Questions For HSA

I do not know of one Cuban in the industry (Havana Based) who smokes small gauge cigars. I raised the question as to why with many friends there and I received a potpuri of answers which never quite answered it directly. Still when I pull out some aged connie 3's or 2's to share the response is fantastic.

Some of the things I have gleamed on this trip which may answer why.

****Hamlet explained to me that as Divan/factory custom(display) rollers they are permitted to roll only six vitola's of cigars. It is set down as part of the contract. If I remember them correctly they are Panetela, Petit Corona, Corona, Robusto, Piramide, Salamon. They do roll exceptions but technically they are not permitted to (crazy I know).

The money is in the larger gauges. That is what the punter wants. Hence that is what you will find most of the custom rollers smoking, rolling. Even rollers understand ROI !LOL!

****There is also no time restraints in Cuba to have a cigar. The weather is normally very good, plenty of places to smoke and few time restraints to do so. You don't have to carry a Petit Corona because you may only have 40 minutes to enjoy one.

****Cubans (in my experience) value a cigar which is "suave" above all else. This is "smooth" and easily found in seco dominant cigars such as Robusto and larger. They can be put off (a little more sensitive) to fuller bodied cigars, spicy cigars.

As to the mood within the factories it is a little improved from my last visit in November. Cutbacks have been 30% and even those that remain have had their hours and allocations cut back. There is simply less cigars being rolled and less chance to make additional money (overtime...particularly for the top class rollers in the factory).

Times are tough in the factories but they look forward to a better 2010. The key issue is a pickup in global markets to slowly eliminate the mountain of cigars in distributor and HSA warehouses.

I do not know of one Cuban in the industry (Havana Based) who smokes small gauge cigars.

... well no **** Mate!!! I have been saying this for years now. This new generation at Tabacuba would not know a really good cigar if you shoved it up their collective asses!!! More grams of tobacco=more coins in the pocket, but it is not working now is it? The day of the exceptional and unique cigar is gone. The day of the homogeneous Habanos is upon us.

When you have robustos and piramides that no one wants to buy... you cut out coronas and cervantes. When someone might want something other than the overproduced, overpriced 50 ring behemoth you decide not to make the petit corona.

How do I spell stupidity?

HABANOS!

Thanks for the update my friend. Now I'll just go shoot up the neighborhood!!!! (Just kidding of course!) -Piggy

Times are tough in the factories but they look forward to a better 2010. The key issue is a pickup in global markets to slowly eliminate the mountain of cigars in distributor and HSA warehouses.

Too bad Cuba isn't capitalist; excess supply with waning demand should result in a price reduction.

... well no **** Mate!!! I have been saying this for years now. This new generation at Tabacuba would not know a really good cigar if you shoved it up their collective asses!!! More grams of tobacco=more coins in the pocket, but it is not working now is it? The day of the exceptional and unique cigar is gone. The day of the homogeneous Habanos is upon us.

When you have robustos and piramides that no one wants to buy... you cut out coronas and cervantes. When someone might want something other than the overproduced, overpriced 50 ring behemoth you decide not to make the petit corona.

How do I spell stupidity?

HABANOS!

Thanks for the update my friend. Now I'll just go shoot up the neighborhood!!!! (Just kidding of course!) -Piggy

Thank you for the uplifting post :rotfl:

As a small rebuttal:

1. There are plenty at HSA who know cigars, their history, heritage, growing of tobacco, fermenting, blending, rolling. Just because they do not smoke small gauge cigars as the norm does not make them ignoramuses.

2. You have more coronas and cervantes that no one wants to buy than Robusto and Piramides. Fact.

I suggest that before my next trip we (members) reach in our humidor and put together a sampler of great thin gauge cigars (one each) and let me put on a Thin Gauge party in Havana so that Havana HSA and Factory locals can experience how great these cigars can be.

Thank you for the uplifting post :D

As a small rebuttal:

1. There are plenty at HSA who know cigars, their history, heritage, growing of tobacco, fermenting, blending, rolling. Just because they do not smoke small gauge cigars as the norm does not make them ignoramuses.

2. You have more coronas and cervantes that no one wants to buy than Robusto and Piramides. Fact.

I suggest that before my next trip we (members) reach in our humidor and put together a sampler of great thin gauge cigars (one each) and let me put on a Thin Gauge party in Havana so that Havana HSA and Factory locals can experience how great these cigars can be.

That is a great idea Rob...looking forward to contributing and reading about the results after your next trip.

If I was going to ask a Custom roller to roll a special cigar for me, I would pick a "Pipe". I have seen them before and wish I could have an opportunity to smoke one (or a dozen or two). I would love to sample some 42 to 38 rg that are not filled with Seco, but with some Ligero and even a touch of Medio Tiempo. I believe that because of the ratio of leaf to the ring gauge, that the cigar would be extremely flavorful and full bodied.

Prez, did you get a chance to see the pile up of cigars in the warehouses while you were there?

Bart

Nice idea but isn't it a little ironic, end users giving cigars to the manufacturer for purposes of education..

But if it works then that is all that counts at the end of the day.

I know it sounds odd but many of the cigars we classify as thin gauge classics are not available in Havana or at least readily available.

As an example, where would people who really want to embrace what we are talking about have an opportunity to enjoy an aged RA 898 or Partagas lonsdale. While many of the popular cigars are available as singles (Mareva's, Robusto's, Piramides) the long and skinny brigade are in the main not. You won't see Connie 1's, 2's or 3's available for single stick sale in most Havana divans and often even if they are, the high humidity of the Divans can make a half decent draw even harder than normal.

Prez, did you get a chance to see the pile up of cigars in the warehouses while you were there?

Bart™

Didn't get a chance Bart but it is scheduled for the next trip (outside of Festival week) as I would like to spend a day there.

Didn't get a chance Bart but it is scheduled for the next trip (outside of Festival week) as I would like to spend a day there.

I would love to see a picture of their warehouses, that would be pretty neat I am thinking, if they let you :D

Bart

Prez, I got into El Laguito for a tour on the Saturday before the festival. My contact there gave me a bundle of 10 Exquisito sized cigars that she rolls for herself. They were very very good.

Outside of those, I agree with you, I didn't see anything less than about a 50 ring gauge.

Interesting to see that the factory workers smoke larger ring gauges. I wonder if thats what they are drawn to because of the demand for larger ring gauges by the average smoker?