Heineken Buys Dos Equis

Heinekin agreed to buy the beer business of Mexico's Femsa in a $5.7 billion deal that would boost the Dutch brewer's emerging markets presence and cement an alliance with one of Latin America's biggest drinks firms.

Heinekin is the world's thrid-largest brewer. Femsa's beer unit is home to Dos Equis, Tecate and Sol.

and leave Belgium & some other countries, to brew REAL BEER for beer lovers.

Amen to that Guy!! :)

mmm... I could go for a Duvel or Chimay right now... or perhaps some Saint Landelin - Mythique... :D

When going out to eat in the US, there sadly aren't many good choices for beer. Heineken is a safe bet for me.

Are you serious? You must be eating in the wrong places - the beer selection in the US is excellent these days

with more breweries than ever and more to select from each day. And thats just what's brewed here - the import market is also looking very good.

Now, what was that about CC/NC's?..... :)

Am I the only one that sees a resemblence between this thread's comments and the CC/NC preference??

When going out to eat in the US, there sadly aren't many good choices for beer. Heineken is a safe bet for me.

You've got to be kidding me. You must either live in a wasteland or you are eating at too many chuck e' cheese restaurants because the beer selection in the US is top notch world class par excellence. The craft beer revival has exploded and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a brewery that's putting out incredible beers. I haven't been to an *adult* place to eat in a long time that didn't at least have Anchor Steam or Sierra Nevada on tap (which are always at minimum a good standby and WORLDS above skunky ass heineken). Most places have even better selections, especially if they have a deal with a local craft brewer or you are eating at a brewpub that makes their own.

It used to be so easy to bash on American "beer" when it was just budweiser/coors/miller fizzy yellow water but nowadays that no longer works. American craft beers are right up there with the best of the best of the "civilized" nations and if you can't find them you are either living in the deserts in Utah or you are simply not opening your eyes.

We even make incredibly good Belgian-style beers (try some from Russian River or just google "vinnie cilurzo" for the scoop on one of our best brewmeisters).

Sorry, but I'm not going to stand idly by and let you take the piss out of the American brewing scene like that, especially not when so many people have worked so hard to finally give us world-class domestic beers at our fingertips. Come to california, I'll take you out to dinner and introduce you to some pints of the best of the best from the American craft brewing scene. You bring the stogies and an open mind, I'll supply everything else.

-- Gary F.

:):D

Great news !!!!!!!!!, now they can continue to make cat piss together

and leave Belgium & some other countries, to brew REAL BEER for beer lovers. :P

Thank you Laficion [whilst opening a botle of Westmalle Tripel]

So in a few months, when I will be in Cancun, there will be no other option than to drink Tequila... B)

So in a few months, when I will be in Cancun, there will be no other option than to drink Tequila...

You can always try the Negra Modelo in Mexico. Actually quite good for a mexican beer IMO...

You can always try the Negra Modelo in Mexico. Actually quite good for a mexican beer IMO...

That is a darker beer, isn't it ? I think I tried it before, but it has not left a big memory behind.

Maybe we as Belgians are too spoiled when it comes to beer...

Negra Modelo is a Munich dunkel lager style beer brewed by Grupo Modelo (the same company that makes that crappy Corona). It's a dark lager. It's actually quite good and probably one of the best Mexican beers. It's not an "awesome" beer, but if it's on the menu beside budweiser and coors, I'll happily drink the modelo and not even bat an eye.

-- Gary F.

It's a dark lager. It's actually quite good and probably one of the best Mexican beers. It's not an "awesome" beer, but if it's on the menu beside budweiser and coors, I'll happily drink the modelo and not even bat an eye.

x2

Negra Modelo is a Munich dunkel lager style beer brewed by Grupo Modelo (the same company that makes that crappy Corona). It's a dark lager. It's actually quite good and probably one of the best Mexican beers. It's not an "awesome" beer, but if it's on the menu beside budweiser and coors, I'll happily drink the modelo and not even bat an eye.

-- Gary F.

I wholeheartedly agree with that...

It used to be so easy to bash on American "beer" when it was just budweiser/coors/miller fizzy yellow water but nowadays that no longer works. American craft beers are right up there with the best of the best of the "civilized" nations and if you can't find them you are either living in the deserts in Utah or you are simply not opening your eyes.

Amen+2,

On my last trip to the states, I tasted some very good & excellent craft beer made

in small batchs, plus, there are soooooo many to choose from that it was n nuff to go crazy.

Craft beers are so good with soo many different tastes, I don't understand how Budweiser,

Coors and Miller are still on the market. :)

I'm still very much into Belgium beer because you can't beat their richness and unique taste

that has made their beer the best in the world , for me. ;)

Thank God that in the US there are still some of the world's most determined beer Aficionado's

who have a true passion for great beer. These true brewers are coming out with some of the most

fantastic small batch Craft beer around . They will not settle for less.

They are not ready to step down and allow the big guys,( who have lost all of the traditions that was

handed down to them for making a great beer), to continue making cat piss and still call themselves

brewers.

Maybe we as Belgians are too spoiled when it comes to beer...

Absolutely, the best in the world in my opinion. On my recent trip there, I couldn't believe the quality and the various choices. Belgium style ales are by far my favorite.

I am a huge fan of american craft brew as well, and I think there are a few brewers making a great belgium style beer here in America like Allagash, Maredsous, etc. I enjoy these very much but I do not believe they are on a level of some of the best Belgium brewers like St. Bernardus, Karmeliet etc. But I also think it is unfair to compare, I believe american craft brews excel in different styles like IPAs, octoberfest styles, winter style, stouts, porters, blonde ales etc... Very different from Triples, Dubbels, Abbey, Bruin etc....

If I'm in the mood for a triple I reach for a Karmeliet but if I want and IPA there are many american choices that I go to first.

Variety is great and room for both!

You've got to be kidding me. You must either live in a wasteland or you are eating at too many chuck e' cheese restaurants because the beer selection in the US is top notch world class par excellence. The craft beer revival has exploded and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a brewery that's putting out incredible beers. I haven't been to an *adult* place to eat in a long time that didn't at least have Anchor Steam or Sierra Nevada on tap (which are always at minimum a good standby and WORLDS above skunky ass heineken). Most places have even better selections, especially if they have a deal with a local craft brewer or you are eating at a brewpub that makes their own.

Sorry, but I'm not going to stand idly by and let you take the piss out of the American brewing scene like that, especially not when so many people have worked so hard to finally give us world-class domestic beers at our fingertips.

-- Gary F.

Well said, Gary,

I can only confirm this.

Nowadays beer selection in the US is better than excellent with so many great small beers to choose from.

First class brewers, great dedication to the craft and fine beers.

I wish we had some of the selection I found at places like "Flying Saucer" in Dallas, TX here in Europe - and I was even able to enjoy a cigar while sampling fine brews like Flying Dog in Heat Wheat from Denver, CO, very tasty.

And from Austin, TX a well made Live Oak Pilz, among many others, those stood out.

Some pics of their beer selection

So no longer the old, tired joke about there being no difference between US beer and making love in a canoe - both f....g close to water.

Those days are long gone....and sometimes apply more to the beer selection in pubs here in the continent.

Nino

Heinekin agreed to buy the beer business of Mexico's Femsa in a $5.7 billion deal that would boost the Dutch brewer's emerging markets presence and cement an alliance with one of Latin America's biggest drinks firms.

Heinekin is the world's thrid-largest brewer. Femsa's beer unit is home to Dos Equis, Tecate and Sol.

Noooo! Not Sol! Sol and Pacifico are very good for what they are - refreshing hot-weather beers with taste. I can't lose Sol to Heinekin's "Foreign Pisswater With Fancy Appeal" empire. This is a travesty.