Do you "retrohale"?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think "Doc" explains it well in this video.

It is like adding wasabi to cigar sushi! I don't always do it but usually several times a cigar at a minumum. It is an acquired taste. -Piggy

Yes, we've had a couple of discussions on the topic. I do it occasionally, but I get little or no benefit. I've always smelled things while inhaling through my nose, not exhaling

Again, retrohaling is a big deal for me. You can experience so much more flavor than your taste buds.

Ever try eating while you had a stuffed up nose while you were sick?

Try pinching your nose while you eat and compare it to slowly exhaling through your nose while you chew. Is there a difference?

Having answered that question, the only question that needs to be answered is if you can do it while smoking your cigar.

Yes, how much and how often depend on the strength of the cigar.

I can pick up very subtle flavors this way, but if it's too strong it just burns.

As to how to do it. Once your mouth is full of smoke gently exhale through your nose while pushing your tongue towards the roof of your mouth. This will push some smoke into your nasal cavity and your exhale will carry it out your nose.

Kind of works like soda spraying out your nose while laughing hopefully without the burn!

Wow. I'm really surprised that so many here don't do this. I can't imagine smoking a cigar without retrohaling. I get so much more flavor when I exhale through my nose. I think I'd miss so many of the nuances of many of cigars if I just kept all the smoke in my mouth.

YES!!!

I've started doing it without even realizing it and now it's becoming a habit. I'd rather not be doing it, though, so I'm gonna try to consciously make sure I don't from now on.

Agreed. Must say that I "Retrohale" with most cigars, also agree that it more often shows spiciness in the cigar (if any) but can sometimes pick out other flavours I might not have noticed otherwise.

I also agree I can pick up flavours that would normaly be distant.

I can't retrohale to save my life. I've tried and tried and tried with no luck.

Cool topic to resurrect! When I first read about it I found a tip suggesting to swallow a bit of the smoke, which worked for me.

I'll do what we used to call a "french inhale" whereby the smoke resting in the mouth in sniffed into the nose (not through any internal cavities)

"French inhale" interesting, had to look it up, pretty cool...especially when two women do it together!

For me its the only way I can taste all of the flavors the cigar has to offer. but I just don't take a pull from the cigar and push it through my nose. Its kind of hard to explain, I open up my nasal cavity to allow the smoke to come through my nose while tasting the smoke on my palate through my mouth. For me that's the only way I get to taste the cigar, I also noticed that some flavors just don't get recognized for me unless I put the smoke through my nose.

This is probably closest to what I've found works best for me. I like to pull some smoke into my nose off the tip of the cigar while taking a draw into the mouth on almost every draw, gives me the most flavor.

I do retro hale with most puffs. Couldn't imagine without as it usually enhances with flavor and enjoyment. Does depend on the cigar though as some don't need nearly as much. Dbone thank you for the way you described it here as this is how I have always smoked but never been able to tell others in to words. :P

I can't retrohale to save my life. I've tried and tried and tried with no luck.

Blow out most of the smokes through the mouth, and when little smoke is left in the mouth, close the mouth and breath out through the nose (like when you are breathing out in water).

You won't have to consciously push the smoke up. When you close the mouth, and breath out, the smoke will get squeezed out of the mouth.

I do it every time I smoke a cigar and seems to have come naturally for me as well. I can't imagine not doing it as it does enhance the cigar smoking experience for me.

Same for me

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

I do retrohale. But last night I caught myself retrohaling after the smoke was gone, trying to keep the finish going. Been doing it for a while I guess just never thought about it. Kind of breathing in through the nose and well retrohaling it back out. It works, always pulling out a few flavours I had missed..... just saying.

I prefer to smell the smoke as I exhale it rather than via retrohale. I do RH sometimes, but it's harsher, and I feel that some of the more sublte flavors can be lost.

I think that's why I prefer to smoke indoors or in mild weather, while sitting down. I like the smell of the smoke off the foot and after an exhale, and if there's too much interferance, I feel like I'm missing a lot of the flavor.

Like many have said before me, once every 2-3 puffs. Sometimes I pick up something, sometimes I don't.