Do you have a bogey cigar?

Hello,

Some posts I've seen recently and in the past have me thnking about this topic. Is there a cigar that everyone but you seems to enjoy? Maybe you have always got bad examples, maybe you have had good examples but just don't 'get' the flavour profile?

For me its the vegas robaina famosas, tried a handful from different places etc and just don't seem to like them. Other people rave about them.

Not putting words in his mouth but Colt in the review section today said he had mixed experiences with the PDS4, a very popular cigar.

Also as a general comment about the marque (and probably not justified as I haven't tried that many different vitolas), but Montecristo don't seem to do it for me. I've had excellent constructed and objectively flavoursome sticks but the flavour profile just might not be for me. I was suprised when some of the guys in one of Bart's reviews said that Bolivar didn't do it for them.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Which cigars have you scratching your head saying "I don't get this" or "what are these people on about" ???

Enjoy your smokes, of whatever persuasion.

Cheers,

Dicko.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same way about a lot of cigars. The biggest of the cc would have to be the PSD4. I don't get the hype. But I must say that normally the first half leaves me awestruck and after that it kind of fizzles out. The NC on the other hand I just don't get it. I try to pick sticks up when I go to the states and it seems hit or miss with all the new releases. I don't get the big deal with Rocky cigars. They're not bad but nothing to rave about but I hate to tell anyone what I think about them because it appears to me that I'm the onlyone who doesn't get it.

Great topic Dicko! :wacko:

For me, I too have to agree with the Monte Edmundo, The VR Famosos (I love VR's otherwise) as well as the SLR Regios. Many love the Regios, but for me, it completely turned me off the entire Marca. I was gifted 5 sticks of 1980's stock about a year ago and I tried 2 of them but they were that repulsive, I threw them midway through. Was it just me? :huh:

Martin - Try the Padron Londres Maduro. It'll knock your socks off, and can be had for $2.50/stick.

Every now and then I get a cracker PSD4, which makes me love them. The rest of the time I don't really care for them, I'd rather smoke something else.

A cigar really needs to be stored correctly to bring out its potential, and I've found that CCs can go through phases in their development. I have a box of CoRos from Feb '10 that were outstanding in June, rich caramel and vanilla, but then fell flat in July. The aroma vanished, flavor vanished, so I put them to bed. The biggest "tell" for me with a cigar is the aroma. If it's strong, the cigar will likely be a good one to smoke right then. Long story short, make sure you are smoking them at a good time in their development.

Great topic Dicko! :wacko:

For me, I too have to agree with the Monte Edmundo, The VR Famosos (I love VR's otherwise) as well as the SLR Regios. Many love the Regios, but for me, it completely turned me off the entire Marca. I was gifted 5 sticks of 1980's stock about a year ago and I tried 2 of them but they were that repulsive, I threw them midway through. Was it just me? :huh:

thanks mate! I didn't mind the SLR regios, to try, but wasn't that impressive for me. Another one that gets me is the El rey del mundo choix supreme, fruity and toasty but just doesn't do it for me, a bit like the regios to my taste.

'investandprosper' I will second your recommendation of the padron maduro londres, better than their larger 1000's series imho. I agree 100% the PDS4 can be hit and miss but the hits are amazing! :huh:

I would have to say mine would be RASCC and RASS

Only ever had 1 RASS which I found was amazing, every other since has fallen flat. RASCC on the other hand have done nothing for me, Ive had fresh ones, well aged ones and still. Ive kinda given up on both.

I do like RA's though RAG's and a bunch of RE's have been great. Kinda weird

I would have to say mine would be RASCC and RASS

Only ever had 1 RASS which I found was amazing, every other since has fallen flat. RASCC on the other hand have done nothing for me, Ive had fresh ones, well aged ones and still. Ive kinda given up on both.

I do like RA's though RAG's and a bunch of RE's have been great. Kinda weird

Same here, except I didn't much care for the RAG, either.

The Padron 1964 Anniversary - I've given it chance after chance due to its stunning reviews - and it's just never done jack for me :wacko:

Ditto on the RASS. Flavour profile is not there for me in spite of it being a widely heralded cigar. But, I don't smoke cigars because of it's reputation. I may buy them because of it, but doesn't take me long to realize that I like them or I don't.

The same for me, RASS has never hit me as a good cigar, but I love the RASCC and RAG. I have one more RASS in my humidor that I hope will turn my views around as most people seem to love them (above company excluded apparently :D)

Also Mag 46 has impressed me only once, the other times it has been extremely harsh.

I'm a PSD4 lover though :P

Awesome topic choice, Dicko.

I'd have to say Guantanamera - I don't get why everyone loves these. :lol:;)

On a more serious note, for me it's the Partagas Shorts, and the Partagas Deluxe tubos especially. I just can't even finish one of either of these. I've had a number now of both over the years. The Shorts are okay, but they're just "ho hum" to me - I wish I did like them more, though. The the Deluxe tubos I just find repulsive.

Hello,

Some posts I've seen recently and in the past have me thnking about this topic. Is there a cigar that everyone but you seems to enjoy? Maybe you have always got bad examples, maybe you have had good examples but just don't 'get' the flavour profile?

For me its the vegas robaina famosas, tried a handful from different places etc and just don't seem to like them. Other people rave about them.

Not putting words in his mouth but Colt in the review section today said he had mixed experiences with the PDS4, a very popular cigar.

Also as a general comment about the marque (and probably not justified as I haven't tried that many different vitolas), but Montecristo don't seem to do it for me. I've had excellent constructed and objectively flavoursome sticks but the flavour profile just might not be for me. I was suprised when some of the guys in one of Bart's reviews said that Bolivar didn't do it for them.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Which cigars have you scratching your head saying "I don't get this" or "what are these people on about" ???

Enjoy your smokes, of whatever persuasion.

Cheers,

Dicko.

RASS for me. I just dont get the hype but like you said, different strokes

Juan Lopez. I haven´t had one cigar from this marca that was really good. Mostly they have been repulsive, flowery crap and I´ve sold off the boxes and cabs I once bought. The Obus was no better, btw. Better other people who enjoy them get to smoke them.

H.Upmann Magnum 46

I don't hate it. I just don't seem to get the same Nirvana-esque experience as some seem to get from these. I keep trying, but Mag 46's still come off for me like a high-end Dominican... docile and well behaved with no particularly bad traits, but lacking distinctive flavor... billed as Med-Full, but seeming more in the Light or Light-Med range.

These are what I break out when friends visit who are normally DR smokers. They rave. I smile and nod... and think ahead to my next Partagas or Bolivar.

Hi Dicko

Great topic and interesting comments so far.

I have just finished a RASCC, which has been my regular go to smoke for the last year. Great flavour profile for such a small viotola

The one cigar that doesn't resonate with my flavour profile is the El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme - the floral undertones just don't do it for me!!

As with all the finer things in life (women, wine, art & cigars) it is subjective.

Diversity is what makes the world go round - hence why I enjoy cigars and being part of FOH

Happy smoking

Joker :lol:

The Padron 1964 Anniversary - I've given it chance after chance due to its stunning reviews - and it's just never done jack for me :lol:

I agree 100%! I've given them so many chances along with Opus X, Oliva V Serie and absolutely nothing!