Does size matter?

jacksfull

OK, that title is a misnomer. What I really mean to ask is, do you smoke smaller cigars because C&C's are typically limited in size by the economics involved, or did you come to discover C&C's because you liked smaller cigars in the first place?

The question is predicated on C&C's tending to be in the corona, petit corona, and panetela range (as well as the purito/club/mini ICT's)... but I don't think there is much arguing that. Not many budget minded double coronas coming out of Havana.

It's not really a question of much importance... more of a "bump" thread to keep the C&C forum active!

I don't smoke smaller cigars because the C&C smokes tend to be small, but I smoke a lot of small cigars because they just so happen to be C&C. I do look for the larger C&C smokes though; "Breva" size is a decent all-around size for me regardless of price.

I too find myself smoking smaller vitolas...not dictated by price, but rather time and weather.

• Like 1

While a 42 is probably my favorite RG. Lately I've been enjoying cigars that have a thinner RG than that.

What I enjoy about C&C's is that they they are great to smoke when you have time constraints. They are also great when I'm just in the mood for cigar that has a straight flavor profile pretty much all the way through. No suprises just a good cigar with classic Cuban flavor to cure my cravings.

Sorry to ask but why is CC small anyway in ring gauge? I have notice alot of cc sites around 4x

We might have a bit of a disconnect. By "C&C" I was referring to "Cheap & Cheerful", the sub-forum name and lately coined term for less expensive Havanas... not the all encompassing "CC" for "Cuban Cigar".

For a good overview of what C&C's include, see:

A Classification of Cuban Cigars, into four "tiers"

C&C's (cheap & cheerfuls) tendency toward smaller RG's has to be a function of the simple economics of producing less expensive cigars (less tobacco involved, easier to roll) and their lineage (most are either machine-made or handmade versions of cigars that used to be machine-made).

As far as the general CC (Cuban cigar) population goes, we do seem to be seeing more new releases in larger RG's. At the same time, though, we're losing some really nice smaller RG's.

• 6 months later...

I like both large and small cigars. However, when I do smoke smaller ringed cigars, it's not because of economics. As others have attested, it's usually because of time. Also, I think smaller ringed cigars can sometimes have more intensity of flavor because of the wrapper to filler ratio. I think you usually get more bang for your buck in the smaller vitolas but often they aren't necessarily better.

• Like 1

*Well, to all the people who like lancero's, I just can't get into the thinner gauges because they just burn too hot. Petit Coronas are for not much time. To me the BEST of all sizes is Pyramides and Corona Gordas :lol:B)

Robusto is a great size for me, although one of my favourite smokes is the Cohiba Equisto.

If I am out drinking with the guys I take a couple of Churchill, DC or pyramide size smokes purely because I dont have to carry a number of smaller cigars.

If my wife is with me her hand bag is full of cases I may take up to 8 sticks and maybe smoke 3!!! This continues to be the bane of her life as she sees it. I cant fault her though she always carries a Palio and lighter in her bag!

Lately I have found I really like a longer skinnier vitola over the Robusto sized cigars. I used to only really smoke robustos up to about two months ago and then I got into the skinnies. I love them, they feel right in the hand, smoke is interesting, etc. I really like the Bolivar Corona Extra vitola and the longer cigars like the Lancero or Monte Especial.

Lately I have found I really like a longer skinnier vitola over the Robusto sized cigars. I used to only really smoke robustos up to about two months ago and then I got into the skinnies. I love them, they feel right in the hand, smoke is interesting, etc. I really like the Bolivar Corona Extra vitola and the longer cigars like the Lancero or Monte Especial.

To Each His Own...Enjoy!!!

In the past, I have chosen on size when time is a factor. When you love all the cigars in your coolers, how can one go wrong? But more often, I've smoked two small cigars because I've craved the profile and concentration. That said, sometimes you just want to kick back with a big fat Sig VI and take it easy.

Wilkey

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have moved to stock my collection with corona and robusto size cigars, as they are best suited to my different time/weather constraints. I do keep a very few Por Larranga pantenellas for really cheap short smokes.

I smoke a lot of minutos/perlas and petite coronas. Most of the time the reason I would choose a smoke that size is because of weather, or time. When it is a beautiful, perfect day outside, I probably will take advantage of the weather and smoke a Churchill or Double corona.

• 1 month later...
*Well, to all the people who like lancero's, I just can't get into the thinner gauges because they just burn too hot. Petit Coronas are for not much time. To me the BEST of all sizes is Pyramides and Corona Gordas :excl::lol3:

Yeah I'm in agreement here.When I first got into cigars I was checking out lots of singles,mostly of a PC vitola,trying to learn about Cubans in general and to find my own personal likes.As I progressed upwards I found that the Robusto and Pyramides were pretty much going to be my main cigars,I just find the flavour profiles and complexities that bit deeper and more interesting and the burn much cooler too.My "Damascus" cigars,if you will,were the RyJ Exb #4 (not technically a robusto) and the Monte #2.I've had Monte #2's aplenty that have disappointed me since but that first time still remains my greatest experience to date.I wrote a brief review afterwards in which I had to describe as almost like smoking ice cream! Chocolate,vanilla,nuts and so much cream!! In between draws I didn't take it away from my nose,man I wanted to eat that thing!! Sorry,getting a little carried away now :no:

Size is not really an issue for me, but I personally love PC's because of their flavor profile, Robustos just because its almost perfect rg vs length, exellent 90 minute smokes, but my favs at the moment have to be corona gordas, which i've just started smoking recently but i am really loving it, RG is just about perfect at 46 and length at 5 3/5th, I've got a box of 10 Punch punch punch and a pack of five siglo IV on the way, cant wait

• 10 months later...

I all depends on the day and what I would prefer to smoke. Sure C & C do tend to be small but there are smaller cigars that cost quite a bit. If I am smoking a small cigar it is because I don't have much time or it is cold to sit out side for an extended period of time regardless of cost.

I love the ERDM demitasse - dont know if it qualifies as C & C or not. If its good, why not! Well i discovered it because i like smoking smaller cigars on office days - time constraint + coming from a cigarette smoking background :) I also like the punch coronations(A/T) that i tried.