FORMULA 1 - 2010

Hello and welcome tracky! :thumbsup:

To answer your question, "No" to both.

US F1 had their chance and as we all know, they fell through due to financial hardship. It would be good for the US to have their own team but due to the newer teams being fairly slow to say the least, Bernie Ecclestone is really unhappy with them and as such, I can't imagine he would give the likes of another 'Private' team to enter F1 anytime soon.

Of course, this is just my own opinion and is not to say I could be wrong.... :2thumbs:

I think Bernie is hoping an established manufacturer would enter F1 as there have been rumors about Audi "Peeking" about and showing some interest for as soon as 2012.

I agree. No to both. The US is going through a difficult economic times. Campos has had their bid rejected this year. Mika's right Bernie wants more money to join hence more of the manufacturers. I read some rumor that Porsche is thinking of joining.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read some rumor that Porsche is thinking of joining.

I stand corrected Baldy, 'you the man" as you are right! :lol3: It wasn't Audi, it was Porsche looking at joining F1. ;)

There's always going to be back markers, someone always has to come last but if you're going to have back markers in teams, they better be good teams at least that don't hold up the over takers and that's for any team that are on the grid currently or in future so teams like HRT, Virgin, shouldn't be on the grid but rather established teams that have some racing pedigree or history. :)

F1 needs to be challenging, exciting and prestigious as it is meant to be the 'Ultimate' motor sport and achievement for any driver to aspire to.

'Just filling in the blanks/grid' to make up numbers was a big mistake on Bernie's behalf and giving the guy credit here, I think he has recognized his mistake.

Renault sign Bulls & Lotus engine deals

Renault-front-wing_2424237.jpg

Renault has announced a double coup by agreeing engine supply deals with Red Bull and Lotus Racing.

Both contracts cover next season and 2012, and means Renault joins Mercedes, Ferrari and Cosworth in supporting three teams on the grid.

The extension of the arrangement with Red Bull will now run to six years as the team and manufacturer initially joined forces in 2007.

As for Lotus, they were able to break free of a three-year tie-up with Cosworth earlier this season, with Friday's confirmation of a Renault partnership unsurprising in Formula One circles.

Bernard Rey, president of Renault Sport, said: "Renault is delighted to announce an expanded agreement with Red Bull and the arrival of a new customer.

"These new agreements mean Renault engines will power three teams next year - in simple terms, 25% of the cars on the grid.

"We remain firm believers in the benefits of our successful involvement in F1. It positions Renault as a technological leader, and boosts awareness of the brand across the globe."

In recognition of the new deal with Red Bull, Renault branding will feature more strongly on the cars and drivers' helmets, starting with this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix.

Team principal Christian Horner said: "We have always enjoyed a very straightforward relationship with Renault.

"They have supported us extremely fairly during the past four seasons, contributing to our 13 grand prix victories so far.

"The relationship continues to evolve and we look forward to working with them during our 2011 Formula One World Championship campaign."

Lotus Racing owner Tony Fernandes is naturally hoping working with Renault will guarantee continued growth and ultimately success for his team.

"There has obviously been a great deal of speculation about which engine will be powering our cars from 2011 and now the announcement has been made I think everyone can see just how ambitious we really are," said Fernandes.

"The partnership with Renault will dramatically accelerate our development plans, both on and off track.

"We are realistic, we know what needs to be done to be challenging for ultimate honours in Formula One, and this partnership will play a very important role in helping us push ahead."

MIKA: I'm glad to see Lotus have some sense and ditched Cosworth. Now all we need is for Williams to wake up as they are a team who once dominated the podium and have now fallen to become a shadow of their former self.

Nurburgring confident of F1 future

dal0901se44_2523489.jpg

Formula One is to have a future beyond 2011 on the Nurburgring, organisers of the German race said on Friday.

Nurburgring Automotive managing director Joerg Lindtner told the German Press Agency dpa that talks will be held with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and others to renew the contract beyond 2011.

"We believe that Formula One makes sense from an economic point of view and that's why we want to have it here," Lindtner said.

Germany has had financial problems in organising F1 races in recent years with the Nurburgring organisers unable to stage the race in 2007.

The German GP is now shared by the Nurburgring and Hockenheim with this year's race held at Hockenheim while in 2011 F1 will return to Nurburg

MIKA: Great news!! :lol3:

Fri: Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault

SebastianVettel_2523483.jpg

Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber set the pace in Brazil, edging ahead of Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton...

Red Bull:

Sebastian Vettel: "I think it was pretty good today - of course it's not the most important thing to be at the top of the timing list today, it's more important tomorrow and Sunday - but it's a good start. The car feels alright, I'm not one hundred percent happy with the balance and think we can improve it, but it's looking okay. I think it's likely to rain tomorrow."

Mark Webber: "It was a good Friday and we got through everything we wanted. Obviously the track was in a good condition from the outset, so we were able to get down to work. Conditions were good and we made the most of it. We're not too sure what will happen weather-wise, but we're pretty quick and the car works well in all conditions, so we should be set for a good result."

Ferrari:

Fernando Alonso: "As usual, it is very difficult to draw any conclusions after Friday's two free practice sessions. In fact, the Red Bulls have always been dominant in the last six or seven Fridays, therefore there were no surprises today. Even when we have managed to take pole, they have been very competitive the previous day. For us, it will be important to stay ahead of the McLarens and the other teams, who on this track could be in the mix: by that I mean Renault, Williams and Mercedes. Then, the forecast is for rain tomorrow and anything could happen. It will be vital to understand when and on what tyres to go out on track to set a time. We have introduced a few updates on the car which seems to be a positive step, even if we still need to analyse the data in depth. The engine change between the two sessions was already on the day's programme therefore, in reality I only lost a couple of laps, nothing more."

Felipe Massa: "I ran wide at Turn 2 and went over the kerb quite heavily: I immediately noticed that the clutch had disengaged and I was unable to select any gear to try and get back to the pits. Nothing like that has ever happened to me before: it was only when the car was brought back to the garage that we discovered it was an electrical problem. It was a shame, because I was on my first run with the soft tyres and I had yet to fully understand how they were working. Overall, I feel we can be competitive this weekend. Sure, the Red Bulls are very strong, as are the McLarens. It is meant to rain tomorrow and, on a wet track, anything could happen. I don't expect any special problems with the tyres as their behaviour seems to match our expectations. It's true I did not do a long run on the softs, but the initial impression is that they are also consistent. The Brazilian crowd is incredible, singing and dancing all day long! They are very passionate about Formula 1 and for a driver who is from here, it is a great pleasure to race in front of these fans: it gives you an extra motivation to give your all to make them happy."

McLaren:

Lewis Hamilton: "The car felt good today - I'm getting everything out of it - but I still felt it needs just a little more downforce. Still, I'm optimistic for qualifying tomorrow - especially if it rains, which I'm told it probably will. This year's car is much better than last year's car in the wet, so I feel confident that if it rains we should be able to fight for the front row. In terms of pure pace in the dry, the Red Bull looks very quick. But a number of factors will play a part in deciding how things pan out in the next two grands prix - weather, engines, reliability - so it's all still up for grabs."

Jenson Button: "We spent today playing about with the balance. The car feels good in high-speed corners, but we still need to work on the front end of the car in low-speed corners. Towards the end of today's running, on higher fuel, the car felt pretty good, which was encouraging. The weather forecast says it looks like rain tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see how that affects qualifying. I think our race car should be good - and that's important because Sunday should be dry. Hopefully, our race set-up won't be too compromised by the anticipated wet conditions in qualifying tomorrow."

Renault:

Robert Kubica: "Our position looked pretty good in both sessions today but we know from experience that Friday can be misleading, so we need to be cautious. The main target overnight will be to improve the balance of the car because it was not ideal today - I was struggling with inconsistency and low grip. None of the changes we made really allowed us to make a big step forward, so we need to work hard this evening to make progress. Although the circuit was quite slippery early on, the grip levels picked up quite quickly, so we had a consistent basis for our testing."

Vitaly Petrov: "We lost quite a lot of time this morning after my accident, and that obviously had a knock-on effect this afternoon as well. It's been a difficult day for me, but I have enjoyed driving this circuit, which gives the driver quite a lot of challenges. We need to work hard tonight to ensure that we can make up for the problems we had today."

Fri: Toro Rosso, Lotus, Virgin, Hispania

Jaime-Alguersuari-and-Timo-Glock_2523505.jpg

Toro Rosso joined Lotus, Virgin and Hispania Racing at the back of the timesheets in Friday's Brazilian practice...

Toro Rosso:

Sebastien Buemi: "The day went quite smoothly, apart from a problem with the brakes at the start of the afternoon session. When you brake at the end of the straight and the pedal goes long, it's not a nice feeling so I came straight back to the pits. Well done to the team for fixing the problem so quickly. After that I was able to finish my programme, getting a good read on the tyres over the long run with both the Option and the Prime tyres. They say it will rain tomorrow, which means it will be a completely different story. We now need to look for ways in which we can improve for tomorrow."

Jaime Alguersuari: "This was a difficult day in which I struggled with understeer and oversteer and currently we don't look very competitive in the dry, so we must see what we can do to improve as I was not so happy with the balance of the car. But things could be better for us if the rain comes tomorrow as predicted. As for the incident with Schumacher, I had spun at the previous corner and so he came alongside me on the outside going into Turn 1. I tried to keep my inside line as he came round but all the same we touched."

Lotus:

Jarno Trulli: "That was a pretty good day. It's good to complete so many laps and have no problems at all. When the car feels well balanced, like it did today, you can push around the whole lap and end up where we did, ahead of the other new guys. I have to say this is one of my favourite tracks. It's very technical and I think it suits my style well. We've made a few changes to the setup for this weekend and that's given me more confidence in the car - I think you can see the results of that in my lap times, and I think there's more to come tomorrow."

Heikki Kovalainen: "It was a good day for us. It started well, with the confirmation of the Renault engines next year, and then on track we got through the whole programme with no problems. The car felt good on both types of tyres and with the different fuel loads and when you compare our times with our direct competitors I think we're looking very strong. I really like this circuit - it's been evolving all day and it's a good challenge to find the right setup to cope with the high speed and the low speed sections. When you have a good day like we have had today it's a very rewarding circuit to drive."

Virgin:

Lucas di Grassi: "Today was my first time ever driving the Interlagos circuit in a Formula One car. It is just an amazing feeling to be racing in my home town and I'm very excited about the whole weekend. Today was a good start; although I missed the first session I was still able to get up to speed quite quickly. I think we made all the right setup changes, so I'm feeling competitive this weekend and of course I have that little extra motivation that a home race brings."

Timo Glock: "Today was a bit of a strange day. We had a good first session but the second free practice wasn't very helpful. The Prime tyre was working well but we didn't do so well on the Options. After trying the Option tyre we made some setup changes and I'm confident that we have a good direction for tomorrow. After that we will see what the weather brings and what opportunities we can create for ourselves."

Hispania:

Bruno Senna: "I was very excited and happy today to race at home and on this new track for me. It was a good day and I could do many laps. We worked very hard to find more performance from the car and learnt a lot. In the second session, we managed to find a better compromise. We will see what happens tomorrow, as it looks as if it's going to rain and I am looking forward to be in front of my home crowd again."

Christian Klien: "The first day started off very well for us and I felt comfortable as soon as I jumped into the car. We could already work on the set-up for the race. Unfortunately, I had to stop before the end of the first session because the second gear was broken. We lost one run with this but in the afternoon, the car was fixed again and I could do some long runs. I am very happy to be back in the car and to complete a full race weekend again after Singapore."

Fri: Sauber, Merc, Williams, Force India

106560980_2523451.jpg

There were top ten times on Friday for Nick Heidfeld and both Merc GP drivers while Rubens Barrichello narrowly missed out...

Sauber:

Nick Heidfeld: "I am quite satisfied because I didn't expect us to be that strong here, and the lap time isn't on the edge yet. The long runs were even better than eighth fastest. I feel here I made a step forward with the set up of the car."

Kamui Kobayashi: "I think our general performance is quite good, but I'm not yet happy with my car. We have to find the right balance, as it is too understeery. Also I expected a bit more grip from the option tyres. At least the puncture at the end of the first session didn't cost track time, and we have completed our programme as planned."

Mercedes GP:

Nico Rosberg: "We made some good set-up changes and definitely learned a lot over the two sessions today. As a result, I'm confident that we can nail the set-up if it is dry tomorrow. However if the predicted rain arrives, then I will look forward to it even more as we should be a little stronger if it is wet and have a better chance of being further up the field."

Michael Schumacher: "We had two trouble free practice sessions today and were able to complete a lot of work with the car. I would have wished and expected for us to be closer to the top teams but unfortunately the gap seems to be a little bigger than at the last races. The track itself has improved a lot since I last raced here and the bumps are not really a problem anymore. All in all, we have to see what we can improve for qualifying tomorrow and we will have a deep look into our data now."

Williams:

Rubens Barrichello: "Today went ok. We worked through everything we needed to and tried out various combinations. We need to make some improvements and get everything working for tomorrow as I don't think the car was any faster in the afternoon's session. Typically for Brazil, it's looking like it could be wet tomorrow so we have to prepare for that."

Nico Hulkenberg: "It looks very competitive out there this weekend so I think it could be quite a difficult task to get into the top ten tomorrow. Personally, I didn't get a very clear run on the option on low fuel today but everything else went well. We still have to improve the car ahead of qualifying so we have work to do."

Force India:

Adrian Sutil: "Today was a reasonable start to the weekend with no major problems and some solid running in both sessions. We ran through our usual programme of long and shorter runs and tyre work and got lots of information to work on tonight. Unusually for here the surface was quite grippy, even in the morning, so we didn't need to wait for it to rubber in to get the tyre comparison data. We also had some new items to test and the car felt consistent and balanced, even if there wasn't such a huge improvement in time, maybe half a tenth or so. Let's see what we can do tomorrow: the weather conditions for qualifying look to be a bit mixed so it could be an opportunity to show well."

Tonio Liuzzi: "Overall it went pretty well today over the two sessions. We still need to understand a bit more about the set-up as this is a difficult track to get right with the long straights and then the twisty middle section - you need to get the right compromise between the downforce levels. We also had an issue with the switchable rear wing in the morning but we sorted it for the afternoon. We could go some way into understanding the tyre performance but we've got a bit of work to do on the balance to get everything right, although on the positive side we know there's still more to come from us."

I stand corrected Baldy, 'you the man" as you are right! :lol3: It wasn't Audi, it was Porsche looking at joining F1. ;)

There's always going to be back markers, someone always has to come last but if you're going to have back markers in teams, they better be good teams at least that don't hold up the over takers and that's for any team that are on the grid currently or in future so teams like HRT, Virgin, shouldn't be on the grid but rather established teams that have some racing pedigree or history. :)

F1 needs to be challenging, exciting and prestigious as it is meant to be the 'Ultimate' motor sport and achievement for any driver to aspire to.

'Just filling in the blanks/grid' to make up numbers was a big mistake on Bernie's behalf and giving the guy credit here, I think he has recognized his mistake.

Thanks for the compliment bro.

I agree having the same back markers that are always consistently lapped every race is not good. Some of this fault is with FIA's process of awarding new teams. F1 cars takes a long time and a lot of $$ to develop and be marginally competitive. It's understandable that new team, who's only been awarded a spot in November, cannot be competitive 4-5 months later when the first race of the season starts. I think new teams should not racing until the following season. So a new team in Nov 2010 would not start racing until 2012. However the new team is allowed to test unlimited testing for all of 2011. Essentially this season, 2010, is a testing season for HRT, Lotus and Virgin anyways.

Looks like Red Bull may wrap up the constructors this weekend in Brazil. The weather may still play a huge part yet. This might not be the year for McClarens. Go Weber!

Vettel backs Bulls as Webber cries foul

106568517_2523571.jpg

Sebastian Vettel has hit back at Mark Webber's claim that Red Bull are emotionally favouring the young German.

Earlier this week, Webber suggested his tilt at the Formula One title this year had been "inconvenient" to Red Bull.

Team principal Christian Horner dismissed Webber's comments, insisting the Australian had received the team's full support.

It prompted what appeared to be a heart-to-heart between the two men last night outside the team's hospitality unit in the paddock at Interlagos, with Webber in particular quite animated.

Now Vettel has had his say, notably via one comment aired on German television station RTL in which he said: "If Mark needs help then he should take the medical car."

It further underlines the divide which exists between the drivers and seems a clear indicator that Vettel will not aid Webber's cause at any stage.

Asked specifically if he felt the team were emotionally rooting for him, Vettel said: "No. Obviously a lot of things have been said or written.

"Everyone has his own opinion, but for me we both have the same chance every weekend to do well.

"The team supplies us with a very good car and that's ultimately the situation that you want to be in, having a car where you can win races and fight for podiums.

"Mark has been in Formula One much longer than I, but I remember my time three years ago, I was dreaming of being a guy able to finish on the podium, able to win races.

"I'm enjoying a lot what I'm doing and I'm very proud and happy to be in the position I am now, and happy to be in a team like I am."

Vettel also feels he has had the rougher ride this year in terms of mechanical issues.

He suffered a spark plug problem that dropped him from first to fourth in Bahrain, a wheel failure that pitched him into the gravel in Australia when he was leading and a blown engine while also leading in Korea in the last race.

It was also Vettel who came off worse when he and Webber collided in Turkey, as he retired while his team-mate managed to keep going after spinning off, eventually finishing third.

"I think I've had lots of ups and downs this year, but if something has broken then it has tended to break on my car," Vettel added.

"But do I think there is any conspiracy in the air? No, it's the last thing I think about.

"I always approach things by thinking there is a reason something has happened.

"If it does I speak to Christian, I speak to Dietrich (Mateschitz), the people responsible for our team.

"If something is not right, not happening the way I feel it should, then I say something. That's what everyone does.

"I am who I am and I always say what I think. Sometimes I might hold back on my opinion because I think it's the smarter way.

"But I'm the last guy to cause conflict when it's not necessary."

Thanks for the compliment bro.

I agree having the same back markers that are always consistently lapped every race is not good. Some of this fault is with FIA's process of awarding new teams. F1 cars takes a long time and a lot of $$ to develop and be marginally competitive. It's understandable that new team, who's only been awarded a spot in November, cannot be competitive 4-5 months later when the first race of the season starts. I think new teams should not racing until the following season. So a new team in Nov 2010 would not start racing until 2012. However the new team is allowed to test unlimited testing for all of 2011. Essentially this season, 2010, is a testing season for HRT, Lotus and Virgin anyways.

Looks like Red Bull may wrap up the constructors this weekend in Brazil. The weather may still play a huge part yet. This might not be the year for McClarens. Go Weber!

Thank you for posting Baldy, your opinions are very welcome here! :)

What you stated about newer teams entering F1 being given adequate testing time say the season before they enter F1 makes perfect sense and I wonder how on earth those numb headed buggers of the FIA do not see this sense!? :o

I agree also in that the red Bulls are strong and will wrap up the constructors this weekend if all goes well.

What do you think however about Horner at Red Bull not backing Webber or Vettel thus leaving them to both fight it out? It's certainly interesting, I can appreciate RBR's stance on this BUT what if they both take each other out as there is alot of hostility between Webber and vettel? :lol3:

I can't help but feel toward Webber (And I'm not saying this because he's an Aussie) as he has fought hard this season and has been almost flawless. I do feel the owner of RBR being Austrian favors Vettel. ;)

Alonso: We're in a battle with McLaren

106569780_2523587.jpg

Fernando Alonso concedes Red Bull Racing have the edge in Brazil, saying Ferrari's fight will be against McLaren.

Red Bull dominated Friday's practice sessions with Sebastian Vettel taking the top honours ahead of his team-mate Mark Webber. However, Alonso wasn't far off the pace.

The Spaniard, who had an engine failure just before the end of Practice One, finished the second session third on the timesheets, 0.360s behind Vettel and 0.328s up on fourth-placed Lewis Hamilton.

"Overall we can be confident going into the weekend," said the double World Champ.

"I think it is difficult to evaluate normally the Friday times because it goes up and down depending on which moment you look at the times, and for the moment Red Bull Racing is still very competitive so it seems another strong weekend for them.

"It seems we can fight with McLaren to be the first ones to be behind Red Bull and put them in problems.

"For us it is important to be as close as we can to Red Bull to fight for pole position.

"We did it in Singapore, which on Friday it seems that they were very competitive and on Saturday we managed to be on pole, so hopefully tomorrow we can do that as well."

As for concerns about his engine supply, the one that let go in Practice One was an old engine, which Ferrari had already said they would change ahead of the rest of the weekend's action.

The team has been trying to save power because Alonso used his last new engine back at September's Italian GP and he won't be able to switch into a new unit without losing 10 starting positions.

"We should be okay," Alonso said. "Everything is still according to plan."

His team-mate Felipe Massa also suffered troubles and was forced to retire with half an hour remaining in the afternoon session.

He said: "I was going out from Turn 2, going out on the kerb, I touched a bit of bump on the kerb and suddenly the clutch opened, so no gears, and then I had to stop because I couldn't come back."

"We don't know yet if it was an electronic problem with the touch on the kerb. It was a little bit strange. It was something that I've never had."

Button: I'll make the decision if needed

Jenson-Button-1_2523443.jpg

Jenson Button insists he will never accept team orders but will know himself when the time is right to help McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton's title challenge.

Standing 42 points adrift of Championship leader Fernando Alonso, nothing but a win will do in Sunday's Brazilian GP if Button is to remain in the hunt heading into the final race in Abu Dhabi.

Button is adamant team boss Martin Whitmarsh has enough confidence in him to trust his judgement and serve the best interests of the team without ordering him to do so.

Button told Press Association Sport: "I will not be ordered, I will never be ordered to do anything.

"I think Martin and myself, in the short period we've been together over the last year, we've learnt a lot about each other and Martin knows he doesn't have to talk to me.

"He knows I'm intelligent enough to make my own decision, and the right decision.

"Of course, my main focus is to go out and try to win the race, and if that's not possible, we'll see what happens.

"But second to that the team is important to me, so yeah, I will do what I feel is correct.

"I think we have a very good understanding within this team," added Button.

"Naturally I want to win the Championship. I don't want anyone else to do so.

"But if I suddenly find myself in a position where I can't win it, you are a team, so you do what you think is right.

"It's very like NASCAR in a way. You have two or three team-mates, and you can't win a race unless your team-mate pushes you around the circuit.

"It needs to be down to you as an individual to make that decision, definitely."

It is the harmonious relationship that exists between Hamilton and Button that ensures if push comes to shove, the latter will play his part.

That is a source of great comfort to Hamilton, who finds himself 21 points behind Alonso and in need of all the help he can get if he is to overhaul his former team-mate.

"It's a different scenario for all three teams," said Hamilton.

"The Red Bulls are really battling it out, neck and neck.

"Then you have Ferrari where (Felipe) Massa has supposedly said he is going to do everything to help Fernando, which is a completely different situation.

"Then you've the position here where we're both trying to win.

"But we have a great relationship, one generally where you would assist in a way maybe.

"Obviously it's all very hypothetical, but I feel it's a positive thing, which is what we all want. It's nice to know we are a team."

Seemingly the same cannot be said of Red Bull, where Mark Webber claimed earlier this week that the emotion within the team is with Sebastian Vettel, and that his Championship challenge this season has been "inconvenient".

Button knows exactly what Webber is going through as he endured something similar at Renault where he felt he was an outsider.

"I think we've all found ourselves in a situation where we don't feel happy within a team, where you don't feel you're really wanted," Button said.

"That is important to me, to know you are wanted. I had that at my previous team and I was worried in moving teams I wouldn't have that, but I found it very quickly and I feel very at home here.

"I'm only going on what I've read and heard Mark say, but it doesn't look like he's very loved there.

"That must be tough and a difficult position to be in."

MIKA: This article raises only one question in my head..... Is this Webbers last season at RBR regardless if he has signed an extension? Should he win the WDC, I think he will quit the team.

Kubica unhappy with Renault handling

59376_2.jpg

Robert Kubica said his sixth-fastest practice time at Interlagos on Friday belied the fact that his Renault was not handling to his liking.

The Pole lapped within a second of the pace-setting Sebastian Vettel, but insisted major set-up improvements would be needed overnight.

“Our position looked pretty good in both sessions today but we know from experience that Friday can be misleading, so we need to be cautious,” he said.

“The main target overnight will be to improve the balance of the car because it was not ideal today – I was struggling with inconsistency and low grip.

“None of the changes we made really allowed us to make a big step forward, so we need to work hard this evening to make progress.

“Although the circuit was quite slippery early on, the grip levels picked up quite quickly, so we had a consistent basis for our testing.”

Team-mate Vitaly Petrov had another torrid day after being pitched into a big crash when his rear wing failed at Ferradura in the morning session.

“We lost quite a lot of time this morning after my accident, and that obviously had a knock-on effect this afternoon as well,” said the Russian, who finished the day 15th fastest.

“It’s been a difficult day for me, but I have enjoyed driving this circuit, which gives the driver quite a lot of challenges.

“We need to work hard tonight to ensure that we can make up for the problems we had today.”

Renault’s chief race engineer Alan Permane admitted the team had its work cut out to ensure a good qualifying performance.

“It was actually a bit of a frustrating day, and we struggled to find a car balance that Robert was happy with,” he said.

“He suffered from inconsistency, probably owing to the low-grip surface here, and we will work tonight to improve that and make the car easier to drive.

“We’ve still got a lot of work to do tonight, to improve both cars and get to where we want to be.

“What’s more, the weather forecast indicates that we’ll probably have rain all day tomorrow.

“That will be an added challenge – but, as always, could also give us the opportunity to spring a surprise.”

What do you think however about Horner at Red Bull not backing Webber or Vettel thus leaving them to both fight it out? It's certainly interesting, I can appreciate RBR's stance on this BUT what if they both take each other out as there is alot of hostility between Webber and vettel? :lol3:

I can't help but feel toward Webber (And I'm not saying this because he's an Aussie) as he has fought hard this season and has been almost flawless. I do feel the owner of RBR being Austrian favors Vettel. ;)

Horner is caught between in a no win situation. Personally I think Horner wants to support both drivers and even favours Webber a little bit. However, Red Bull's owner and higher ups definitely favours Vettel. I think most everyone can see this. There's no way Horner can come out and support Webber as long as Vettel has a mathematical chance of winning.

As for Vettel, he thinks he's the second coming of Shaumacher. There's a greater probability of the American embargo against Cuba being lifted in 2010 than Vettel supporting Webber. Vettel is not a team player like Massa and would rather see anyone but Webber win the WDC.

I disagree bro, Webber has made some awful mistakes this season. Had Webber not made a rookie mistake at Korea, he'd either would have won or came in 2nd. Webber may still win but he's not making it easy for himself.

In the end, Alonso may benefit most from Red Bull's infighting and McClaren's lack of pace this season. As much as I hate both Ferrari and Alonso.

I disagree bro, Webber has made some awful mistakes this season. Had Webber not made a rookie mistake at Korea, he'd either would have won or came in 2nd. Webber may still win but he's not making it easy for himself.

A fair opinion and comment bud, Korea was a pretty stupid and avoidable mistake! :)

In the end, Alonso may benefit most from Red Bull's infighting and McClaren's lack of pace this season. As much as I hate both Ferrari and Alonso.

You have my vote there baldy, that makes two of us that dislike Alonso. :lol3: I hope and pray Alonso DNF's this race. ;)

This article raises only one question in my head..... Is this Webbers last season at RBR regardless if he has signed an extension? Should he win the WDC, I think he will quit the team.

Button's an intelligent, realistic and a team player. He'll help Hamilton.

I'd be surprise if Webber is still at RB next season. Win or lose.

Hulkenberg takes shock Brazil pole

Rookie Nico Hulkenberg judged damp-but-drying conditions to perfection to claim a sensational maiden pole position – and Williams’s first in more than five years – in a nail-biting qualifying session at Interlagos.

On a tricky, greasy track that called for a switch from intermediate to slick tyres halfway through Q3, Hulkenberg trumped all the championship contenders in the biggest qualifying turn-up since Giancarlo Fisichella put Force India on pole at Spa last autumn.

He did it in emphatic style, too – producing two laps quick enough for pole, the final one leaving him more than a second clear of compatriot and qualifying king Sebastian Vettel, who edged out team-mate Mark Webber for second place.

Championship outsider Lewis Hamilton took fourth and was disappointed not to have missed a rare opportunity to out-qualify the usually dominant Red Bulls, while points leader Fernando Alonso was content enough with fifth.

Jenson Button’s dwindling title hopes took another blow after he failed to make the cut for Q3. The reigning champion will line up 11th, two spots behind Ferrari number two Felipe Massa.

The track was damp throughout, drying only slowly and fitfully through the first two knockout sessions, which were headed by Alonso and Webber respectively.

But by the time Q3 began, the lap times on intermediate tyres were approaching the ‘crossover point’ at which a change to slicks became profitable – and all the remaining 10 drivers were soon back in the pits again for dry rubber.

Williams had made the switch earlier than most, but surprisingly it was Hulkenberg rather than his vastly more experienced team-mate Rubens Barrichello who began lighting up the timing screens.

His initial benchmark of 1m16.373s was soon eclipsed by Hamilton and then Alonso in the improving conditions, but Hulkenberg had found a fine rhythm and kept moving the target as he reeled off an error-free sequence of laps.

His next effort of 1m15.462s proved too good for all the big names on their final runs – and, having crossed the line a few seconds before the chequered flag fell on the session, Hulkenberg had another lap in his pocket.

This one stopped the clocks in a stunning 1m14.470s – leaving the whole paddock suitably impressed and prompting whoops of delight in the usually low-key and businesslike Williams garage, even if team co-owner Patrick Head was quick to point out that the prizes are handed out on Sundays.

Webber’s sequence of laps was interrupted by an off-course moment at the final corner, which compromised not only the lap he was on but the following one too – but the Australian was happy to have outqualified his principal title rival Alonso.

Barrichello completed a banner day for Williams by taking sixth on the grid ahead of Renault’s Robert Kubica, whose Renault looked a handful on the slippery track.

Michael Schumacher took a solid eighth, five places ahead of his Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg, who blamed his Q2 exit on an obstructive Sebastien Buemi.

Massa and Petrov rounded out the top 10, while Adrian Sutil was an unexpected casualty of Q1 and will start from the back row once a five-place grid penalty carried over from the Korean GP takes effect.

Brazilian Grand Prix starting grid

1 HULKENBERG Williams

2 VETTEL Red Bull

3 WEBBER Red Bull

4 HAMILTON McLaren

5 ALONSO Ferrari

6 BARRICHELLO Williams

7 KUBICA Renault

8 SCHUMACHER Mercedes

9 MASSA Ferrari

10 PETROV Renault

11 BUTTON McLaren

12 KOBAYASHI Sauber

13 ROSBERG Mercedes

14 ALGUERSUARI Toro Rosso

15 HEIDFELD Sauber

16 LIUZZI Force India

17 GLOCK Virgin

18 TRULLI Lotus

19 BUEMI* Toro Rosso

20 KOVALAINEN Lotus

21 DI GRASSI Virgin

22 KLIEN HRT

23 SUTIL* Force India

24 SENNA HRT

* five-place grid penalty for dangerous driving in Korea

Button escapes from armed assailants

Jenson Button escaped unharmed after armed assailants approached the car that was taking him back from the Interlagos circuit on Saturday evening.

A statement issued by Button’s McLaren team said he was travelling in an armoured car driven by a trained police driver, who used avoidance techniques to flee the scene and deliver the world champion safely to his hotel in Sao Paulo.

The statement said: “On Saturday evening, on the way back from the Interlagos circuit to Morumbi (Sao Paulo), armed would-be assailants made an attempt to approach the car that was carrying Jenson Button.

“Neither Jenson nor the other occupants of the car were hurt. (The other occupants were [Jenson's father] John Button, [physio] Mike Collier and [manager] Richard Goddard.)

“Vodafone McLaren Mercedes had provided both Jenson and team-mate Lewis Hamilton with reinforced armoured vehicles driven by police drivers, who had been trained in avoidance techniques and were armed.

“The police driver of Jenson’s vehicle reacted swiftly and, using avoidance techniques, rapidly forced his way through the traffic, taking Jenson and the other occupants of the car immediately away from any danger and back to their hotel.”

The safety of the high-profile Formula 1 entourage at the Brazilian Grand Prix has been a source of concern for many years.

McLaren said that in response to the incident the Sao Paulo authorities would be laying on additional security to transfer its senior team personnel to and from the circuit on Sunday.

OZ

Only in south America ,i guess this is why there is no Mexican G.P

Webber pleased to be near front

Mark Webber said he was extremely pleased with the outcome of qualifying at Interlagos - both because he had managed to get ahead of title rival Fernando Alonso, and as he felt it would've been very easy to slip up in the tricky conditions.

Webber will start third in Brazil, behind shock pole-sitter Nico Hulkenberg's Williams and his Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel, but ahead of McLaren's Lewis Hamilton and points leader Alonso's Ferrari.

Qualifying had started wet, but by Q3 the track was dry enough for slicks, leading to the frantic end to the session.

"I enjoyed qualifying, it was a very, very challenging session for all of us," said Webber.

I think it's very easy in those conditions to get things wrong, so first of all we're very, very happy to be right towards the front, and to get something out of that last session.

"It was really, really tricky to get the clean laps in.

"I did my absolute best and it was pretty close between Seb and I.

"I think it would've been pretty good for people watching at home, and it wasn't without stress in the cockpit.

"So it was an enjoyable session and I'm happy to be at the front."

Webber goes into tomorrow's race 11 points behind Alonso in the standings, with 50 still available from the final two events.

The Australian paid tribute to Hulkenberg's effort, as the German rookie beat the title contenders by a full second in an incredible performance.

"The time that Nico did - obviously his car was working well and he was very confident and got the most out of it," said Webber.

"Congratulations to him on his first pole."

Vettel relieved to take front-row spot

Sebastian Vettel was satisfied to come through what he described as a “tricky” qualifying session with a front-row grid position for Sunday’s Brazilian Grand Prix after all drivers had to make a snap decision to switch to dry tyres midway through Q3.

The German title hopeful had looked on course to claim his 10th pole of the season after dominating most of practice and then was in the hunt alongside Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber for the fastest times in the wet, but drying, early stages of qualifying.

However, in the pole shootout both Red Bull drivers came up a long short to Williams rookie Nico Hulkenberg who produced a sensational performance once the top 10 had moved onto dry tyres to claim his maiden pole by over a second.

Vettel admits he had felt it had felt it had been touch-and-go whether the track was ready for slicks after the first run in Q3 and says that once on dries the surface was far from straightforward.

But while his final lap ultimately came up short for pole, he paid tribute to countryman Hulkenberg’s performance.

“It was a tricky session,” Vettel said.

“Obviously a tough call in Q3 after the first run on inters – the circuit looked dry but the last sector in particular was very tricky.

“But everyone in the end decided to go on dries.

“It [the track] was getting better and better but extremely difficult, slippery.

“First I thought I missed pole by a tenth but then I saw that there is another digit, it is a four instead of a five, so one second [gap]…so congratulations to Nico as it is very tricky in these conditions, very easy to do a mistake.

“Obviously we were targeting the pole, Nico was better than all of us today.”

With championship leader Fernando Alonso nonetheless only qualifying in fifth Vettel’s hopes of keeping his title hopes alive for the season finale in Abu Dhabi – he trails the Spaniard by 25 points – remain very much on course.

He added: “Still it was a tricky session and it good have been worse, so very happy with second.”

Alonso bullish despite being fifth

Fernando Alonso said he was not too alarmed to start behind three of his title rivals in the Brazilian Grand Prix, as he had not really expected to beat the Red Bulls in qualifying whatever the weather.

The points leader will start fifth at Interlagos, behind pole hero Nico Hulkenberg, Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber, and Lewis Hamilton's McLaren.

With the track conditions having changed rapidly as the circuit cried, Alonso said the priority had been avoiding the sort of disaster that befell title long-shot Jenson Button, who failed to reach Q3 and has to start 11th.

"I think Red Bull in front of us is not a surprise," said Alonso.

"On Saturday that has been the normal thing in the last 15 races so that is more or less expected.

"In a way we are happy - obviously pole position is our aim but in a difficult qualifying like this it's easy to go out in Q1, very easy to get knocked out in Q2, and we saw Jenson struggling there.

"So in the end we saved a tricky day with fifth place, which is more or less our position in dry conditions as well because normally Red Bulls are in front of us and sometimes Lewis too."

He admitted that he had feared not making it to the top ten at one stage, as the Ferrari had not been at its finest in Q2.

"On the drier circuit with intermediates, we were struggling and we were not very competitive," said Alonso.

"We went to Q3 with some luck - I think I was P8 and Felipe [Massa] P10, so it was not a great Q2.

"Then in Q3 the car felt much better with the dry tyres and we were able to be more competitive."

Alonso briefly got up to second place, but failed to improve on his last lap of Q3 so found himself shuffled back.

"The last lap was a little bit quicker, but I lost some tenths in a corner," he explained.

"There was a few centimetres of dry line and if you were not there you lost a lot of time.

"With those conditions, maybe only Nico did a perfect lap.

"I'm sure all the others lost a little bit here and there."

He said he was not counting on the intra-team tensions at Red Bull to create any opportunities for him tomorrow.

"There are some talks about them, but I think the more talk the more careful they take it because there will be a lot of eyes on them tomorrow at the start and I'm sure nothing will happen," said Alonso of Vettel and Webber, who start second and third two days after Webber voiced his belief that the team favours his German stablemate.

Alonso added that he did not resent Hulkenberg's presence among the front-runners at all - and actually hoped the German rookie could stay up front and deny Ferrari's title rivals a few points.

"If he takes the victory tomorrow it will be a present for us," said Alonso.

Lewis: I'm still in the fight from fourth

Lewis Hamilton is pleased to at least be in position to take the fight to his title rivals in the Brazilian Grand Prix, even if he feels traffic on his final Q3 lap cost him a higher grid spot than fourth.

The Briton, who trails championship leader Fernando Alonso by 21 points heading into Sunday's penultimate race, held provisional pole after the early damp laps in the top-10 shootout but was surpassed by the flying Nico Hulkenberg and the two Red Bull drivers once the field had switched to slick tyres.

And while he still starts one place ahead of Alonso, Hamilton was slightly frustrated to be only on the second row – pointing to a delay at the final corner which he claims cost him “at least another couple of tenths”.

“It’s better than nothing,” he told reporters when asked for his reaction to qualifying fourth.

“I’m often starting in fourth place at this track; it’s not my favourite spot but I can’t complain really.

“We gained a little bit everywhere [with the car since Friday] but I think really in qualifying I got held up right at the last corner.

“Someone was backing up in front of me and I lost a bit of time there so unfortunately that’s a little bit of a frustration.

“But otherwise we’re still in the fight – and it’s quite cool that Hulkenberg’s all the way up there.”

The McLaren driver though wasn’t getting carried away by the fact he starts one place ahead of the championship leader.

“Anything can happen in tomorrow’s race,” he said. “It’s a long race and I’m more focused on the guys that are in front of me.

“It’s not the perfect position to start from, but the inside [of the track’s] not so bad.”

Although he appeared downbeat about McLaren’s chances of taking the fight to Red Bull in the dry around Interlagos following Friday’s practice running, the Briton is optimistic about the MP4-25’s race pace and feels he can challenge his two rivals directly ahead.

“I think we have got good race pace, good end of straight speed,” Hamilton said.

“The car’s not feeling too bad. It wasn’t spectacular in the wet but in the dry it was definitely feeling a lot better just now.

“They [Red Bull] are quicker in the dry for sure. It’s a surprise they are not first and second, but we are close – we can still fight from there.”

Hamilton also doesn’t think the fact a rookie driver in the form of Hulkenberg starts ahead of the four main title contenders is a cause for concern.

“No, I think he’s experienced,” he said.

“Maybe not in pole position, but he’s an experienced driver so I don’t think it should be a problem."

Too far back to help Lewis, says Button

Jenson Button admits he is unlikely to be in a position to aid McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton’s title challenge in Brazil after he could only qualify 11th – a grid position he concedes has made his own championship quest “pretty much impossible”.

The reigning world champion had complained of a lack of grip and locking front brakes throughout Friday practice and little appeared to change in Saturday’s wet conditions as he followed up ninth place in final practice with an untimely Q2 elimination.

Button reckons his MP4-25 was actually handling slightly better in qualifying but says his attempts to haul himself into Q3 – something he eventually missed out on by just eight hundredths of a second – became academic when his new intermediate tyres wore out on his final flying lap.

“It’s been pretty tough for me all weekend,” he admitted.

“I’ve struggled with the car quite a bit getting a balance – the car was actually better for me in quali than it has been all weekend.

“We put new tyres on at the end of qualifying and my first lap was alright, but my second lap I damaged the tyres too much to get a lap out of them so I pitted.

“So it’s disappointing not to get in the top 10 but I’ve started from worse places here and done okay.”

Button had already acknowledged prior to the weekend that his 42-point deficit in the championship race meant his bid to become Britain’s first back-to-back world champion was a long shot, although he insisted he wouldn’t be giving up easily.

With his poor Interlagos grid position now having all but ended those faint hopes given he needed to at least finish second to have any chance of keeping in the hunt for Abu Dhabi, Button's role for the final two races looks set to be a support one for Hamilton.

However, having qualified seven places behind his team-mate on Saturday, he reckons he can do little to help him on Sunday.

“As a supporting role it’s difficult when you’re so far behind your team-mate…so I’m not going to be able to help him in that way,” Button said.

Button though is taking encouragement from his swashbuckling recovery drive from last year, when he missed Q2 then in wet conditions only to finish fourth in the race and claim the title, and thinks a decent points finish is still salvageable.

“I’m 11th so it’s the clean side of the grid which is good,” he said.

“We’ll see what happens: I’ve started from 14th before and had a pretty good race last year.

“My car this year is as good as I had here last year, at least, so I think we can have a good race.”

Brazil sees rise in bulletproof cars

By Gary Duffy

BBC News, Sao Paulo

Aluizio Coelho recalls in vivid detail the incident which persuaded him to buy a bulletproof car.

He was driving with his wife into the centre of Sao Paulo when a motorbike pulled up alongside his vehicle.

"Two guys were on the motorbike, and the guy behind had a gun. He asked for everything we had, and of course we said to him we will give you everything.

"But the problem was that the guy had such a nervous attitude, and it looked like he was using drugs. The risk of the situation was not only if we wanted to give away whatever we had, but if the guy was sure in his mind that he didn't need to shoot us.

"That was really what brought me to have a bulletproof car."

Aluizio, a former Formula 1 driver who now drives stock cars, bought his bulletproof vehicle second hand, and says it has brought peace of mind for him and his family.

"You have of course to keep in mind not to go where you shouldn't be going, but in a normal situation you are always feeling safer. It brings you comfort."

Growing market

A few miles outside Sao Paulo, at a factory producing bulletproof windows, you have to wear headphones to block out the deafening sound of gunshots.

Day after day, in carefully controlled tests, bullets are fired at the glass produced here to ensure that it is up to the required standard.

“ There is a continuing sense of insecurity, this urban violence in big cities. So once you are using a bulletproof car, you are much safer stopping at driving lights, driving at night ”

Christian Conde Antonio

President of the Brazilian Association of Bulletproofing

The impact is enormous, but in the tests we watched, the glass, just over 2cm thick, does its job. There are large and distinctive marks, but the bullets are stopped.

The tests are meant to reassure prospective buyers worried about the more sinister threats on the streets outside, such as kidnappings or armed robbery.

There are now estimated to be more than 50,000 bulletproof cars - blindados - on Brazilian roads. The business has been growing, almost without interruption, over the last decade, with an increase of around 20% per year.

Traders say a market that was once the exclusive preserve of Brazil's elite is opening up to wealthier sections of the middle class, due to easier credit arrangements and a growing second-hand market.

Urban violence

In the last six months of 2007 it is estimated that 7,500 bulletproof cars were sold in Brazil, according to research carried out by the Brazilian Association of Bulletproofing (Abrablin).

Christian Conde Antonio, the association's president, says the growth in the trade is largely because of the fear of violence and robbery in Brazil.

"There is a continuing sense of insecurity, this urban violence in big cities. So once you are using a bulletproof car, you are much safer stopping at driving lights, driving at night," he said.

He also agrees that the market is widening as a result of the changing economic situation.

"Credit in Brazil has become a little cheaper, a little easier and more accessible, and this is happening for bulletproof cars as well. Today you can... buy a car in stages and you can do this for the bulletproof protection as well."

The association says the average price of installing such protection is around $31,000 (£16,000).

One issue which contributes to the risks for motorists in Sao Paulo is the sheer number of cars. There are now six million in the city, and traffic jams can be enormous.

Armed robbers have been known to use this heavy congestion to single out vulnerable motorists, and it is often crimes like this which have driven the demand for bulletproof cars.

It appears that many victims of robberies do not report these incidents to the police.

Decreasing crime

But the man responsible for security in Latin America's largest city insists the overall picture is improving.

In 2000, there were 36 murders per 100,000 people but statistics for 2007 show that this was down to a rate of 11.6, says Ronaldo Marzagao, Sao Paulo's State Secretary of Public Security.

He acknowledges that the traffic problems in the city mean crime against motorists is an issue, but here too, he says, there has been an improvement.

"From last year, we have had a decrease in car thefts and robberies of people in vehicles of 40%, up to this point," he said.

"We have a considerable decrease, but we have not yet got a corresponding feeling, principally among the middle class and people in vehicles, of a sense of security.

"Security in real terms does not always mean a sense of security among every individual. It depends on your personal experience. I believe we have concrete data that crime rates are falling."

The crime levels may be falling in Sao Paulo, but the Master Blindagens factory is producing 25 bulletproof cars a month, and it is just one of 45 companies in the city.

New vehicles are stripped down and packed with protective material and reinforced glass. The process can cost between $25,000 to $45,000 to complete.

It seems for those who have the money, it is a price they are willing to pay.

Lets hope that Vettel has one as well :lol:

Some great posting there OZ!! :lol:

Firstly - Armed assailants trying to get Button!? :o It goes to show nobody is safe and what would have happened had they been taken. :huh: Great news Button and co are safe, but then, what happened to the assailants? Its a shame they were not captured as this could happen to anyone in any team.

Second - Hulkenberg on pole, that's a HUGE surprise but then again, this season has been full of them in more ways than one. :lol: That's really good news IMO, Vettel may be second place but I'm kinda hoping with Hulkenberg being out front, nerves may get the better of him with the immense pressure of those behind him and perhaps Vettel could have a small 'clash' leaving Webber to take the lead?

Lastly - Hamilton fourth and Alonso fifth, this is where Alonso is good, he'll take a back seat and allow events to unfold in front and he'll try and slip through the cracks to take the front position. Lewis on the other hand may take the outside (Dirty side) of the track should Vettel move in toward Hulkenberg before turn one. I won't be surprised if the safety car comes out at lap one as there are a few there that would be eager to get out in front for some clean air and a strong leading distance.

I'm possibly going to miss this race as the live telecast is at 3:30 am which sucks seeing I have to work tomorrow morning... :( Then again, I might call it an early night and set the alarm for an early rise and watch the GP. ;)

Enjoy the race all. :peace: