JLP's - Do you smoke 'em?

For those of us who are daily smokers and/or on a limited budget,

we are always on the lookout for some smokes that are cheap, yet satisfying.

Do the JLP's fit the bill?

Do you have a place for them in your collection, or in your regular rotation?

If so, which of the vitolas do you prefer?

Do you like them fresh, or with some age?

What say you, brothers?

JLPs have been touch and go with me...at present they are not meshing well with my palate.

I am happy with them considering the price. I am working through a 5 X 5 pack of Cremas REO Mar 07, they burn really well, taste pleasant enough to me. The only problem is a lack of volume of smoke. I am likely to buy more.

Do you have a place for them in your collection, or in your regular rotation?

Yeah. Sometimes.

If so, which of the vitolas do you prefer?

Brevas only. The best size.

Do you like them fresh, or with some age?

Ha-ha! HSA make'em from Vuelta Arriba region, as I know they are good fresh. Never store them more than one week))

On a somewhat side note...

Montreal Ron, I've been hoping to see a budget smoke thread on this forum and your JLP thread seemed appropriate to discuss a budget smoke review area.

For example, I'm talking about the myrid Partagas that we are very much current production and hardly ever talked about.

Aristrocrats, Habaneros, Shorts, Corona Senior, Corona Especials, Super Partagas, even Chicos!

Along with the Petit Corona size in general of course (and to hell with Monte 4's being the band leader here. I've just smoked 2 crappy ones in three days after smoking a lovely one from the same box.)

And last but not least, Perlas and Minutos of recent years along with the Mille Fleurs in a few marques.

~An ideal thread would discuss any Habanos that costs as much or less than a Petit Corona with emphasis on quality, taste and value in comparision to the ever popular robustos, and beyond. Cigar size is immaterial for the time being.

If the aforementioned class of cigars are humdrum and worth axeing in the near future, that's fine too.

Just not sure why we ignore discussing them over fatter, pricier cigars.

Slowly working my way thru a box of JL PCs. I'll grab when I don't have time to pay attention to what I'm smoking like going for a walk with the wife, golf, etc...

On a somewhat side note...

Montreal Ron, I've been hoping to see a budget smoke thread on this forum and your JLP thread seemed appropriate to discuss a budget smoke review area.

For example, I'm talking about the myrid Partagas that we are very much current production and hardly ever talked about.

Aristrocrats, Habaneros, Shorts, Corona Senior, Corona Especials, Super Partagas, even Chicos!

Along with the Petit Corona size in general of course (and to hell with Monte 4's being the band leader here. I've just smoked 2 crappy ones in three days after smoking a lovely one from the same box.)

And last but not least, Perlas and Minutos of recent years along with the Mille Fleurs in a few marques.

~An ideal thread would discuss any Habanos that costs as much or less than a Petit Corona with emphasis on quality, taste and value in comparision to the ever popular robustos, and beyond. Cigar size is immaterial for the time being.

If the aforementioned class of cigars are humdrum and worth axeing in the near future, that's fine too.

Just not sure why we ignore discussing them over fatter, pricier cigars.

Hi, Demiurgic -

I have been trying to turn attention in this direction as well.

A while ago, I started a thread about what I call the "second-tier" cigars,

i.e. the formerly machine-made vitolas, hand made since around 2002.

There were many replies, though, as usual, the thread petered out after a few days.

It seems that you and I are not alone in our appreciation of these cigars,

yet, as you say, they are not paid much attention on the forum.

It would be great if there were a "budget smokes" category that could be refered to easily,

where we could do quickie reviews and general commentary re our personal likes/dislikes.

Personally, I find a great deal of satisfaction in these smokes,

and they probably comprise at least half of my stock.

While they do not reach the heights, they are generally quite dependable.

I have had more bad D4s, Lusis, Monte's, Punch Punch, Serie A, etc. than

with Parti Aristocrats, R&J Coronitas en Cedro, or PL Montecarlos,

to give only a few examples.

Last night's smoke was an '06 Super Partagas.

Perfect draw, perfect burn, and a rich, delicious taste.

No real complexity, little change from start to finish, but so what.

$4 rather well-spent, IMHO.

I am also currently enjoying machine-mades from the nineties,

many cello-wrapped and some hand-finished.

Some are still kick-ass rude boys, while some have evolved into a graceful maturity.

A few are underfilled or plugged, but most are rather well constructed.

Some can still be found, mostly in Europe, at very reasonable prices,

though they are disappearing quickly.

Nor do I disdain the TC cigars.

PL Panatelas, Fonseca Delicias, and Quintero Brevas,

all with some age, are among my favorites.

And I do, on occasion, smoke JLPs.

And finally, the Puritos.

Nasty and tarry when fresh, but two or three years do wonders.

Perfect for a quickie work break, or on a short walk.

So, let us do what we can to focus attention on this area of Cuban cigars.

If we cannot get a permanent "budget" section,

we can do reviews, start occasional threads,

and put in our 2c worth whenever we get a chance.

So, let us do what we can to focus attention on this area of Cuban cigars.

If we cannot get a permanent "budget" section,

we can do reviews, start occasional threads,

and put in our 2c worth whenever we get a chance.

Exactly - why wait for someone else? If members smoke and enjoy these cigars, why not make the effort to contribute to the forum by posting

a review in the review forum.

P.S. You guys mention a lack of reviews for these cigars - how many have you posted?

IMO even the collector of the highest-end Cubans would be remiss without a box or 2 of JLP's- seriously. You get the 'twang, flavor and experience of a Cuban at a fractio nof a prmium price.

the Petit Cazadores and Cremas are far and away the best IMO. The rest are fine, but lack the little complexity and polish that these 2 vitolas exhibit.

Ron, that was awesome, Right on!

Thanks for taking my idea the right way and not geting offended that I kinda jacked your thread there.

Perhaps you can start a budget smoke thread?

I'm going to follow you on this one because all I have bught from the Czar are robustos and even Mag 50's in the last 1.5 years. The infamous Monte4 is more of a "are you messing with me?" type experiance and does not count. Hard to believe that one box of cigars can have such a magnificent range.

A range as diverse as a cigar made of card board beside an oreo cookie stick pre-dipped in milk!

I've paid the price of following pop cigar culture which I had to experiance first hand of course.

That too, from a reputable vendor, like Rob who only supplied some of the best quality HSA was pumping out at the time. There is no other way to determine what one likes. A forum can only serve as a guide never the actual experiance.

Now I feel there exist $2 smokes from cigar factories selling in 8th street in Miami that I prefer to some Habanos.

And there are also some Habanos that are tasty enough to be a food product!

However, so far there has been a serious price mismatch involved till I started to wonder about the so called 'second tier' Habanos. They remain the last frontier because EL's and RE's are not made for folks like me.

Now, I'm looking forward to exploring all these second tier Habanos made for blue-collar folks like myself, the cigars most 'aficionados' ignore. They ignore them by giving them no words, good or bad. For isn't it true that almost half of Cuba's cigar production is for domestic consumption and also that JLP's are the most popular smokes there since they are so affordable?

And the experiance begins!