New Hologram on Seal

Hi guys,

A CubanCigarWebsite.com user contacted me the other day with an enquiry about a potentially dodgy seal, and after a bit of research, it's looking like Habanos changed the design of the hologram sometime mid last year.

The basic design of the hologram remains the same, however, on the old one the "Habanos" text is blurry when looked at straight on, while the Aqui logo is fairly clear.

post-1177-0-33382600-1395317012_thumb.jp

On the new one, the "Habanos" text is clear, while the logo is blurry.

post-1177-0-50437700-1395317006_thumb.jp

Earliest confirmed sighting of the new style so far is JUN13. If anyone has boxes from the six months or so preceding this date, please post the codes and whether they have the new or old style so we can narrow down the exact changeover.

Thanks,

Alex

• Like 1

I will def have to check my boxes when I get home tonight. I was going to finishing entering some of my sticks into the website anyway, this just gives me another excuse look at the collection tonight.

I just checked 4 of my 2013 boxes, and there's no apparent timeline.

I have 2 boxes from March, one old style, one new, a new style from February, and an old style from August...

Ahhh, Cuba...

I just checked 4 of my 2013 boxes, and there's no apparent timeline.

I have 2 boxes from March, one old style, one new, a new style from February, and an old style from August...

Ahhh, Cuba...

This looks like Cuba's usual practice.....due to shortages (within the country) old stock always seems to be fully used up, nothing is discarded.

Naturally factories will run-out at different times.

Guyman1966, on 21 Mar 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:Guyman1966, on 21 Mar 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:Guyman1966, on 21 Mar 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:

Would'nt Habanos announce that they are changing/upgrading their seal? Why would it be a guessing game?

Obviously your new to "all things Cuban"..... innocent.gif

If there is a policy on announcements.....the Policy is to "say nothing".

• Like 2

The Habanos marketing department is like the spanish inquisition (I mean the monty python one not the real one)....No one expects them (and they never fail to deliver or is that deliver to fail)

Hi guys,

A CubanCigarWebsite.com user contacted me the other day with an enquiry about a potentially dodgy seal, and after a bit of research, it's looking like Habanos changed the design of the hologram sometime mid last year.

The basic design of the hologram remains the same, however, on the old one the "Habanos" text is blurry when looked at straight on, while the Aqui logo is fairly clear.

P3200112.JPG

On the new one, the "Habanos" text is clear, while the logo is blurry.

P3200107.JPG

Earliest confirmed sighting of the new style so far is JUN13. If anyone has boxes from the six months or so preceding this date, please post the codes and whether they have the new or old style so we can narrow down the exact changeover.

Thanks,

Alex

For those boxes that have the "new seal" (hologram portion) applied, check the seal for the microscopic barcode. It's located, in its entirety, in a few spots on the seal itself and also in halves (part of the barcode in one place and the remaining portion in another). It can be seen with the naked eye and made out if your look very closely.

If the new hologram seal does have the inserted barcode's within the seal, then they should check out...

Unless, counterfeiters have already made attempts to duplicate this newer form of security.. But I seriously doubt it, it's almost impossible.

For those boxes that have the "new seal" (hologram portion) applied, check the seal for the microscopic barcode. It's located, in its entirety, in a few spots on the seal itself and also in halves (part of the barcode in one place and the remaining portion in another). It can be seen with the naked eye and made out if your look very closely.

If the new hologram seal does have the inserted barcode's within the seal, then they should check out...

Unless, counterfeiters have already made attempts to duplicate this newer form of security.. But I seriously doubt it, it's almost impossible.

Improbable, not impossible.

As long as you trust your vendors to deliver you the genuine product, things like this really are a moot point.

Bclass1, on 21 Mar 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

See here: http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/info-packaging.aspx#Union_and_Warranty_Seals

AME MAY 13 PL Montecarlos with the new style. Hope this helps.

I'm guessing this is something more for the benefit of retailers, so they can check authenticity of their stock?

I can't see tourists/Craigslist buyers in the US/mexico checking authenticity to this level of detail. If they aren't checking for glass top boxes they won't be checking for hologram details!

Also regular smokers will have trusted vendors they buy from and know authenticity is there.