Does size matter?

jacksfull

I have a different reason why I smoke smaller vitolas and I'd be interested to see what other people's thought are, whether similar or otherwise.

I smoke once a week, usually on a Sunday, sometimes in the morning with a cup of tea. If I have a Robusto Extra or Churchill, the lack of nicotine in my system for the rest of the week dictate that I feel woozy for the rest of the day. A PC or TPC vitola fits for me. When it comes to stronger blends and / or bigger RG and sizes, do you have to be a more regular smoker to properly enjoy them?

• 3 months later...

I really do think that smaller sizes have more flavor. I love PC's and Robustos. They don't always have the complexity and of course like anything it varies with who makes them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

I tend to lean towards the 50rg end of the spectrum.

I do enjoy a corona or petit corona in the morning if I don't plan on sitting around smoking and drinking coffee for a whole day.

I've been getting into smaller ring gauges more andore of late though. I enjoy lanceros but find draw problems are a little more common in the smaller RG's which often tends to make me think twice before buying them over robustos

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

As I don't smoke all the time (we have a monthly cigar night and I only smoke apart from that about once a month as we'll I prefer to go for the larger ring gauge (whether C&C or not). The complexity generally goes down with RG and I like the constantly varying flavours from a larger longer cigar.

• Like 1

Winters can be brutal here and a 30 - 45 minute cigar is what i can handle during cold days. C&Cs really meet my needs for time and expense (I sometimes have to pitch the cigar early if it gets too cold and I really don't want to be doing that with an expensive cigar). I save my larger more expensive cigars for when I have the time and comfort to enjoy them.

• 1 month later...

I really like shorter robustos though at the moment if I'm gonna buy a box it will be C&C's due to budget constraints. I do still enjoy the small vitolas very much however. My first CC was RyJ no. 2 and they are still an old faithful and a great smoke to share with friends who are not really into cigars but are still open to them. Good flavour and strength for that too I believe.

Nothing as grating as sharing say a Siglo VI and the "friend" turfing it halfway through

• 2 months later...

Just based on time I usually end up with coronas/minutos of some sort.

It's just an added bonus that the smaller rg cigars tend to be the more flavorful (and stronger) of the marcas.

I smoked a Boli CJ last week that straight up had me shaky from the nic!

• 4 weeks later...

It's funny, but its the other way around... because of what I usually smoke (between a Corona and just below, say a large panatela?) I'll occasionally sometimes get lucky and fall into the C&C area... they also tend to be a somewhat quicker, and usually more flavorful smoke. It can be tricky, tho, as I have had those made poorly or that burned/tasted like Kerosene-cured strawgrass... so when I find those I like I tend to try to "exploit" that as much as I can...

But to answer the original question (sorry!), yes, size *does* matter... absolutely!

• Like 1

Robusto is a great size for me, although one of my favourite smokes is the Cohiba Equisto.

If I am out drinking with the guys I take a couple of Churchill, DC or pyramide size smokes purely because I dont have to carry a number of smaller cigars.

If my wife is with me her hand bag is full of cases I may take up to 8 sticks and maybe smoke 3!!! This continues to be the bane of her life as she sees it. I cant fault her though she always carries a Palio and lighter in her bag!

My wife also doubles as a cigar sherpa love.gif, complains occasionally but all in all a good sport.

Not much for the C&C though. While I do have some around they're typically for when short on time vs. economics.

I love small cigars, 40-50 rg is perfect for me and 4-5". HUHC is my favourite as I love the feel of the larger ring gauge in a shorter smoke as sometimes I don't feel like a robusto. The fact that they're cheap just means I can smoke more of them!

• 7 months later...

Well all I can say is it depends! I could smoke 4 or 5 petit caronas one day or three Churchill or Double Caronas the next, it just depends!