younger cigar smokers?

Hey FOH How's everyone?

Im 21 years old and im just starting out smoking cigars, and i love them. I am developing a real passion for them.

Im posting this because i want to ask is there a lot of under 25's smoking cigars? When i tell people i have started smoking cigars they say, "cigars are for old men" of course this does not bother me because they would usually rather suck down a chemical ridden cigarette. So their opinion doesn't really matter :rolleyes:

Anyway it would be great to hear from both younger and older cigar smokers and to get their take on this.

Thanks.

Hey FOH How's everyone?

Im 21 years old and im just starting out smoking cigars, and i love them. I am developing a real passion for them.

Im posting this because i want to ask is there a lot of under 25's smoking cigars? When i tell people i have started smoking cigars they say, "cigars are for old men" of course this does not bother me because they would usually rather suck down a chemical ridden cigarette. So their opinion doesn't really matter :P

Anyway it would be great to hear from both younger and older cigar smokers and to get their take on this.

Thanks.

I am quite a few decades older than you cousin. But I can tell you from experience that it is a great benefit to start at a younger age. You will develope your palate and if you are interested in hoarding (not collecting :rolleyes: ) that can be of great benefit to you as well.

Enjoy yourself.

19!! I want to say I get the award for youngest FOH member lol. i've been into cigars since I was 16-17. My dad smokes cigars on occasion and that is where my curiosity sparked. Just bought my first box of Cubans last week from the Czar. I thought Monte 4's would be a good first box purchase and not bad on the wallet. Its great to have younger people on the forum in case any of the older folks need help learning how to text or something :rolleyes: I got a lot of my buddies into smoking cigars as well. good to see you on the forum!

Like KB24, I started buying boxes young--at about 23-24. Saved over time to be able to purchase an M Plus THC at 25. The vast majority of my friends do not smoke cigars but will, on occasion. Though none of my friends (at least, the ones I have not made from smoking cigars) are nearly as obsessive with this hobby as I am...I have no problem admitting that much.

I do consider myself privileged to have gotten into cigars on the earlier side of the spectrum--I have a lifetime of learning and smoking to do. I have also made many close friends in my area through cigar smoking which I think I am lucky to have also.

I am 35, young in my my mind :rolleyes:

Been smoking a year and enjoy it. 95% of the people I have met that smoke cigars are older than me. I am glad I didn't start earlier, I spent my money on other things. Spend my money on cigars now when I can and enjoy it.

Welcome to the club

Bart

I began when I was 32.A late bloomer I guess.(to cigars anyway) Before that I was a cigarette guy from the age of 15.But even at 32 I remember my wife commenting on how I looked like an old man while smoking a cigar! And I had all my hair then too! :P

BTW, I'm glad to see you younger guys seriously into fine cigars. I've met a bunch of "kids" who smoke at partys and such but don't really appreciate all that this hobby/lifestyle has to offer. Enjoy the ride! (and get a good paying job,you'll need it!) :rolleyes:

Started getting serious with Cubans when I was 24. Had been smoking numerous cheap cigars for years before that.

When I started, nobody was surprised at all. Hadn't been a cigarette smoker, but it was expected that I would try cigars.

Don't worry about what they say. If you think it's bad with cigars, try telling them that you smoke a pipe as well and see how that one is received.

It's interesting how the enjoyment of tobacco is perceived. If your young and smoke cigarettes,your hip. If your old and smoke cigarettes, your stupid. If your young and smoke a pipe, your pretencious. If your old and smoke a pipe your intelligent. If your young and smoke cigars,your old. If your old and smoke cigars, You Rule! :peace:

I'm in my early 30's now but I started when I was in my early 20's and started buying full boxes when I was 25. If you really get into this you need a good job to be able to afford what is to come.

I work with a lot of guys (both younger and older) and they all want to try cigars when they are around but no one really actually smokes. Most guys don't realize that cigars are not necessarily suited for the party atmosphere but better suited for a few friends and a few drinks (IMHO). I see so many young guys going for somthing too big right off the hop and they can't tough it. If you want to get younger guys into cigars, try starting them off with Petit Corona's (or even minutos / perlas) and see what grabs them.

Never too young (well maybe) or too old to enjoy, but enjoy everything in moderation!

G

Well, I am 23 and I have been smoking cigars since 17, when one of my close friends brought me back a monte A and a Cohiba piramides EL 2001 from the LCDH Vancouver. I have been hooked ever since. I love them, but I agree there are not too many cigar smokers our age, I have one friend who smokes consistantly. However, being young is great because it's nice to walk into a store and have the shop owner be surprised with what you know, I once had a shop owner offer me a job, however I was on vacation and couldn't take it. Another good thing about our age is college. Liberal Arts college is great, where you can write term papers about the industry, or about the cultural history around the product (which is a blast). And don't ever let anyone convince you that smoking cigars is for old men, you don't have to be old to enjoy friends or relaxation.

Had my first stogie when I was17 (a macanudo if I recall correctly). Always liked what cigars had to offer and would always take when given, but it took 20 years and quitting cigarettes for me to really get into it. Enjoy your headstart into the world's greatest hobby. So much to learn and so many to taste.

I got my sons smoking cigars with me when they were teenagers and they still enjoy them. In fact they are the envy of their friends, when they go out I will slip them a few to enjoy and perhaps share with a close friend.

I have also made it my personal mission to try to introduce young women to cigars. I find that they are often very appreciative of my efforts :2thumbs:

I'm tempted to post some pics but the evidence might be too damning :devil2:

I got my sons smoking cigars with me when they were teenagers and they still enjoy them. In fact they are the envy of their friends, when they go out I will slip them a few to enjoy and perhaps share with a close friend.

I have also made it my personal mission to try to introduce young women to cigars. I find that they are often very appreciative of my efforts :2thumbs:

I'm tempted to post some pics but the evidence might be too damning :devil2:

Damning with this crew? I don't think so.

Live and let live, right?

Now about those pics...

I'm envious of your age and the possibilities that your cigar predeliction might ensue. I went to Cuba for the first time in 1996 for the sole purpose of scuba diving around the island, but quickly became immersed in the culture, music, rum and cigars.

I was 48 at that time. I'd have loved to have been 25.

I'm 23 now, started smoking cigars at 20. I'm kinda glad I start early because when I'm 30/40 I'll have a fair amount of knowledge, a huge collection of properly aged cigars and most importantly I'll have smoke some great cigar that have been taken out of production (can you imagine living in a world without having tried the Partagas Serie Du Connoisseur line?)

I often get stares when I light up a cigar or walk into a shop (most recently in Paris where the owner told a customer/employee that I was probably bluffing about liking cigars) And sometimes my family doesn't really approve, but my parents got pretty supportive after they realized this was a hobby that would stick!

The only problem about smoking cigars at a young age is that cigars don't really fit a students budget, on the other side from age 15 to 19 I bought computer games all the time and two games is about the same amount of an average box of robustos or anything smaller and for the price of a console you have a humidor, so basically my spendings just shifted :2thumbs:

I am 27 and I have been smoking since 24, I had my first cigar when I was 16 and bought a few boxes, but never smoked a bunch then. After working at a cigar store in the states, I am hooked. I buy too many boxes, but I am just getting into cubans. I just put my first order in the czar.

It is so pleasing for me as a 44 year old to see the enthusiasm of the next generation coming through. The culture of cigars of bringing folks together seems to be gaining in strength in both numbers and in the thirst for knowledge of our hobby.

More strength to you guys. I hope I can help with passing on what little knowledge I have. And of course FoH is the place purpose built for this :-)

Good thread. I too feel like I'm the minority with people in this hobby. Most people at my cigar lounge are well over my age. But I like that, I really learned a ton from the guys at the lounge and from the people on the forum. I bought my first hand rolled cigar on my 21st birthday down in the French Quarter in New Orleans. I really enjoyed it while walking around the city. After that, I was interested in trying other cigars and searching what is all out there. I started buying a couple here and there just to smoke on the weekends. Now, I'm 23, have two humidors full of cigars, go to a tasting each month at my B&M, and now I am embarking into the world of habanos. I never thought this journey would take me this far. :P

I'm 22, been smoking cigars for 1-2 years. While I generally don't find other people in my age group see it as an old man's hobby, there seem to be very few of them who really show any interest. Its very rare that I find someone in my social life to chat cigars with and if I do, they generally havn't tried passed the standard supermarket brands. Luckily I get plently of people at the shop to get it out of my system!

Also, MrGlass: I smoke a pipe too, so know where you're coming from. But I do have dreadlocks and vaguely resemble Bob Marley, so a lot of the time people assume theres something other than tobacco in my pipe...