Do you have a bogey cigar?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the opportunity to try many cigars from different boxes and different years. One of the perks !LOL!

I have generally been disappointed by every cigar made at one time or another only to be brought around by a stunning smoking experience.

There are some exceptions (Personal).

Partagas Presidente. I have never had one that is beyond "good". have had plenty that are "Average" at best.

Cuaba Tradicionles. blech.

Cuaba Generosos have had some very good ones but for all the ones from different years, overall....Blech.

Monte Open (any) I am still waiting for a "very good" or "great" experience.

I get the opportunity to try many cigars from different boxes and different years. One of the perks !LOL!

I have generally been disappointed by every cigar made at one time or another only to be brought around by a stunning smoking experience.

Partagas Presidente. I have never had one that is beyond "good". have had plenty that are "Average" at best.

Cuaba Generosos have had some very good ones but for all the ones from different years, overall....Blech.

I take it that the Guantanamera's have been good to you then??? :P:clap:

Along with the PSD4, I'd have to add the RASS as well. But I think I have chalk up my experiences with these to inconsistency. All samples were '05 vintage,

and it has been pointed out to me that '05 was not the best year for them - especially for the SD4.

I don't count "pre cut caps" as cigars :lookaround:

Nuh-uh. They're not pre-cut - it's a hole left from the Cuban essence in them, the true spirit of a Cuban cigar, trying to escape the f#@! out of that crap as fast as it can!!! That, and/or the tobacco beetles just spontaneously exploded out of the head of the cigar - even they don't like that tobacco!

For me so far in my limited experience... anything H. Upmann... 46, 50, P2's... overall I find them very lacking in flavor... very clean, light toastyness...one dimensional... not bad if that's what you're after, but I want some flavor!

I'll still probably revisit a 46 out of the Czar's HQ stock if one pops up, but other than that... I won't be filling my humidir with that brand in general.

Great topic, thanks dicko!

Although having probably kicked off a discussion about the PSD4s in my review, the ones I had before were bloody good. Wouldn't have ordered a box otherwise.

For me the true candidate here also would be the RASS. Bought a couple and so far have been totally underwhelmed to say the best. Truth is they were some grubby and harsh little buggers that made me put them out before the last third, leaving me with a bad headache. I saw some pictures of a PSP box from Czar in the forum which looked nothing like mine (mine look like trash compared to those). I would be happy to give one of those a try and compare them. But for the ones I've got (only two left), I burried them deep in my box of singles and may come back to them in a couple of months. Still don't expect them to improve so significantly.

Roberto, did you ever try the Presidentes from the "good old days" [cellophaned ones]? They were mouth-watering :D. Recent vintages have been imposters by comparison.

Great topic, thanks dicko!

Although having probably kicked off a discussion about the PSD4s in my review, the ones I had before were bloody good. Wouldn't have ordered a box otherwise.

For me the true candidate here also would be the RASS. Bought a couple and so far have been totally underwhelmed to say the best. Truth is they were some grubby and harsh little buggers that made me put them out before the last third, leaving me with a bad headache. I saw some pictures of a PSP box from Czar in the forum which looked nothing like mine (mine look like trash compared to those). I would be happy to give one of those a try and compare them. But for the ones I've got (only two left), I burried them deep in my box of singles and may come back to them in a couple of months. Still don't expect them to improve so significantly.

yes, you were the guilty party! :rotfl:

I see where you are coming from with the RASS, but please hold out for a good one, because they really can be superb! :D

I've always wanted some Esplendido's and now that I have a few I just can't find anything about them to like. Low smoke volume, fairly light body, not a lot of evolution. I'm scratching them off my list.

I've also been disappointed with the RASS to the point that I haven't tried them in at least 5 years and while PSD4's have been hit or miss, I can't seem to drop them. I just love the dark ones with the red band. When they're good, they're good and it keeps me coming back.

Most non-Cubans, like the above example; Cuaba and PSD4 among the Havanas.

I only like Padron 64 Maduro. The Natural wrapper is lacking. Furthermore, the size makes a difference. The Padron 1926 Number 2 is a delicious cigar, but is way overpriced.

H.Upmann Magnum 46

I don't hate it. I just don't seem to get the same Nirvana-esque experience as some seem to get from these. I keep trying, but Mag 46's still come off for me like a high-end Dominican... docile and well behaved with no particularly bad traits, but lacking distinctive flavor... billed as Med-Full, but seeming more in the Light or Light-Med range.

These are what I break out when friends visit who are normally DR smokers. They rave. I smile and nod... and think ahead to my next Partagas or Bolivar.

I smoke H. Upmann 46 in the morning. I don't consider it a strong stick, but I smoke a lot of Litto Gomez, Don Pepin, and Illusione.

yes, you were the guilty party! :P

I see where you are coming from with the RASS, but please hold out for a good one, because they really can be superb! :cigar:

So sorry, but see it this way: You weren't the unlucky punk who had to smoke it! :stir:

I'll keep my eyes open for a better RASS but as long as I don't find any that look fabulous I'll keep my hands off them. Maybe I'll ask Rob for a couple of singles along with my next order.

PSP2 never had one better than boring. I could fall asleep during one of these.

Cohiba Genios what a joke(not funny). Poor for yard gars even.

Bogey Cigars... hmmm...

Cigars that consistently disappoint based on my own tastes:

- H Upmann - quality cigars but not my kinda flavour

- Cohibas when young - apart from maduro5s (which are aged and you can tell!) these always seem bland to me

- Vegueros - i don't like the weedy flavour

Cigars that often disappoint because of construction/poor tobacco issues:

- Montecristo no4 and others i can't think of right now. Can be so good and yet so often are crap!

I have tried RASS singles and have a psp box but still am not a fan but guess I will hold out because it sounds like when there on there on. As far as the Monte Edmundo goes its just not my cap of tea, have tried a some out of different boxes and end up tossing them all. Strange because I loved the #2's they have always been a go to stick for me.