monster trout!

Ken Gargett

sakatchewan's lake diefenbaker. apparently nearly a decade ago, half a mill hatchlings that were between 6 and ten inches, were accidently released into the lake. most would be dead but a few have snuck through. they are triploids - infertile fish - so more energy goes into growing rather than developing eggs/sperm etc.

lot of debate as to whether a triploid should be considered for records but they do and this is the world record rainbow. the world record brown, nearly 42 lbs, was caught in michigan THE SAME WEEK!!

Amazing...never seen a trout anywhere near that size. I've a brook right across the street from the front of my house. Lots of brown trout there. See a lot of fisherman drive onto my street during warmer weather to fish...I guess some of the neighbors complain as the police often come by and chase them away. Still, I'm told there is great fishing there, but the water is far to shallow to support trout anywhere near that size.

These guys know what they are doing and fish these trout at night time. Ken is correct in the fact that the lake iced up after high water and the heavy ice penetrated the hatchery and they escaped. Certainly different chromosomes. People have been trying to follow these guys and see when where and how they are catching these trout. This particular fish was caught on a jointed Rapala X-Rap.

Thats for sure a PIG. Ken, you hit the water lately brotha?...an angry, foulhooked GT didn't do that to your abdomen, did it?

suspect picking up too many boxes of wine did it. love to say it was a GT but the last one of those i caught, i reckon was about 6 minutes old. still fought.

and part of the recovery is no fishing for 6 weeks at least.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to ask...how do you prepare to catch a trout that big. The only way I could ever bring that fish to shore would be with a boat oar and a rope. Unfortunately I never go trout fishing with that type of tackle.

I have to ask...how do you prepare to catch a trout that big. The only way I could ever bring that fish to shore would be with a boat oar and a rope. Unfortunately I never go trout fishing with that type of tackle.

these guys specifically target big fish so no doubt they'd have the gear.

• 3 months later...

And they say that putting pollutants in the waters is a bad thing! Look at that mutant Trout monster!

this rainbow was caught by a canadian last year. it went 48 lbs! hell of a fish. it broke the previous world record by more than four lbs. that record was held by this bloke's twin brother.

post-9-1264635919.jpg

I had no idea they got that big! That sob is HUGE!