2009 cigar that can be aged for 18 years?

I had a baby boy last year. :D

I thought to put away a box for him (and me) to enjoy together when he reaches the legal age to smoke cigars. I already bought a box of RyJ Dukes, but after reading this forum I began to think that maybe they're not the best choise to age for 18 years. So, I need a box from 2009 that can be stored for that long. My humi isn't temperature controlled (at least not yet), if you think that will affect anything.

Any recommendations?

As others have mentioned, the first cigar that comes to mind for me is the Upmann Sir Winston (though I've not sampled any '09s).

On a side note, given many reports of the early approachability of quite a few recent vintage cigars, I might be a little concerned with longevity -

even with what in the past has been an age worthy cigar such as the Sir Winston.

all good recommendations but if I were you I would put down 2 boxes- a box of Cohiba lanceros and a box of the RA Celestiales Finos.

Another vote for the Lusi...I think the 898V is another good choice. Esplendidos are classic. If you are concerned about the loss of flavor...try the Cazadores from RyJ of RA Celestial Finos.

Your original choice of the RyJ Dukes sounds like a good idea to me. To have the year that he was born in on the band itself seems appropriate. But of course, that has more to do with the visual appeal than actual smokeability.

Oh, and congratulations on your baby boy btw!

Congrats on the boy!

If cost is not a factor I would suggest Esplendidos, Lanceros, or Sir Winnies

Otherwise, PSD4, RASS are the first two that spring to mind.

Middle of the road RACF as suggested by Alan would be great. Not only a cigar that is supposed to improve with age, but also is from your son's birth year like the Dukes.

Thanks for the input everybody.

I've narrowed it down to 898V or Cazadores. RACV ight be nice too, or why not BGM? Too many choices!

I have to contact my vendor. It would be nice if the code was OCT09, the same year and month. If anyone from Czar reads this and has a nice box for me, please pm. :party:

Thanks for the input everybody.

I've narrowed it down to 898V or Cazadores. RACV ight be nice too, or why not BGM? Too many choices!

I have to contact my vendor. It would be nice if the code was OCT09, the same year and month. If anyone from Czar reads this and has a nice box for me, please pm. :party:

Picked out some great 09's today over the past week. Touch base with Lise so we can search and put aside a specific great box.

It is a celebration and to me that means:

Cohiba Robusto

Cohiba Esplendido

Upmann Sir Winston

SLR Double Corona

PSP

I read (from FoH?) that Cohibas beany flavours can't stand very long aging. Is this true?

Anyway, I sent pm to First Lady if she finds anything nice.

You have a nice and romantic idea to smoke the year of his birth and you have some nice things in mind. Don't be surprised if some more recent cigars accually taste and look better. JMHO. I believe a cigar needs to be full and strong young to carry well for 18 years.

I have a box of SEP 07 BBFs and a box of JUN 09 RACFs that correlate with my daughters' birth years and months. I smoke one on their birthday each year....I haven't gotten to try the RACFs yet but I will in a couple of months. I think it will be interesting to see how they change over the years. So far the BBFs have been fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...

Bolivar petit belicoso 2009 limited edition. I asked someone I trust at C-Gars Ltd. in London. He says these are going to be classics in his opinon. Also the h upman 48s and the ryj dukes. His response was for long term, like 18 years you stated, go with bolivar. He also said all 09s look good to him.

I had a baby boy last year. :P

I thought to put away a box for him (and me) to enjoy together when he reaches the legal age to smoke cigars. I already bought a box of RyJ Dukes, but after reading this forum I began to think that maybe they're not the best choise to age for 18 years. So, I need a box from 2009 that can be stored for that long. My humi isn't temperature controlled (at least not yet), if you think that will affect anything.

Any recommendations?

I would recommend BHK 56 or 54...Perfect cigar to age..ALso, it came out this year..which is the same year your son was born..its special...

I would disagree with the assesment that the Beany flavors don't stand the test of time. In fact in my experience these flavors take time to develop. I am smoking right now an 01' Siglo III with amazing honey and vanilla bean flavors... My 07's don't come close to this expression of flavor. The same holds true when comparing the 03 Siglo VI's to recent production. Get a great box of 09 Lanceros and thank me in 18 years.