out of the last 10 is fair. The requirement to win does not necessitate a correct vintage but it will be fun to throw in vintage voluntarily as a guess just to see what people write and think. I think you should spread them out.

If the test is just one vitola there will likely be a few who get it right, the catalogue is only so big and the odds are not impossible even if you guess. If the test is multi-vitola my guess is that no one gets it right, including me!

Cheers mate! -R

FOH Global Blind Tasting Competition

All registrations to be in by February the 3rd[/]

Cigars sent by Feb 12. I will select cigars form same code and aroma/wrapper appearance.

Cigars selected will each be oa a different Vitola. I will provide you with the vitola (it will help Ken).

Cigars selected will be in current production.

They will be the only hints given.

First cigar smoked by 31 March with you PM'ing or e-mailing me your answer. Iwill post up a spreadsheet.

Second cigar smoked by 12th April with you PM'ing or e-mailing me your answer. Iwill post up a spreadsheet.

Third cigar smoked by 30th Aprilwith you PM'ing or e-mailing me your answer. IIwill post up a spreadsheet.

To the winner (who can correctly select cigars sent) $500 USD/AUD prize . In the event of a tie, prize is split.

Entry Cost $40 USD $65 AUD (cigars and freight).

If this is successful we will run a second comp mid year and another at the end. Let's find out who are the palate geniuses :unsure:

Enjoy

Registrations close in 2 days! Register on this thread (preferably) or by contacting Lisa direct.